Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Special II GT

robintiba

I've been looking for a new guitar and found interest in the Epiphone Les Paul Special II GT but however, I've been unable to find any reviews or videos of it.. Does anybody here had any experience with the guitar before? Is it a full scale guitar? Will the tremolo work good ? :-k[confused]

Any help would be apreciated very much.

Thanks everyone! [biggrin]

No experience with it, but it is a full scale guitar.

Like all trems of that type- it will cause some tuning problems. Set it up well, with lube in the nut slots, make sure your strings are wrapped securely, and see what happens....about the only trem I am familiar with that doesnt cause tuning problems is a Floyd Rose type.

Modifying it with a silicone nut and locking tuners may help.

Thanks for the help man!

Is it hard to replace the nut ?

Nope! Just did the same on my Studio which had a broken neck. Just knock it off, clean the glue off and glue one on. Pretty much it in a nutshell, just go at it with a little less laisse faire than this post. It really is not hard to do, just do it with love.

Sheila

Hold on now, if the replacement nut is the proper radius, cut for proper depth (1/64th @ treble side - 2/64th's @ bass side), and proper spacing, then it's pretty much "plug and play". Some, like Musikron, seem to prefer a blank nut that is hand fabricated using "trial and error" until they get it right. I don't have the proper files to slot a blank nut, so I would have to get a "plug and play" version. There are so many available, in so many different styles and materials, that the correct choice may seem daunting. Thankfully, there's a lot of experienced people here that can help steer you in the right direction. [blink]

Hold on now' date=' if the replacement nut is the proper radius, cut for proper depth (1/64th @ treble side - 2/64th's @ bass side), and proper spacing, then it's pretty much "plug and play". Some, like Musikron, seem to prefer a blank nut that is hand fabricated using "trial and error" until they get it right. I don't have the proper files to slot a blank nut, so I would have to get a "plug and play" version. There are so many available, in so many different styles and materials, that the correct choice may seem daunting. Thankfully, there's a lot of experienced people here that can help steer you in the right direction. [cool']

Almost plug-n-play, but not quite. Pre-slotted nuts, like the well-made ones that GraphTech (Tusq) sells usually need the bottom to be sanded for the proper height. It is also a trial-and-error process, albeit much simpler than fabricating a nut from scratch. FYI, I don't support the better tone arguments about nut material - I replaced nuts that were worn out or broken.

• 8 years later...
  • 9 months later...
On 12/5/2018 at 1:05 PM, OldManEric said:

Does the tremolo on a GT have a lock? Is it compatible with a Floyd Rose style for parts (Asian I Assume)? Thank you. The first question should be easy for an owner. The second is a tough one.

The tremolo does not have a lock and I do not know the answer to your second question