Gibson Brands Forums

Lost Power?

a3fan1

Hello all,

I plugged into my Blues Custom 30 this evening and it lost power. It appeared to power up ok but the moment I strummed a chord it fizzled out and lost all power. I checked all of the fuses with a meter and they all appear to be ok. Any thoughts?

Was it a gradual loss of power or did it just go away on ya'

right quick? A quick check... And I apologize, Not real familiar

with the BC30. If you have an effects send and return, Try

a jumper between the two. More than likely just some crud

has accumulated within the jacks..? If it's started to act up

only recently like with a move or semi-rough ride... Could

just be a cold solder joint. Try the jumper tho if it's possible.

Had the same crazy stuff goin' on with my PV TT Bandit...

Did the jumper trick and got some contact cleaner and got

it all squared up. Try the simple stuff first... Cable, Jumper,

Cleaner, Etc... Let us know what you come up with for sure.

Hey welcome here in EpiNation by the way!!

Thanks for the reply. No, it didn't go out gradually, it was very abrupt - even the power light went out. This amp has a 5AR4 rectifier tube in it that I am hopeful is the cultprit but I have never had an amp with one of these tubes in it - usually the rectifier is a series of diodes or even a chip. Hopefully I can figure this out quickly (I started vacation today and planned on playing 8 hours a day everyday! - lol) This has been the best sounding amp that I have ever played through, particularly in an "at home" setting.

Ouch! Yes sir, I'm with you... I sure haven't had any dealings with a 5AR4..?

Good call tho. Always somethin' unannounced to contend with huh... Sheez!

Well, Shoot for 7hrs your first day... haaaahhhahahhh Cool! Glad to hear your

input on the amp. Always interested in amp "feedback"... Hang in there "laf1"

and by all means shout out with the findings.

Good Luck buddy!!

You blew the fuse, for sure, if the indicator lamp went out. Could very well be the rectifier tube, or it could also be a shorted out output tube. Put a fuse in, pull the output tubes, and turn it on, and see what happens. If the fuse blows again right away, it's probably the rectifier tube. If the fuse stays intact, it's probably an output tube. Replace both, if that's the case, with a matched pair. You really should have the amp looked at by a tech regardless, because it could be something else inside, that needs replacing, and you really should have the output tube bias dialed in properly anyway.

You blew the fuse' date=' for sure, if the indicator lamp went out. Could very well be the rectifier tube, or it could also be a shorted out output tube. Put a fuse in, pull the output tubes, and turn it on, and see what happens. If the fuse blows again right away, it's probably the rectifier tube. If the fuse stays intact, it's probably an output tube. Replace both, if that's the case, with a matched pair. You really should have the amp looked at by a tech regardless, because it could be something else inside, that needs replacing, and you really should have the output tube bias dialed in properly anyway. [/quote']

You nailed it! Took it in this morning with a sob story to my amp guy. He went straight to it. Thanks for the info. Just about ruined Christmas for me - lol!

Archived