Gibson Brands Forums

Rarely use 2 and 4 position on my Strat till...

Bangbang

OK fellas, for those of you considering mods on valve amps, this is probably "preaching to the choir", but be sure you discharge those B+ caps prior to touching anything. I use two small insulated alligator clips, connected by insulated wire, with a 100k/5w resistor in the middle of the connecting wire. Just connect between ground and B+, wait 10 seconds, then your circuit will be totally discharged. I know this has probably been beaten in the ground, but on my homebrew amp, those 47uF caps carry about 350VDC, and that will mess up your entire day if you provide a path to ground...yes, even when it's unplugged! :-s

I have an EVJ combo (modified with new speaker and tubes)' date=' and it does sound better with my Strat.

Mine is one of the earlier models that had the terrible hum- had to replace the jack.[/quote']

Mine works great but took some getting used to(all tube). Those 2 positions I mentioned on the strat just came alive and did some real hollering.

I've always enjoyed the sound of positions 2 and 4 on my Strat. It's a sound that you can't get with a dual pickup guitar. I don't particularly like the bridge pickup on mine. It's a little too "ice picky" for me. I've considered putting a humbucker on a new pickguard with some lace sensors but never acted on the idea.

Positions 2 and 4 depend on the pickup height for drive. The out of phase wiring takes some drive away when you switch if they are adjusted low. 2 and 4 settings are great rhythm sounds, especially if the other guitar player is playing a Les Paul or other dual humbucker guitar.

OK fellas' date=' for those of you considering mods on valve amps, this is probably "preaching to the choir", but be sure you discharge those B+ caps prior to touching anything. I use two small insulated alligator clips, connected by insulated wire, with a 100k/5w resistor in the middle of the connecting wire. Just connect between ground and B+, wait 10 seconds, then your circuit will be totally discharged. I know this has probably been beaten in the ground, but on my homebrew amp, those 47uF caps carry about 350VDC, and that will mess up your entire day if you provide a path to ground...yes, even when it's unplugged! [omg']

Two hard and fast rules for working on amp circuits: Keep one hand in your pocket when making measurements and make up and use an alligator clip cord with a 100 ohm 1 watt resistor in the middle for discharging caps!

A cap is dangerous because ALL the energy in a cap is discharged in milliseconds when you touch it. The plate caps can store many Joules of energy. It's like a firecracker going off in your hand.

Two hard and fast rules for working on amp circuits: Keep one hand in your pocket when making measurements and make up and use an alligator clip cord with a 100 ohm 1 watt resistor in the middle for discharging caps!

A cap is dangerous because ALL the energy in a cap is discharged in milliseconds when you touch it. The plate caps can store many Joules of energy. It's like a firecracker going off in your hand.

Excellent advice! The choice of resistor values will determine discharge rate...faster or slower. Actually' date=' with wire of the proper rating, you could use a straight piece of wire, but the high discharge rate would probably cause a little arcing and some noise, which I try to avoid to keep my skivvies clean. [blush

OK fellas' date=' for those of you considering mods on valve amps, this is probably "preaching to the choir", but be sure you discharge those B+ caps prior to touching anything. I use two small insulated alligator clips, connected by insulated wire, with a 100k/5w resistor in the middle of the connecting wire. Just connect between ground and B+, wait 10 seconds, then your circuit will be totally discharged. I know this has probably been beaten in the ground, but on my homebrew amp, those 47uF caps carry about 350VDC, and that will mess up your entire day if you provide a path to ground...yes, even when it's unplugged! [omg']

I'll have to remember that if I ever rebuild my organ's amp... (or if it ever needs repairs, or maybe even if i want to make it capable of distortion... after all, that'd be much easier to use than plugging into a guitar amp, and hell, it's 20w push/pull w/ 2 6v6's... that thing would sound GREAT overdriven...)

Archived