Gibson Brands Forums

Strings for the Epi 'Dove'

Paulocon

Hi guys, just taken delivery of a brand spanking new 'Dove' in natural - Made in Indonesia' model. Had it set up prior to delivery, but it has had 12 gauge 'Ernie Ball' Earthwood strings put on it (and I must confess, I'm not mad about them).

Can anyone suggest any alternatives and what to expect from different strings?

I read on this forum someone had put 'Pyramid Gold Flatwounds' 11 gauge on their Epi EJ160 - would you recommend these on the 'Dove' if anyone has used them.

Cheers

Paulocon

I read on this forum someone had put 'Pyramid Gold Flatwounds' 11 gauge on their Epi EJ160 - would you recommend these on the 'Dove' if anyone has used them.

I have the Pyramid Gold Flatwound 11s on my Epi EJ160-E and I wouldn't recommend those strings on any acoustic guitar other than the John Lennon Epi. They are TERRIBLE acoustic guitar strings, but they do give you a Beatley tone. Let's be honest, they are electric guitar strings...they really don't belong on an acoustic guitar. On an acoustic guitar they sound like an electric guitar -- which is what The Beatle sound was (think "I Feel Fine" -- does that sound at all like an acoustic guitar?)

On a John Lennon Epi acoustic those Pyramid strings are right. The pickup on an EJ160 wouldn't pick up acoustic bronze strings. It needs electric guitar strings to function properly. But when played unplugged, the guitar with those strings doesn't sound very good at all. You put Pyramids on your Dove and that guitar too won't sound very good.

i would suggest martin strings every time for any acoustic

Please !!!! N0. Martin strings have a terrible squeak. I cannot stand that damn squeak. They are really only suitable for flat picking and actually best only for blue grass and then preferably with a rosewood' date=' or mahogany bodied instrument. The Earthwoods are of similar design. On a maple bodied guitar like a Dove, the squeak will be further noticeable, and even [i']transistory[/i]. Please get a polished, or coated string such as the Elixir nanowebs (great sound, long life), or the D'Addario EXPs. Another alternative that sounds good for maple, although they really limit your broadcast is a heavy steel string, or acoustic electric strings. They are kind of dull, though they have good ring and are quite playable. Back in the 70s, Gibson used to market an acoustic steel string. That was my favorite acoustic string of all time, and I really miss them.

I had a 75 Dove (Kalamazoo) and believe me, there is just nothing like those Elixirs for maple and other dense woods.

Martins just don't cut it. The only Martin Strings I do like are the 12 string silk and steels, but that is a whole separate topic.

Just bought a epiphone hummingbird from G.C.. The clerk told me that it has Gibson strings on it and that they were ok. He also sold me Elixir nanoweb strings and said they would be much better.

Of course he told you they would be better, they make more money on those than any other in the store.

Good response and some good advice guys - cheers all. Also I can't decide whether to go for 11 gauge or stick with 12 gauge. I just feel that 12 gauge are a bit heavy and make the sound a bit too boomy and bassy, if that makes sense. Would prefer a more cleaner crisper sound therefore thinking the 11 gauge would be more suited to the sound I want.

regards

Paulocon

Please !!!! N0. Martin strings have a terrible squeak. I cannot stand that damn squeak. They are really only suitable for flat picking and actually best only for blue grass and then preferably with a rosewood' date=' or mahogany bodied instrument. The Earthwoods are of similar design. On a maple bodied guitar like a Dove, the squeak will be further noticeable, and even [i']transistory[/i]. Please get a polished, or coated string such as the Elixir nanowebs (great sound, long life), or the D'Addario EXPs. Another alternative that sounds good for maple, although they really limit your broadcast is a heavy steel string, or acoustic electric strings. They are kind of dull, though they have good ring and are quite playable. Back in the 70s, Gibson used to market an acoustic steel string. That was my favorite acoustic string of all time, and I really miss them.

I had a 75 Dove (Kalamazoo) and believe me, there is just nothing like those Elixirs for maple and other dense woods.

Martins just don't cut it. The only Martin Strings I do like are the 12 string silk and steels, but that is a whole separate topic.

Not being funny but their all i use and i have naver had a problem with them.

On my AJ-500R I have used the D'Addario EXP Phospher Bronze coated light strings for most of the two years I've had the guitar. I've also tried Martin PB lights, Martin mediums, Elixir lights, Gibson Masterbilt lights, and I even tried a set of the Blugrass combos that have medium bass strings and light trebles. My preference is the D'Addarios by far.

• 2 weeks later...
Not being funny but their all i use and i have naver had a problem with them.

All Martins have a horrendously terrible squeak. They are resonant' date=' I'll give them that but they are designed for flat picking. With a maple bodied instrument the resonance is thicker, more forward. A squeaky string would be unbearable.

On my AJ-500R I have used the D'Addario EXP Phospher Bronze coated light strings for most of the two years I've had the guitar. I've also tried Martin PB lights' date=' Martin mediums, Elixir lights, Gibson Masterbilt lights, and I even tried a set of the Blugrass combos that have medium bass strings and light trebles. My preference is the D'Addarios by far.[/quote']I'm going to try a set. Heard they were good. How's the life?

Good response and some good advice guys - cheers all. Also I can't decide whether to go for 11 gauge or stick with 12 gauge. I just feel that 12 gauge are a bit heavy and make the sound a bit too boomy and bassy' date=' if that makes sense. Would prefer a more cleaner crisper sound therefore thinking the 11 gauge would be more suited to the sound I want. ... [/quote']

Well, that really depends on the style you play, what feels right to you, and the sound you want to get. I'd say, experiment. I have three acoustics, and I tune one to open D and the others are a standard tuning usually a 1/2 step flat. For the D, a mahogany body, I use 12s, for my standard, I use 11s. But I do a lot of chord slides, play a jazzy sometimes double handed style, with hammers and pull offs (hince the increased susceptibility to squeaks). I would say, if you do a lot of pulls, definitely go thinner. One thing I do to temper the boomy/bassy, use a brass bridge pin to crisp things a bit. For a little more cream, I use an ivory pin.

Not a good photo, but here is an example. 4 Pierce bells on the wound strings, and two Tusqs on the 1st and 2nd. This is how I normally string my Songbird.

SWBridgepins.jpg

Please !!!! N0. Back in the 70s' date=' Gibson used to market an acoustic steel string. That was my favorite acoustic string of all time, and I really miss them.

[/quote']

Try Black Diamonds. I had a couple of their phospher bronze sets I have had around awhile and just put some on my Hummingbird Artist (and I am a Martin SP user most of the time).

I don't know what formula they are using in their strings but they have more of a steel sound to them than the other phospher bronze makers.

I am familiar with nearly all the acoustic string brands and how they sound and I am really liking the the Black Diamonds right now. It seems to have a more 60s woody tone rather than the acoustic sound of today.

On a John Lennon Epi acoustic those Pyramid strings are right. The pickup on an EJ160 wouldn't pick up acoustic bronze strings. It needs electric guitar strings to function properly. But when played unplugged' date=' the guitar with those strings doesn't sound very good at all. You put Pyramids on your Dove and that guitar too won't sound very good.

[/quote']

I can't remeber the brand name, but a company makes these "zebra" strings, with alternating winds of phosphor-bronze and nickel-steel. Designed to be picked-up by a magnetic pup, yet get still have a good acousic tone. Might want to check those out.

I can't remeber the brand name' date=' but a company makes these "zebra" strings, with alternating winds of phosphor-bronze and nickel-steel. Designed to be picked-up by a magnetic pup, yet get still have a good acousic tone. Might want to check those out.

[/quote']

juststrings_2089_26569522

Archived