Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone 1959 Les Paul Standard

LightBurst2002

Hi Folks

just got a new Epi 1959 les paul in faded Iced tea, bought in Germany, here are some first Impressions:

First of all: I like this guitar , it sounds nice and it looks nice in Faded Iced tea, its a rim burst, something between honeyburst and iced tea,the finish is very nice and perfect, no dings and dongs, the whole guitar is build excellent except of the bridge volume pot, its turns very hard, its to deep in the laquer??? Otherwise everything is fine on this guitar, it has a nice flame top , it has a thick but snall nice neck, medium good frets, and it sounds very good, woody, warm, bluesy, crunchie, brilliant,...I think because of the Gibson Burstbuckers, especially the BB 3 on the bridge is very nice and clear!!!

Nice Vintage Tuners also, look nice and stay in Tune!!! Comes with a good hard case, but not as nice as a Gibson one!!!

I think its anice guitar, much better than a normal Epi Les paul Standard plus, but of course its not a Gibson RI 59.....!!!

I like the Iced Tea Finish, the Faded Cherry Burst looks not good, just average and a little bit cheap IMO..........

What do you think?????

greetings

Robert[im977440534244g][/img]img][img][/img]

I have the 1959 cherry burst and when I looked at the tea burst I thought it looked tacky, IMO. When I got the guitar home and heard it's sound, looked over the high standard of workmanship on these guitars, I think owning either color is just a plain simple WOW factor. Now if both guitars play as good as we both claim they do for the rest of the owners of these awesome guitars............... I think then, both colors are just too darn awesome....... IMO.

Billy B

Hi Billy B..............Congratulation to your cherryburst, I agree totally with you, first I wanted the cherryburst, but I only founded pics that didnt look so good, but on your pic the cherry looks very nice, would like to have one to compare, both are fine guitars, the quality is really high, but the best thing on this guitar:I love the sound, it is amazing good, really brilliant, really woody and crunchie, reminds me the early Zeppelin days, Ilove this Epiphone and first time I m not thinking about mods or replacement of Hardware...! I`m happy to own this limited run guitar! How did yyou manage to get the picture uploaded, I failed in uploading some pics???

Robert

Hi If you mean edgeburst is the same as rimburst so allthe 59 come with that edge burst, I dont know why, Do you like them ?? or do you prefer the tear burst typically Gibson...! Perhaps Epi must have some differences beause of marketing.......?

MyEpi 59 Les paul Iced Tea rim burst reminds me of some of the new Gibbon les Paul 2008 Standard Iced tea which also have the rimburst! they look very similar except of the headstock....!

The Gibson 59 RI Iced Tea looks much better, thats of course a big difference, were talking about 4400 Euro for the Gibson and about 800 euro for the Epi...... nearly the 5,5 x of price, but still the Epi 1959 les paul sounds very nice and also very Vintage....! I got a Epi Les paul Standard and I put Burstbucker 1 and 2 from a Gibson 2007 59 RI in it and the sound of both is not such a huge difference........!

greetings

Robert

Hi If you mean edgeburst is the same as rimburst so allthe 59 come with that edge burst' date=' I dont know why, Do you like them ?? or do you prefer the tear burst typically Gibson...! Perhaps Epi must have some differences beause of marketing.......?

MyEpi 59 Les paul Iced Tea rim burst reminds me of some of the new Gibbon les Paul 2008 Standard Iced tea which also have the rimburst! they look very similar except of the headstock....!

The Gibson 59 RI Iced Tea looks much better, thats of course a big difference, were talking about 4400 Euro for the Gibson and about 800 euro for the Epi...... nearly the 5,5 x of price, but still the Epi 1959 les paul sounds very nice and also very Vintage....! I got a Epi Les paul Standard and I put Burstbucker 1 and 2 from a Gibson 2007 59 RI in it and the sound of both is not such a huge difference........!

greetings

Robert[/quote']

your saying your 59 sounds pretty close to your other les paul right? I think you can hear the tone better in the neck and it does sustain real good.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Lightburst.

I just got my Faded Ice Tea 1959 today and it is an absolute beauty !!

Only thing about mine is exactly the same as yours... The Bridge Volume control is hard to turn and seems very low against the body. Not sure if the extra carved maple top on these guitars is causing the bridge volume pot to run out of room.

Did you fix yours or have it fixed ? Mine seems to be freeing up - only used it for 10 minutes though.

First impression is that the sound is much brighter /fuller and alive than my old Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus top.

I am looking forward to getting to know my '59.

Cheers from the UK

mhw6160

It's not THAT cheap a copy!!!!![biggrin]:-$[biggrin][blush][blink][crying]:-({|=

And that is because the money-grabbers at Gibson get to decide about prices, and since they're living in a fairy-tale-wonderland with unichorns they have this strange idea in their minds, that guitars with a certain name on the headstock and a certain headstock-shape should be priced only for endorsed professional musicians who also live in this fairy-tale-wonderland and have their Kajagoogillions to spend...

I wonder if Les Paul was a gazillionaire... :-k

Update to the Bridge Volume issue above.

Covered the control with a duster to prevent dinging the guitar and pulled it up a couple of millimeters now it rotates as smooth as the rest.

Very simple ! Feeling a bit daft for mentioning it in the 1st place.

The guitar has "that" Les Paul sound - think Mark Knopfler when he uses his live - mine can produce a VERY similar sound.

It is the sound I have been looking for.

Very happy with my '59.

Archived