Gibson Brands Forums

Can some one explain.............

sledge57

Epiphones naming system? My brother was looking at an Epi and asked me a question about the price and I don't know the answer.

Say you're looking at a LP, there LP std's, classic's, ultra's etc.......

Is there a way to tell the nicer ones from the cheaper (when new) by the model names?

I've run into this with SG's too, at one time I wanted one but have no idea what the difference is between the different versions.

Epiphones naming system? My brother was looking at an Epi and asked me a question about the price and I don't know the answer.

Say you're looking at a LP' date=' there LP std's, classic's, ultra's etc.......

Is there a way to tell the nicer ones from the cheaper (when new) by the model names?

I've run into this with SG's too, at one time I wanted one but have no idea what the difference is between the different versions.[/quote']

If you go to the Epiphone website, they have descriptions of all the different models.

Among the common models (LP's and SG's) the model names in descending order of cost, features and decoration are:

Custom (most binding and fanciest inlays)

Standard

Studio (minimal decoration, usually no pickup covers)

Special (minimal decoration, on LP's the Specials are flat-topped mahogany, not arched and no maple cap or veneer)

Junior (only one pickup)

Among the common models (LP's and SG's) the model names in descending order of cost' date=' features and decoration are:

Standard

Special (minimal decoration, on LP's the Specials are flat-topped mahogany, not arched and no maple cap or veneer)

Junior (only one pickup)[/quote']

i couldn't tell where your signature started :-

Among the common models (LP's and SG's) the model names in descending order of cost' date=' features and decoration are:

Standard

Junior (only one pickup)[/quote']

And if they have a number in the name they're generally at the more budget end of the spectrum with bolt necks and cheaper woods and hardware eg. LP100, SG G310. The special version of the SG is the most budget of the lot.

The G-400 is somewhat of an exception to my number 'theory'. I wonder why they don't use the name '61; or standard for the '66 G-400 reissue?

Archived