Gibson Brands Forums

What's you Favorite "Bedroom" amp?

CharlieBrown19Summer1969withMarshal.jpg

This was mine (Marshall "Major" (200 watt) Full Stack), when I was 19 (41 years ago).

I tend to use the Marshall AVT-20, for that "Marshall Roar," in the "bedroom" or "living room," now.

Or, and old 1982 Fender "Sidekick 35 Reverb." Don't own anything larger than my Fender Twin Reverb,

these days. Don't even get to use IT, that often. Mostly the Blues Junior, or HR Deluxe (even it's too loud,

at the "sweet spot"), for the small bars, and clubs I play in, anymore.

How about you all?! What's your farvorite(s) small practice or "bedroom" amp?

CB

When you say bedroom amp, do you mean the kind of amp you really crank because it's in your bedroom, or the kind of amp you keep the volume down on because it's in your bedroom? [biggrin]

If it's the cranking kind, my Marshall AVT100.

If it's the quiet kind, well then I just so happen to have one of these puppies under the metaphorical Christmas tree:

orangeminiamp_small.jpg

Had a quick blast with it when I picked it up from the shop the other day, and I must say that that little f***er wails! [biggrin]

These are my bedroom amps.

NanosAndCroaker.jpg

The Savage Croaker (former Crate) has a VVR, so it can actually be more quiet than a Nano, but the Nano's (and a scooter battery) are a must-have for when the power goes out. In the bedroom, an inefficient little Jensen P8r in my VJr combo helps burn off some power (and reduce bottom end) at night. P10r's are better for daytime bedroom jamming cuz they're almost as inefficient, yet they have a nice fat bottom to 'em. P10r's are even better downstairs in the garage with my twin Jr's and combined with Vintage 30's; so that's where they live most of the time. The Savage Croaker's pushing a Celestion Alnico Blue and Mesa Celestion 90/Black Shadow. I'm tapping the Croakers output jack for a line-out signal, which feeds the stereo chorus and delay, which feeds the two Twin Jr's power amps through their FX return jacks. 3-way wet/dry tone is a true wonder to behold.

CroakerAndTwins.jpg

One of these days I'll have to find time to get around to rebuilding all those combos. [biggrin]

Below is my homebrew 18watt with Heritage G12H-30 in the combo cab, and Heritage G12M in the closed back extension cab. It is neither a bedroom amp, nor is it a garage amp with those speakers. Too free Ken loud! [-([biggrin]

GigWorthy18w.jpg

Gil...

CharlieBrown19Summer1969withMarshal.jpg

This was mine (Marshall "Major" (200 watt) Full Stack)' date=' when I was 19 (41 years ago).

I tend to use the Marshall AVT-20, for that "Marshall Roar," in the "bedroom" or "living room," now.

Or, and old 1982 Fender "Sidekick 35 Reverb." Don't own anything larger than my Fender Twin Reverb,

these days. Don't even get to use IT, that often. Mostly the Blues Junior, or HR Deluxe (even it's too loud,

at the "sweet spot"), for the small bars, and clubs I play in, anymore.

How about you all?! What's your farvorite(s) small practice or "bedroom" amp?

CB[/quote']

Hey CB, weren't you in the Beach Boys? [biggrin]

Svet, now that is a Stylin' amp! I used to have something like it....in my avatar the amp is on top of that shelf behind the bass....that is a Fender Deco-tone. Basically a Blues Jr in a plastic molded case.....I loved it, and it broke, so I sold it to a buddy, because I had bought a Pro Jr.

Damn' date=' Jwalin...that SG seems to have some decent "bevels" on it...especially in

the horn areas. Which exact model is that? MIJ '61 SG? I just noticed too, it

has the Gibson headstock shape, like mine.

CB[/quote']

Yep, that's a MIJ SG. I put the Bigsby on it, and the GFS Mean 90's. It is a wonderful guitar...very resonant. It's a Bigsby B-70. The only thing is, I wish it was cherry like yours!!

Jeff

How do you like that little Fender Super Champ XD? I keep eyeballing one' date=' everytime I'm

in a music store, that carries them. Very tempting!

CB[/quote']

Charlie, I got mine off Ebay recently, new, for $280 and couldn't be happier.

I've had a Vox AD30VT for a few years, but was wanting something a little more, I don't know, dynamic? And I wasn't liking the reverb all that much. The Super Champ seemed to bring out the best in all my guitars in a way the Vox never did. I'm hearing things I didn't previously hear from them. And that Spring Reverb is great. And although it's only 15 watts, those 3 tubes inside seem to get that amp louder than the 1 tube 30 watt Vox. I also think the Amp models/voicings are better on the Fender than the Vox.

I rarely play the AD30VT anymore. But truth be told, for playing at lower volumes, the Vox is probably better because of the attenuator knob in back which allows you to reduce the wattage. That really comes in handy. It also has headphone access.

But unless I start playing in a bigger venue than my home, this little guy may be the last amp I ever buy. I really like it.

Hey CB' date=' weren't you in the Beach Boys? [-( [/quote']

LOL! I WISH! Although, at that time, I was more into "Blues Rock,"

"Led Zep," "Yardbirds," "Hendrix," etc. And, besides...there isn't a

"Beach" within 1700 miles, and any direction! ;>b

I did date 2 girls (back then) named Barbara Jean (not Ann), and Rhonda...

although she preferred her middle name "Lynn"...so...Oh, never mind! ;>)

CB

I know I've raved a out it all over the forum, but I'm gonna do it again. I love my little Laney Cub10.

Cub1001.jpg?t=1260670289

But, strictly speaking, I use both my amps in my bedroom, even my large Peavey Classic 50. With the kind of tone it offers, it's difficult to not want to use it all the time. I should really start going more places and taking my guitars with me so I can use the Laney for the prupose I bought it for.

.....The VOX is doing the "Bedroom-Job"[biggrin]

Peter

Peter how do you like the little DA5? I wanted one of those and went with a Pignose instead' date=' it's funny I have to find something "Quieter" than my Vox AC4 but even set to 1/4 Watt I get the "EVIL EYE" from she who must be obeyed.

I bought my Pignose for $25 and my brother got his for $10, both came from C.L. and his is newer/nicer than mine. Best bargain in an amp you'll ever find, they're really sweet when the batteries get weak, I'm going to find my 7.5v PS I have in my basement and try it, that ought to give it that weak battery sound.

At the moment I still have my brothers Pignose too (and mine) and I have to say 2 Pignose's and a stereo pedal is more than twice the fun of one lil piggy. I play them through my CHEAP (Delta labs - GC house brand) stereo delay pedal and they're great. EVERYONE should own one of these, just because!

In fact when my brother confiscates his I might buy another one, I used the Piggy with the AC4 and stereo pedal but "Twinn Piggs" is still best [cool

pig1.gif

Sledge, thought I'd chime in on the DA-5 inquiry... I bought (well traded into) mine after getting a Roland Micro-Cube. Between the two I found the DA-5 to be much more tone-ful; The Micro Cube was just too sterille and cold to my ears. That said the DA-5 is what it is a small battery powered amp with a bunch of onboard effects... almost too many, which is why I got rid of my Vox AD 30-VT. I'm really not into a lot of button pressin' and knob twistin' for that elusive electronic simulation of a sound. The DA does have enough merit in convience that nobody should be without one or something similar. Power outage, short trips, impromptu jammin', nooo problem; just don't expect to be blown away by walls of tonal bliss. The removable cover over the battery pack is a great place to store cables, accesories, or a can of your favorite liquid refreshment. Even the stock strap retainers could be swapped out for locks and your guitar's strap can double for the DA-5's carry handle; (I employed this trick when I was in a guitar class on a campus). The output switch will drop it all the way down to 0.5 watt so hopefully that'll be enough to quell the noise police, but if not there is not only a headphone jack but also a aux in and a mic in, (with volume adjust), as well. Using the supplied AC adaptor whenever possible the batteries, (six "C's"), can last a looooong time. I think I have to change mine about once a year on the average. For a backup, or just something to play through without a care or moments notice, they are, (IMHO), about the best thing out there. I got some info on a guitar workshop that was being held over the course of a few days on a college campus... they were renting DA-5's as a portable amp option to potential students that would need an amp in electric courses. That to me spoke about the highest praise that could be said of the DA-5... to be viable in a volume rental situation. I don't feel that they are as rugged and impact resistant as a Micro-Cube, but if you don't use the amp as a bowling ball: (this is in fact how a Guitar Center employee demonstrated a Micro-Cube to me), I think anybody would love one.

Wedgie

Archived