Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Svet

Naked Lesters

What do you guys think? I’m now in the LP sans PG camp as I find the guitar much more pleasing without the guard. What do you think? Here are the before and after pictures:

lesters.jpg?t=1261346839

lpsangaurd.jpg?t=1261346876

Mine is still off after the post by Swoop but I'm, as yet, undecided. I really like the look for a change but it's just those holes that are bugging me. Also, my honeyburst is lighter than Swoop's and the top on mine just looks a little too 'empty'. I'm beginnng to think that the sans PG look suits guitars with darker bursts better. I think your photo proves it. The tobacco/vintage sunburst one second from left looks killer. The quilt top on the right looks OK too because the finish has more to it.

Alan

Hi Alan, I see what you are saying regarding the darker bursts. That is a Gibson 59 RI so as mentioned on another board it looks more modern without the pg. I also am a little cautious about how it looks with the screw holes. I've got the screws inserted in the guitar so I don't lose them but that kind of looks odd too. The one on the far right is the Elitist Tak Matsumoto and it is the only guitar in the photos that actually came without a PG and it isn't drilled for it. I couldn't remember what forum the thread was on but I guess it was this one and Swoops post. I wanted to tag this to that post. Oh well

For me it depends on the individual guitar in question. Some get em', some don't. My Custom Plus LP looks weird without the guard. But my standard looks better without.

I have the same issues with my Sherry, on off on off on off....

I've got the screws inserted in the guitar so I don't lose them but that kind of looks odd too.

I use sealed up transparent sandwich bags to store parts and their screws. My two tremelo equipped guitars currently have their rear trem cavity covers removed. Each is in a separate bag along with the appropriate screws. My LP pick guard is also in another sandwich bag along with its two screws.

There's your naff tip of the day.

Nice '59 reissue BTW - I wish I could persuade the Mrs. to let me buy one of those. Unfortunately, if I went ahead and got one, the remaining sandwich bags would not be filled Monday to Friday!

I use a set of little cosmetic containers I bought at CVS for $5, each guitar gets its own little bottle or vial, and these get labeled and placed in my parts drawer.

Looking good Svet. I do agree that the no PG look suits darker bursts better. And I also think it depends on the guitar. A GoldTop or a Custom in my mind must have a pickguard.

Generally though, I don't really have a preference. I think it looks just as good off as it does on, and I'll probably put it back on at some point. I just really dig how mine looks without the PG. Especially now I've moved into a different room, and the lighting is different, the flame looks great! I'm normally extremely pedantic about exposed screw holes, but I can live with the PG holes because I know that they serve a purpose. Exposed set screw holes in the back of the headstock though do not, and so I refuse to have them!

I also use ziplock bags to store spare parts and things

My LP came with the p/g in a bag with the hardware. I wasn't crazy about drilling holes so I played it for a while without, but something in me just said it needed one. I wound up buying one of those screwless guards from a guy on the Gibby forum.

DSC00047.jpg

Guest icantbuyafender
What do you guys think? I’m now in the LP sans PG camp as I find the guitar much more pleasing without the guard. What do you think? Here are the before and after pictures:

lesters.jpg?t=1261346839

lpsangaurd.jpg?t=1261346876

NAKED LESLIES ALL THE WAY

sans pickguard, and sans toggle switch washers

Hey SVET I think they look great w/out the PG but I think the GT needs the pickguard to go along with the cream P-90's. My Gibby doesn't have the PG but my 56'GT RI and my 57' LP Jr. RI have the PG's.

I think if you have a nice piece of wood to show off - take the PG off, if it is a solid colour (LP Custom etc) I think it looks better on.

7C

I'm a tried and true pickguard kinda guy, Svet ... but I must admit that these guitars would look amazing no matter what you did to them! Poor Goldie does look the most naked of all though ... give her back some of her modesty, buddy!

Jim

My Gibby Les Paul came with the pick guard taken off and stashed in a plastic bag and a medicine bottle for the hardware. I put it on for about a month then removed it. I think the guitar looks cooler without it.

LESPAUL.jpg

Hey SVET I think they look great w/out the PG but I think the GT needs the pickguard to go along with the cream P-90's. My Gibby doesn't have the PG but my 56'GT RI and my 57' LP Jr. RI have the PG's.

I agree' date=' the GT needs a guard, otherwise show off the tops!

No guards:

[img']http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f326/zeplin63/Guitars/2000EpiLPClassicAmberQuilt_2.jpg[/img]

2003EpiLPStdAmber2.jpg

2004GibsonLPStdIcedTeaPups.jpg

DSCN5652.jpg

2004GibsonLPStdIcedTea_9.jpg

2001EpiLPStdCherry_4.jpg

Same one with guard:

2001EpiLPStdCherry.jpg

Hi Alan' date=' I see what you are saying regarding the darker bursts. That is a Gibson 59 RI so as mentioned on another board it looks more modern without the pg. I also am a little cautious about how it looks with the screw holes. I've got the screws inserted in the guitar so I don't lose them but that kind of looks odd too. The one on the far right is the Elitist Tak Matsumoto and it is the only guitar in the photos that actually came without a PG and it isn't drilled for it. I couldn't remember what forum the thread was on but I guess it was this one and Swoops post. I wanted to tag this to that post. Oh well[/quote']

Finally got around to doing some 'on vs. off pick guard' photos of my Honeyburst Epi LP Standard Plus.

The burst on mine is, I think, lighter than Swoop's. So, as mine is neither light nor dark in finish, what does everybody prefer on an 'in-between' burst?

DSC02062.jpg

DSC02063.jpg

DSC02064.jpg

DSC02065.jpg

DSC02066.jpg

DSC02067.jpg

I like the look of both. However my picking technique somehow allows me to do without and since I believe a guitar should be functional I've removed all PGs.

This is an old pic and is missing 2 LPs(both naked) but they don't fit the couch anyway.

file.php?id=1031&mode=view