Gibson Brands Forums

SG Standard SET UP

daveinspain

Hi All... I finally got to Boston to pick up the 71 SG Standard I bought on Ebay several months back. First off I'm very happy its a great guitar :-) One thing, the guy I bought it from changed the original nylon saddles for replacement nylon saddles (He left the originals in the guitar case) The guitar also has its original ABR bridge. I notice that the new saddles do not have any grooves in them to hold the strings in place. Is that right? Should the saddles not be grooved to keep it better in tune while using the tremolo or something? I'd also like the action a little lower... Do I need to look for a guy who knows vintage SGs to do that? I'm in the Boston area now until the 7th of Feb.... Any suggestions on where to take it for a good set up before I go back to Spain?

Thanks, Dave

1284_3.jpg

It would be set up the same as any other SG from 07 or 61. The grooves in the saddle are there to keep the strings evenly spaced and over the pickup pole pieces, nothing to do with tuning or tremolos. So yes they should have some slight grooves cut into them. The grooves sometimes affect tuning, in that if they are rough and have burrs they can catch on the strings, but they are not there to help with tuning. I do not know any techs or shops in the Boston area, but check the phone book and call around. Make sure they know you only have a limited time so they can do it for you before you leave. As for the height you like, you might be able to explain using the SG, but if it is too far out of whack, try some other guitars in the shop and see if you can find one you like and ask them to use that as a reference. Nice SG I hope you didn't pay too much for it. It is not a rare or valuable guitar, but still a nice one. I prefer the smaller pickguard SGs.

Ok thanks for the info... I think I got the SG for a good price, I payed $2600.... I have seen 71 SGs sell for $1000 more that what I payed that are not as nice as mine. I like the large pick guard I thinnk it looks sexy as hell, ;-) It plays well and sounds amazing... I couldn't be happier. I just want to tweek the it to the best action possible before I go back to Spain... This is my only SG my other guitars are; 2007 Les Paul Classic cherry burst and a Robot Guitar. I love those too :-)

Dave

71SGfull.jpg

Archived