Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup upgrade

starrbow

It's straightforward. All I'd say is, if you're going to spend that much money on pups, it's worth spending another 10% to upgrade the pots to CTS 500Ks and fit Sprague .022 orange caps at the same time. That would bring your controls up to "Gibson USA" quality, so you get the best out of the pups.

The pups in the Custom are probably the same spec as any you already have in the Studio...

-Another one here for a definite upgrade of the rest of the electronics. You can order a matched set of CTS pots and Orange Drop caps from this site. I ordered mine about 5 years ago before they were bought by this company. Then it was called Black Rose Customs. Including shipping, I think it came out to around $27. All four pots are matched within 10k of each other. I think mine all measured between 510k and 515k. And you get to choose which values you want for the caps. The stock pots in my Epi measured anywhere from 394k to 501k I think. I know I still have it written down somewhere, but I'll have to look just to make sure. Don't go putting something nice like Burtsbuckers in your guitar if you're going to leave the stock electronics in it. It just doesn't make sense!

http://www.wymoreguitars.com/Les-Paul-Upgrade-Kit-Short-Shaft-Orange-Drop-Caps_p_339.html

L8R,

Matt

I will change all the switches and pots to the "Good" ones' date=' now how about capacitors? which ones are the "Best" ?[/quote']

Well, if you are going to invest in Burstbuckers, then why not spend a little bit more

and get the PIO (paper in oil) Sprague Black Beautys..better know as "Bumblebees" due to

their yellow striping colour codes. :P

I'm sure we will hear from those that argue that that's nothing but "horsefeathers"..

as all tone caps are basically the same when used in the tone control of the guitar....but....

maybe there is something to them..as the '59 Les Pauls that had these are in great

demand and go for a pretty price.... if you can find one.

You can always use the Sprague orange drops..Gibson has used them for years.

Most people who have them, like them enough to leave them in.

Only other quirk, and it's a small one, is that the Gibson pickups' "feet" are deeper than Epi pickups (at least mine).

They fit just fine, but the Epi height adjustment screws are shorter, my Gibson pickups sat too high, running out of adjustment just before they hit the spot. Your guitar may vary.

A new set of adjustment screws with springs is an easy fix.

Barry

A cap is a cap of course of course,...

I have tried them all, and had many a late night discussion with a very talented EE about this subject.

It all comes down to value and tolerance. The reason some old bumble bees sounded better is they are not spec'd as closely as modern caps. One .020 uf cap will sound the same as the next, as long as they both are actually .020.

Maybe a little, but you should change the entire wiring harness, output jack, switch, and at least put new leads on the pickups. You are only as good as your weakest link in the chain. Potting pickups is also recommended if you ever play on stage.

And get a Switchcraft 1/4" jack and switch.

Three years ago, when I bought my first Epi, I picked up a Gibson (switchcraft) 3 position switch just in case my epi switch failed. The Gibson switch is still in the box in a drawer. If you use the guitar at least weekly and switch the pickups here and there, the wiping action keeps the contacts clean.

I did replace the plastic jack plate with a gold plated metal plate from Stewmac and have never had any problems with the stock jack, either.

The pickup replacement I did right away and installed SD Pearly Gates humbuckers. That was a great mod that made the Epi sing like a bird. I get crystal clear cleans and down and dirty distortion. Sustain is better than any guitar I've ever owned.

-The switch on mine died within 6 months of buying the guitar. Happy to hear yours is still going strong. Most of us aren't that lucky. Those Pearly Gates p'ups are pretty sweet ones. I was kind of thinking of the PG - PG Plus for mine before I got the DiMarzios, along with a few other sets. Gotta love when you "Get that tone."

L8R,

Matt

Archived