Gibson Brands Forums

Matsumoku Oddity

mgrasso

This is running on e-bay right now:

RARE Gibson Epiphone Hollow Body Guitar Japan Made

The 3 piece wood grain body is interesting, but this has to be some sort of Frankenstein creation.

Does anyone recollect seeing this type of body on one of the other companies models? Aria? Grecco? Crestwood? Ventura?

The neck could be from a 70's Crestwood, but I thought the only neck with a bound headstock came with block inlays.

Pickguard and TRC are Epiphone.

Thoughts?

That was posted in another thread recently. Not sure if it was here or the Wiki, can't find it now.

Whoever knew what it was said the bolt-on neck was prone to weakness in the neck pocket and so wasn't worth much.

I did find a simialr one elsewhere, but without the 3-piece treatment. Could be kind of a cool guitar or just a waste of money, only one way to find out....

The only thing on that guitar that looks "Epiphone" to me is the neck and even that doesn't look like the neck that was fitted to the semi's of that time.

Seems to me that all the 70's Epiphone necks were more or less the same three piece maple bolt on jobs with some binding put on or left off as the case may be. I remember the ET280 had a bound headstock and dot frets so that may account for the neck but I've never seen a pointed TRC. The scratchplate looks too large and is the wrong shape. Nothing else looks right to me. The pickups don't look "stock" and the wood inlay on the vibrola is the wrong shape, in fact the whole vibrola looks wrong. Even the control knobs don't look right.

Maybe it was a Japan home market only model, maybe it's a fake. IMHO these guitars were such poor quality that I wouldn't buy one that was 100% guaranteed all original. I know some guys love them but I owned an EA250 in the 70's and it was pretty much the worst guitar I ever had.

I love the bit in the description that says "We also know that when Epiphone guitars were made in Japan they were considered to be a much higher quality guitar over the Korean Models they make now." In your dreams pal.

JG

My first guitar was an Epiphone EA-250 which fuels my interest in these antiques.

I agree that most did have problems with the neck pocket.

Also problems finding a clean one without binding separation at the cutaways.

Binding looks good on this one.

I just find the body interesting.

I did find a Vantage VSH455 that has a similar 3 piece body.

VantageVSH455.jpg

mg

I love the bit in the description that says "We also know that when Epiphone guitars were made in Japan they were considered to be a much higher quality guitar over the Korean Models they make now." Not in your dreams pal.

JG

Agreed. My 250 would always go out of tune. The electronics were crap.

My Korean models are far superior to anything from the early 70's.

Here's the link to the Wiki thread' date=' with more info on same guitar:

http://epi.p3net.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2816

[/quote']

Thanks for the link Brian. Interesting and accurate info from Gregzy.

I love all things guitar, especially Epiphone.

I find all oddities from this era fun to look at.

If I get the old sentamental itch to revisit my childhood (which won't happen til the onset of Alzheimers, I hope[blink] ) I would look into a 250.

As for the final bid, I would guess someone would go to $450.

Not enough for a semester.

mg

less the case he bought' date=' eBay and PayPal fees, he'll clear maybe $350. That's enough to cover application fees to a few colleges....[/quote']

Agreed, and for the $520.00 inc shipping the buyer could have bought something worth owning.

Archived