Gibson Brands Forums

Keystone buttons for Grover Rotomatics

bluesman345

I know that there are replacement metal and "pearl" keystone/tulip buttons available for Vintage Kluson-type tuners. Are there also keystone buttons that will fit onto the wider shaft of Grover Rotomatics? I have seen Rotomatics sold with metal keystone buttons, but can they be bought separately? [biggrin] Thanks for any leads...

They can indeed, from Allparts.

http://www.allparts.com/Chrome-Keystone-Buttons-for-Gotoh-p/tk-7715-010.htm

And even in gold

http://www.allparts.com/Gold-Keystone-Buttons-for-Gotoh-p/tk-7715-002.htm

They're said to be for Gotohs, but I imagine they'll fit on your Rotomatics as well. Don't quote me on that though. They're not overly expensive though, and I'm sure you could return them or sell them if they didn't fit.

The Gotoh won't fit' date=' but Allparts does carry them. I have purchased 4 sets from them. You have to call, because they aren't online. $15 plus shipping for chrome.[/quote']

I ran into the same problem on my Epi Elitist Broadway when I ordered the pearloid Imperial buttons.

The square holes on the buttons were just a tiny bit smaller, and wouldn't quite fit onto the Grover shafts.

Rather than have to return them and deal with border issues, I used a tiny file that I had handy to enlarge the square hole inside the pearloid buttons to get them to fit. It didn't take much filing, but it was tricky ,

something I would NOT suggest as an workaround, especially on metal keystones.

It's better to order the exact part.

I think I have two sets here. gold I'm sure I have.. I think there's another chrome set, too, they may be nickel I'd have to dig 'em out of the box. New.

TWANG

and carver is right.. I've sold lots of these and about one in three didn't fit.. but all did with a little filing.. even the metal ones.

I think I have two sets here. gold I'm sure I have.. I think there's another chrome set' date=' too, they may be nickel I'd have to dig 'em out of the box. New.

TWANG

and carver is right.. I've sold lots of these and about one in three didn't fit.. but all did with a little filing.. even the metal ones.[/quote']

Yes, TWANG, as long as you have the know how, the right tools and a little patience, you can make anything fit.

I like to customize my collection to my satisfaction by filing or replacing the nuts, the t-o-m and anything

else that I want to change. I guess I'm fussy that way..some would say.."leave well enough alone"

and keep it stock but I say.."why not?"

So far it has worked out for me. I even maked my own custom vintage look TP on

my Broadway and sent it out for gold plating..because I still prefer the Gibson style L5 tp,

over the Epi Frequensator.

On my homemade custom made semi-acoustic LP types..the skies the limit I suppose, when it comes to

experimenting and electrical wiring and modifications.

ThanK goodness I print up a manual , with the wiring schematics and details and put it in their respective cases..because if someone else inherits these someday, they at will least have a fighting chance of

troubleshooting them. (LOL!) ..specially the one with the added complexity of the LR Baggs piezo t-o-m

and blend preamp.

Here's an update on "button, button, who's got the keystone button?"

After exhausting all leads, I concluded that keystone buttons for my Grovers would be a special order. I was at my local music store today and found a package of cheapo "Dixon" brand 3x3 sealed chrome tuners with keystone buttons for $26.95. I thought, "what the hey", why not get salesman to take one of these buttons off and try it on my '56 Gold Top with Locking Mini-Rotomatics, which I brought with me. Well wouldntchaknowit, the chrome keystone button fit PERFECTLY on my Grover tuner [thumbup] I bought the pack of cheapo tuners and when I got home, I put the keystone buttons on my Gold Top. NO PROBLEMO!!! While I was on a roll, I grabbed my new Gretsch 5120 - I had installed a set of full-size Locking Rotomatics to replace the knockoff "STA-TITE" open-gear tuners that came with it. The Mini buttons I took off the LP are about the same size as the smaller buttons on the "STA-TITE" tuners, so now they are on the Gretsch...

I had a good day [biggrin]

I thought' date=' "what the hey", why not get salesman to take one of these buttons off and try it on my '56 Gold Top with Locking Mini-Rotomatics, which I brought with me. Well wouldntchaknowit, the chrome keystone button fit PERFECTLY on my Grover tuner [thumbup']

I bought the pack of cheapo tuners and when I got home, I put the keystone buttons on my Gold Top. NO PROBLEMO!!! While I was on a roll, I grabbed my new Gretsch 5120 - I had installed a set of full-size Locking Rotomatics to replace the knockoff "STA-TITE" open-gear tuners that came with it.

The Mini buttons I took off the LP are about the same size as the smaller buttons on the "STA-TITE" tuners,

so now they are on the Gretsch...

Good to hear that it all worked out for you. That was a stroke of luck, trying out a button at the store and

having it fit. Sometimes, necessity is the mother of invention(s) ...and you did an admirable job of utilizing

what you had to improve the looks and functionality of your Gretsch too.

This is the difference between doing things in person rather than having stuff come in by mail order..

...and things are supposed to fit, but sometimes they don't.

Archived