Gibson Brands Forums

Does Your Semi-Hollow Have A Big Or Small Hole?

New To Strats

In regard to Epiphone 335-type thin hollow guitars with a center block, there is some contention about whether or not the hole between the bridge pickup rout and the lower chamber is large enough to pass components (pots, switches) through. I know that some do, but I'd like to see how many. If you own (or have worked on) one, and have had the bridge pickup out, let us know.

I'm also in the "no hole" category (Lucille).

Peter ... have you ever had a look at what's behind the back cover of your Lucille? It looks like something NASA would design what with the circut board for the Vari-Tone and all the heavy cableing ... pretty impressive stuff!

Jim

I'm not real sure which way to vote. After loosening the strings enough to raise the pickup enough to shine a light in there, I can see that my '98 MIK has a square cutout approximately 1/2 " across. Plenty of room for wires to pass through, but I'm not sure about the pots. I don't have much experience with far-eastern guitar pots, but I know that the full size pots on my amp will not pass through that cutout...so is mine large or small?

I'm not real sure which way to vote. After loosening the strings enough to raise the pickup enough to shine a light in there' date=' I can see that my '98 MIK has a square cutout approximately 1/2 " across. Plenty of room for wires to pass through, but I'm not sure about the pots. I don't have much experience with far-eastern guitar pots, but I know that the full size pots on my amp will not pass through that cutout...so is mine large or small? [/quote']

Lifting might not get you a good enough view to tell, now if you pulled the PU out of the cavity on the other hand, then you'll have a clear view. If its really only 1/2" then I'd go with small.

Archived