Gibson Brands Forums

White Pickguards on Light Colored Finishes?

Cooperoni

Why does Gibson use white pickguards on their guitars with White and Natural finishes when Black looks soooo much better? My Explorer '76 came with a white Pickgurd and I took care of that straight away. Do you like a white or black P/G on yer axe of a fair complextion?

Before and After

p27242h-ffa93cc841a502a05d137443461d8f99.jpgDSCF1227.jpg

both have their strong points visually, but have you tried changing the Pup rings to match the white pickgaurd

i dont care for the finish, or the guitar, but i think it looks better with the white gaurd

No, I didn't even think to match the pup rings. Being that the truss rod cover, headstock veneer, pups, pup rings and knobs were all black, it seemed to me the pickguard (and toggle cap) should be too. The pups are black plastic with gold screws and standard colored poles so I had gold pup covers installed, then ditched the speed knobs for gold top hats. I think it looks more "natural" this way. Sorry you don't care for my guitar, to each his own I suppose.

i like the nobs, Pup covers and such, but i like the white guard better

but ive never really cared for natural "wood colored" guitars,

nor the SG-explorer-radical design-bc rich-emg-metal madness that seems to acompany them

i like the nobs' date=' Pup covers and such, but i like the white guard better

but ive never really cared for natural "wood colored" guitars,

nor the SG-explorer-radical design-bc rich-emg-metal madness that seems to acompany them

[/quote']

Someday I will have a '58 Explorer... I will see if I can lay the old PG on top and take another photo to compare them... tomorrow...when it is daytime.

I like the black. My natural finish Explorer has had both colours of pickguard on it, and the white takes something away from the wood. White pickguards look rubbish when they start to age as well.

I had gold top hatknobs on there but I changed to black speeds. It was a close call though.

The Explorer is such balanced and comfortable guitars to play standing up, especially if you're a singer as it just sits there at all the right angles and doesn't move. Great guitar.

Why does Gibson use white pickguards on their guitars with White and Natural finishes when Black looks soooo much better? My Explorer '76 came with a white Pickgurd and I took care of that straight away.

Shhhhhh!!!

If Gibson knows there is a demand for it, they'll issue a new line of Explorers and Vs with black pickguards and charge $300 more!

...but I'm with you. Black looks better on natural wood.

I'm also gonna change out my Explorer to a black one soon, too.

I like the pickup covers but not the guard, mine is staying white.

While the white guard takes away from the wood grain I think the black guard takes away from the shape of the guitar. Just my opinion.

The wood grain on your Explorer is nicer than mine that's for sure.

I replaced the knobs on mine with gold/black witch hat knobs. It looks killer...more retro. Humbucker covers are next, I gave the open coils the chance but they are not growing on me....

Black looks 70s to me' date=' whilst white says 50s. Based on nuthin' but gut feeling.[/quote']

You are not that far off Ibis, actually I am looking at the picture of a prototype Heritage Re-issue for the limited run of 100 for the year 1983 and it has a black guard, covered pickups and the strap button on the shoulder....

I don't think I'd replace mine for white.

My E2 has a darker natural walnut finish, so the black one seems to fit better with me.

And the aged white border stripes work with it.

But I'd have to say on the lighter woods, (Korina, I guess) White guards are more suiting,

and on a white Explorer I'd certainly stay with white.

I don't think I'd replace mine for white.

My E2 has a darker natural walnut finish, so the black one seems to fit better with me.

And the aged white border stripes work with it.

But I'd have to say on the lighter woods, (Korina, I guess) White guards are more suiting,

and on a white Explorer I'd certainly stay with white.

I may be in the minority here, but I really dislike black pg's on explorers. Much prefer the white. I've seen an E2 in tobacco burst with a flame top that looked ok with a black pg, mainly because the color scheme fit with the burst. I dumped my speed knobs immediately and replaced them with amber tophats with gold pointers. Black speedknobs have always looked cheap to me (no offense to anyone here), and although very effective, I think they stick out like a sore thumb on my natural explorer.

You are not that far off Ibis' date=' actually I am looking at the picture of a prototype Heritage Re-issue for the limited run of 100 for the year 1983 and it has a black guard, covered pickups and the strap button on the shoulder....[/quote']

Not necessarily so. I've seen several pictures of '58 V's with black pickguards. It's one of the reasons I got the V I did...a 1983 V Heritage and it looks just like the '58 on the cover of the Vintage Guitar Price Guide 6th edition.

We are talking explorers though, a few of both V's and explorers came with black guards in 1958, the majority in white though. Prototypes are just that.

The fact that a couple of us think they look 70's with the black guard on is just personal perception and not really how Explorers or V's looked in the 70's.

The illustrated encyclopedia of electric guitars has pics of V's and Explorers with different guards, knobs and in the case of Exlorers headstocks (the split).

Black looks 70s to me' date=' whilst white says 50s. Based on nuthin' but gut feeling.[/quote']

Yep.

Anybody wanna venture a guess when THESE were made?

I figure using Brand F will make it more objective....

2206885077_e42ba7a395.jpg?v=0

2207672808_473666dac0.jpg?v=0

2207674794_07327e22a6.jpg?v=0

2207673810_f3aca16350.jpg?v=0

Archived