Gibson Brands Forums

can anyoe help me figure out the year of this guitar??

daddysgirl

I have a Gibson Epiphone it says made in Korea serial number S9317951 that was left to me by my father when he passed, I do not wish to sell it just curious what year it's from and how much it's worth and any other history on it! When i try to google the serial number it says item can not be found so if any one has any information please help! thankyou [blink]

I belileve the "S" in front means it was made by Samick' date=' in Korea.

It would help a lot if you could post pics of the guitar.

Welcome to the forum.

Brad[/quote']

I hope that pic helps i have a couple more if this one is not good enough thankyou

Check your serial number again then go to this link http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx and enter it in the relevent box. That should give you the the factory and year of manufacture, however, the serial number you have given in your post is unrecognised so check it again. As Brad already said it looks like it was produced by Samick (by the S at the beginning and the fact that it was made in Korea) and as for a model I would say that it's a Sheraton. It's not a really "Vintage" Epiphone so value is going to be what someone will offer you for it. Check on eBay for similar models.

Hope that helps. (Actually you would have done better to post this in the Electrics section)

JG

I have a Gibson Epiphone it says made in Korea serial number S9317951 that was left to me by my father when he passed' date=' I do not wish to sell it just curious what year it's from and how much it's worth and any other history on it! When i try to google the serial number it says item can not be found so if any one has any information please help! thankyou [blink] [/quote']

Hi, sorry to hear of your father's passing. He had a very nice guitar, I love those older Sheratons made by Samick.

The first Samick made Sheratons were made in 1986, and the early ones had serial numbers on little white stickers. Around 1992/1993 they started coding the serial #s to indicate the date of manufacture. Since the number you posted doesn't match that format, I'm going to guess it was manufactured between 1986 & 1992. Unfortunately, the early numbers seem to be random, so it's hard to pin it down to a specific year. However, we can narrow it down a bit.

You mentioned it's a Gibson Epiphone. Does it say Epiphone by Gibson on the headstock??? If it does, it was made between 1986 - 1989. They dropped the by Gibson in 1989, so if it just says Epiphone, we approximately can date it 1989 - 1992. Hope that helps.

epi%20sheraton%20neck.jpg

Hi' date=' sorry to hear of your father's passing. He had a very nice guitar, I love those older Sheratons made by Samick.

The first Samick made Sheratons were made in 1986, and the early ones had serial numbers on little white stickers. Around 1992/1993 they started coding the serial #s to indicate the date of manufacture. Since the number you posted doesn't match that format, I'm going to guess it was manufactured between 1986 & 1992. Unfortunately, the early numbers seem to be random, so it's hard to pin it down to a specific year. However, we can narrow it down a bit.

You mentioned it's a Gibson Epiphone. Does it say [i']Epiphone by Gibson[/i] on the headstock??? If it does, it was made between 1986 - 1989. They dropped the by Gibson in 1989, so if it just says Epiphone, we approximately can date it 1989 - 1992. Hope that helps.

epi%20sheraton%20neck.jpg

Thankyou for all your help actually the guitar looks just like the one in the pic you posted, on the head stock it says Epiphone by Gibson and its got the little intricate floral design it truely is a beautiful piece of work to me, but I thought that might have had something to do with the sentimental value!! Like I said I do not wish to sell it, just curious to know how much she might be worth if anything? once again thankyou for all your help!!

Thankyou for all your help actually the guitar looks just like the one in the pic you posted' date=' on the head stock it says Epiphone by Gibson and its got the little intricate floral design it truely is a beautiful piece of work to me, but I thought that might have had something to do with the sentimental value!! Like I said I do not wish to sell it, just curious to know how much she might be worth if anything? once again thankyou for all your help!![/quote']

Rough estimate $400 to $450 depending on condition. New ones sell for around $599, but personally I would rather have one of the older ones like your Dad's.

Rough estimate $400 to $450 depending on condition. New ones sell for around $599' date=' but personally I would rather have one of the older ones like your Dad's.[/quote']

It's pretty much in mint condition i think he only played it maybe a hand full of times and he bought it brand new!!

Archived