Gibson Brands Forums

Question about a weird Epiphone I saw

Levish

Few days ago I saw a weird Epiphone on a very cheap sale.

I'm trying to get the name of this guitar maybe on of you can indenify it.

Well where the body meets the neck there was a peice of metal says "Epiphone Les Paul

Although the guitar looked exactly like SG series.

it also have 3 Embakers

and the pickup switching button was Orange with 3 moods

Also it have 4 numbs on it 3 for volume and 1 for tone

the dude on the store said it a really vintage guitar...

Hope that somebody can help define this guitar cos it was really low price

It sounds like an SG Custom to me.

When the SG was introduced in 1961, it was actually supposed to replace the Les Paul body style but keep the name. For any number of reasons, they dropped the name.

The SG Custom is supposed to be a close copy of the 1961 model, so they included the Les Paul logo.

NO SG had a "Bolt On Neck," until they became Epiphones, and came from Asia.

ALL the original (American) Gibson SG's even the melody maker(s) had (and still have)

set necks. The neck joint itself has been through some different configurations,

for various (mostly Strenth) related reasons, and I suppose some "aesthetic" concerns,

too...but, they've always been "Set neck!"

CB

He's talking about the piece of plastic between the neck pickup and the 22nd fret.

epi_g400_pic.jpg

bingo it was that guitar

what's your opinion on it?

I mean it kinnda have only 1 tone even when you switch between the pickups and it has a really bassy tone

but the price was so low->324$

it has been used but looked as new not a scratch on it

It sounds like an SG Custom to me.

When the SG was introduced in 1961' date=' it was actually supposed to replace the Les Paul body style but keep the name. [b']For any number of reasons, they dropped the name.[/b]

The SG Custom is supposed to be a close copy of the 1961 model, so they included the Les Paul logo.

The Les Paul SG was introduced in 1960 because the original LP that Les Paul endorsed was

(at least temporarily) discontinued in 1960..reasons unknown..possibly due to declining sales.

Gibson also was looking for a new look and better sales in the new "60s" decade.

Because the contract with LP had expired in 62, the Les Paul name and the nameplate on the SG were dropped in '63. But this was (probably) due mainly to the split from Mary Ford, so Gibson (at least for a while), couldn't make any more of the officially endorsed Les Pauls , at least until the royalty issues were resolved in the divorce process, and further negotiations could proceed between Les Paul and Gibson.

Also from what I've read, there is also some rumoured controversy that Les Paul himself (possibly)

refused to endorse it at a certain point in the 60s.

He didn't like it as much as the first LP model, he didn't like the shape, complained about the horns,

..." a person could kill themselves on those horns" LOL, the fact it did 't have a maple top, neck was too skinny ,

the way it joined the body, the balance, lack of sustain, and there wasn't enough wood in it in his opinion.."so he called up Gibson and asked to take his name off the guitar.

In spite of the so called controversy surrounding his endorsement of the SG, he was pictured with it in the early

60s in various promotional photographs by Gibson , although he played mainly the original design LP on stage.

So obviously there is some controversy surrounding his name being removed..and the key people involved

with that decision are now gone.

BTW..the SG might also stand for "Sculptured Guitar" as this was discussed in my book.

It was the first Solid Guitar body that Gibson introduced that had sculptured lines.

The Les Paul SG was introduced in 1960 because the original LP that Les Paul endorsed was

(at least temporarily) discontinued in 1960..reasons unknown..possibly due to declining sales.

Gibson also was looking for a new look and better sales in the new "60s" decade.

Because the contract with LP had expired in 62' date=' the Les Paul name and the nameplate on the SG were dropped in '63. But this was (probably) due mainly to the split from Mary Ford, so Gibson (at least for a while), couldn't make any more of the [b']officially endorsed Les Pauls [/b], at least until the royalty issues were resolved in the divorce process, and further negotiations could proceed between Les Paul and Gibson.

Also from what I've read, there is also some rumoured controversy that Les Paul himself (possibly)

refused to endorse it at a certain point in the 60s.

He didn't like it as much as the first LP model, he didn't like the shape, complained about the horns,

..." a person could kill themselves on those horns" LOL, the fact it did 't have a maple top, neck was too skinny ,

the way it joined the body, the balance, lack of sustain, and there wasn't enough wood in it in his opinion.."so he called up Gibson and asked to take his name off the guitar.

In spite of the so called controversy surrounding his endorsement of the SG, he was pictured with it in the early

60s in various promotional photographs by Gibson , although he played mainly the original design LP on stage.

So obviously there is some controversy surrounding his name being removed..and the key people involved

with that decision are now gone.

BTW..the SG might also stand for "Sculptured Guitar" as this was discussed in my book.

It was the first Solid Guitar body that Gibson introduced that had sculptured lines.

I know all the reasons, I just didn't feel like writing them out.

bingo it was that guitar

what's your opinion on it?

I mean it kinnda have only 1 tone even when you switch between the pickups and it has a really bassy tone

but the price was so low->324$

it has been used but looked as new not a scratch on it

IRRC, it is set up like the P93 Riviera and black beauty LP in that there are two volume and tone knobs, one set that switches between bridge and neck and one for the middle pickup. depending on the way you have the switch set it will be Bridge/middle, neck/middle, or all together, meaning the middle pickup is never turned off just by switching. You could rewire it like a strat and get the selections you'd like, but that wouldn't be very traditional.

I played a black beauty for awhile with this setup, and it was fine for any style, but really rocked for high-gain rock and the like. Plus I think that SG is really cool looking

IRRC' date=' it is set up like the P93 Riviera and black beauty LP in that there are two volume and tone knobs, one set that switches between bridge and neck and one for the middle pickup. depending on the way you have the switch set it will be Bridge/middle, neck/middle, or all together, meaning the middle pickup is never turned off just by switching. You could rewire it like a strat and get the selections you'd like, but that wouldn't be very traditional.

[/quote']

No. It has 3 Volumes, Master tone. the switch works as normal. the only way to "turn off" the middle pups it to roll it's volume down.

No. It has 3 Volumes' date=' Master tone. the switch works as normal. the only way to "turn off" the middle pups it to roll it's volume down.

[/quote']

Question .... if you roll the volume all the way off, does it cut output from the other two pups the same way the regular 2 pup guits do if volume is rolled off on one (meaning if one volume knob is "off," does it effectively kill all volume ??? ....was worded awkwardly, I suppose) ?

Question .... if you roll the volume all the way off' date=' does it cut output from the other two pups the same way the regular 2 pup guits do if volume is rolled off on one (meaning if one volume knob is "off," does it effectively kill all volume ??? ....was worded awkwardly, I suppose) ?[/quote']

The way it's wired from the factory the volume knob only turns down/off that one pickup. Consequently; after having new pickups and push-pull pots put in mine the controls work a bit different now. Seems rewiring it back to factory spec is a challenge for even the most able benchman.

100_1678.jpg

Archived