Gibson Brands Forums

Love my Epiphone Les Paul Custom!

narc999

Hello Everyone,

I am learning to play this beast!

I have to tell you that it is by far the best guitar I have picked up and played.

Great sound and great look and feel.

I have a 2004 with cherry sunburst finish with a flame top.

Found it used at a local shop in the bay area... Perfect condition.

Please let me know if you have any websites you recommend to help me learn to play guitar!

rock guitar drillls will also work as well.

I am looking for a complimentary amp to go with it.

I like the crisp tone with rather little distortion.

I can create the distortion with my Logic Studio Mainstage application.

I have to say that the worksmanship on this guitar is a helluva lot better than ones I see at the Guitar Center.

Current epi LPs customs (white and black ones) are rather dodgey.

Finish isn't as good and doesn't sound as great either.

Is that the general consensus?

Thanks,

Narcolepsy

I'm not a fan of the white finish on the Epi Customs. It looks and feels like crap to me, and I've not seen a nice one yet. the transition between the finish and the binding always looks terrible, and I don't like the excessive contrast of that bidning with the white finish. However, I wouldn't say that either the Black or White finished ones are 'dodgy'. My guitar store has both, and they sound excellent. A lot more boomy and bassy compared to a Standard, which is a bit brighter I think. And they're certainly the better players in the store too, a lot of the Standards could do with a good setup.

BTW it's obligatory that you post pics of your guitar!

I will get it up as soon as I can...

I totally agree. the finish is totally superior on my guitar than customs at guitar center.

I am totally happy with my purchase!

Were Epi LP customs 04 guitars built in Korea or China?

New ones are built in china, and they just dont look as good.

Not sure if they were built in Korea

BTW: What are some great addons for this guitar?

Thanks,

Narco!

Give us the first letter(s) of the guitar's serial number, and we can tell you when it was made. Alternatively, put the whole thing in here:

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

I personally don't believe the location of manufacture matters all that much. You can get good and bad guitars from any factory. In fact, I now own 3 EE (QingDao, China) made Epiphones, and they are all beautiful, and I would in fact say the fit and finish on them is better than my old Unsung Korea built Firebird. And that wasn't sloppy!

The QingDao plant is, in my opinion, producing guitars of equal, and often better, quality than the old Korean plants. It is a dedicated Epiphone plant after all, so it makes sense to me that they should be putting together top instruments, since they speicalise in just Epiphones. I just have a beef with the White finished Customs, the black ones are fine. Mostly just my personal opinion, I don't like the cream binding on the white finish. The finish in my mind is too blindingly white. It looks like 'WhiteOut' correction fluid! And it never seems to meet seamlessly with the binding. You can always feel the transition if you run your hand over it.

As for add ons, about the only thing I can think of that you might want to add if you haven't already is a set of straplocks. Schaller ones are excellent. A Gotoh 103B-T bridge would also be a nice addition for better intonation. Aside from that, a Custom is a fine guitar as it is, and anything else you might like to change is your preference.

Hello Everyone' date='

I am looking for a complimentary amp to go with it.

I like the crisp tone with rather little distortion.

I can create the distortion with my Logic Studio Mainstage application.

Thanks,

Narcolepsy

[/quote']

Bear in mind that your amp choice is a full 50 % (if not actually more) of your overall tone equation.............

You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good sounding amp, but I DO suggest tubes over solid state, because studio applied distortion or gain, just won't sound as good in the finished product as what a real tube amp will produce.

While you're learning to play, 4 or 5 watts would be plenty to keep you going............if in doubt, 15-20w will fill any bill except playing with a working band.

Guest icantbuyafender
StrapLocks!

That was exactly what I was looking for!

Good call. I will look around to see if they gold color matches up!

Thanks' date='

Narco[/quote']

:/

My love (or lust) for LP customs began with a limited edition "antique white" custom

Im also a fan of the Alpine White Customs and studios.

I dunno why... I just like them.

I played a couple a few years back that were superb.

I love the boomier sound the customs have.

Other than the white, i like the black beauty as well... but Im not sure if I like the black beauty 3...

Those LP custom plus flame tops are hot stuff. At the time, i was just skeptical on the black pickguard on the cherryburst

Can you post pictures?

Bursts are bursts but I still love the white and antique white Customs.

I have been looking at getting one and mod it but I am still waiting for the 1959 to come...

But I hate the wait...

will totally get the picture out!

Fam is fighting off a cold so sleep is precious in my household.

Black pick guard is pretty sweet.

If it was white, it would make the guitar alot brighter, but the contrast is nice to my eyes.

Any specific amp you guys recommend?

Thanks,

NR

Ditto here for the Vox AD series,I have a Vox AD 120 VTH with a 4-12 BN cab with Wharfedale speakers and it's the most versatile modelling amp I've heard,you can pretty well nail the exact tone of 60s 70s 80s 90s Marshalls various Fenders,vintage Voxes,Mesa Boogies even Dumbles and the beauty of it is that you can pick them up on Ebay pretty cheap.I play my Eppy G 400 Custom Les Paul through it on the 80's Marshall setting and it's almost indistinguishable from my JCM 800 2204.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archived