Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bluefoxicy

Any comments on a Blackheart BH1H 1 Watt?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-Killer-Ant-BH1H-1W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=488006

This thing. I have a Vox DAW5 solid state but I'm tiring of it quickly and I want a tube amp again. My tube amp is LOUD 5W Epiphone VJ, which is a nice amp but really... something quieter at gain volumes would be nice.

I'd actually like a stock VJ V3 or current (is there a V4 yet?) for clean tones, but when that volume goes up to get gain... too loud.

I'm going to see if my local Guitar Center has one... I haven't decided if it's feasible to carry a VJ to practice with my teacher yet, I could do VJ through 12 inches.

well I have the Black Heart 5 watter and no complaints here, there are tons of vids on Youtube to check it out, I have been thinking about getting my self lately ...there's a pretty sweet bitmo mod for it to, and I also think at least one member one here has one I asked him about his but i cant really remeber who it was heres that video

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I'd add a pentode triode to the vj.

and switch to a lower power preamp tube.

and then add an nfb.

voila.. low volume cleans.. put a pedal in front for overdrive.

well I have the Black Heart 5 watter and no complaints here' date=' there are tons of vids on Youtube to check it out, I have been thinking about getting my self lately ...there's a pretty sweet bitmo mod for it to, and I also think at least one member one here has one I asked him about his but i cant really remeber who it was heres that video

[YOUTUBE']

[/YOUTUBE]

Yep I've got a BH5H terrific amp. Great build quality. I'm sure the same is for the Ant Killer, but never tried it.

voila.. low volume cleans.. put a pedal in front for overdrive.

You misunderstand. I f@*%ing hate solid state drive. It's a novelty item: I want to play Rock You like a Hurricane, I set my Vox DAW5 to High Gain 2, and play.

Tube drive is fun, it's responsive. I can actually play La Grange, but with my Vox or a pedal I'm flipping switches or just dealing with the drive. With the VJ, volume up too loud, I can fingerpick the clean parts (they're VERY warm) and then move my thumb to slide the pick up into my fingers and WHAM, DISTORTION. Don't even need to roll the volume knob on my guitar.

Why would I buy a tube amp and then put the "Drive" switch from a solid state amp in my pedal chain? I already have an amp with 12 different modes of that built in.

You misunderstand. I f@*%ing hate solid state drive. It's a novelty item: I want to play Rock You like a Hurricane' date=' I set my Vox DAW5 to High Gain 2, and play.

[/quote'][biggrin]

I know what you mean.. since I play the tune and through my vj..

It's a pretty good pedal that has the ability to clean up when turned down so you can switch between the two parts on la grange.

on the other hand.. you can just stomp the pedal and get the hot part using the tube amp for the soft.. and even with my ds1.. or washburn soloist

it's possible to get very close to what you need the power for.

Still..

you want pure tube tone and responsiveness at very low volume.. go for it.

Personally, when I want that, I use all five watts..

and when I'm practicing, I use a pedal to avoid the volume.

You seem to have to have it.

As far as novelty item goes.. that's pretty harsh considering how many records you own that use them.. inc. the rev. billy..

and I'd also like to say. it's impossible for me to guess what volume you want to play at...

so, with nfb engaged, the pentode/triode switched in.. you may not be 1Watt. but you're still going to be much much lower in volume than

the vjs full potential. with an 8" speaker I'd bet it would work for both..

just crank the vj.. and use your guitar volume to go from clean to dirty.

which is what I was really driving at..

just crank the vj.. and use your guitar volume to go from clean to dirty.

which is what I was really driving at..

Easy enough, no? I ain't sure what the op is after, anymore.....is op ocd ???

When you add a pentode/triode swith to a vj you cut its volume down quite a bit.

It still breaks up, it's just not as loud.

When you add an NFB you cut the volume down quite a bit as well.. and while it breaks up later, it's still not nearly as loud as

the vj without nfb.

So with those two mods, you've dumped a lot of volume.. but not lost your break up.

Now,I happen to think that a gain pot on the panel really adds to this..

but either way..

you just turn your amp up to the drive you want.. back off your volume and play the intro softer part of la grange

then hit the volume when it get crazy

and you're still not very loud.

On my guitar with twin humbucks I use the treble bleed mod.. I just flip to the neck pup, volume set low already.

then flip up to the bridge at full volume.

sweet full and tubey at the lower setting.. and then cranks like a mother.

Even a 1 Watt amp can be described as loud.. so.. I just thought since you had a vj that would be an option and save you buying a whole new amp.

As far as pedals go.. another thing I do is use one.

When I want to get really soft in volume.. I don't really worry about great tone.. In fact, I usually use my micro cube since it's no tubes at all and playing that soft if about practice for me, working on not stinking, more than anything else.

Apparently you have a different criteria.. that's not bad, just not what I was thinking.

TWANG

You misunderstand. I f@*%ing hate solid state drive. It's a novelty item:

FWIW, FET circuits can flat out nail the front of any tube amp you want them to emulate. It's the output section that cannot be duplicated w/SS. Yet.

Believe it or not 1 watt isn't going to be drastically less volume than 5. You might want to consider adding a VVR circuit to the Vjr.

Then again, it seems that the 1 watt blackhearts are going used for around $100, so it's easy enough to snag one to try. Should be easy enough to get your money out of it, if it ends up not working out for you.