Gibson Brands Forums

Pickups for Ultra II

Nattsvart

I'm getting an Epi Les Paul Ultra II. And not that I think the original pickups are poor as such (Use Alnico Classic and Classic Pro) I think perhaps it could be worth putting something better on.

So, my questions is as obvious as it is hard to get a clear answer to: Which pickups should I pick?

As for music style I would say something that is versitile rather than excelling in one department. I like clean settings, play some metal (poorly!) and then a little bit of whatever i can manage to get thru.

As I said, I am sure the originals will sound pretty good to me but i happen to be in a situation where I can get some pickups with a good discount at this specific occasion and maybe it could be worth an upgrade after all.

Been looking at, for instance, Burstbuckers as one option.

I'm using a vypyr 30, and isnt likely to change that one anytime soon. I only play for hobby purposes at home in fact..... That is why I think the original ones should be quite adequate, it's just if you get a good deal it may be worth going that extra way even if it's not necessary.

Guest icantbuyafender

check out guitarfetish.com

good pups at a good price.

otherwise, gibson burstbucker pros a good choice. You the the PAF tone, with wax potting and alnico II magnets. No feedback like with the burstbucker 1,2,and 3 which arent wax potted. Since your ultra II has a piezo nano-mag, I'd stay away from the burstbucker 1,2 and 3.

help any?

After looking around I am starting to consider putting a Burstbuker Pro in the bridge and a '57 Classic in the neck. That should give a nice variety sound with a warm and soft rythm and a trebly and bright lead.

Of course i could go with active pickups like EMG but i dont really fancy that. Classic Gibson pups I think may be more my cup of tea.

Guest icantbuyafender

Burstbucker pros are waxpotted which is a great thing. I say a pair of these, or the seymour duncan vintage blues set: a sh1b and sh1bn that set goes for about $150 as opposed to the gibbys that are about $120 each.

Archived