Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson vs Epiphone Pickups

How much are Gibson Pickups for a les paul. I have a epiphone les paul standard and wanting to replace the pickups with some original factory gibson ones. Can you get them directly from Gibson? Best Place to buy them? Is this worth It?

Thanks

YES!!!! To quote ZZ TOP - "Ah-HAW-HAW-HAW-HAW!!!" I installed Gibson

490R/498T sets in both of my EPIs, difference IS noticeable. New Gibby pups

will set you back $100 - $140 EACH depending on what KIND you get

(ie: 490R/498T, Burstbucker, Burstbucker Pro, etc.) Chrome, Gold, open coil?

I don't know how comfortable you are with ebay, I bought mine on ebay,

vintage 2-conductor wires, averaged to $100 a SET. So, one set is from a

1992 Les Paul, other from 2005 Les Paul. IF you feel like sifting thru the chaff,

here's a link (I've already seen a few on there that have me drooling):

Edit: The ones that say "Gibson/Epiphone" in the description ARE Epiphone pups,

great for projects, but not GIBBY...

http://instruments.shop.ebay.com/Parts-Accessories-/20829/i.html?Brand=Gibson&_nkw=gibson%20pickup&_catref=1&_dmpt=Guitar_Accessories&_fcid=1&_localstpos=79763&_sc=1&_sop=15&_sticky=1&_stpos=79763&gbr=1#item3efb630132

Hope this is some help!

Guest icantbuyafender

Not all pickups are created equally.

Not even two that are supposed to be of the same type are created equally.

Epiphone never ceases to prove that, however, epiphone makes a damn good P90.

Speaking of pickups, what entity is responsible for the manufacture of Epiphone's pickups? I'll bet some of the better models actually have Gibson pickups in them, while the rest have some generic pickups that come from a loose assortment in a barrel in some corner of the factory, where blindfolded workers bob for 'em. Think so?

Guest icantbuyafender
Speaking of pickups' date=' what entity is responsible for the manufacture of Epiphone's pickups? I'll bet some of the better models actually have Gibson pickups in them, while the rest have some generic pickups that come from a loose assortment in a barrel in some corner of the factory, where blindfolded workers bob for 'em. Think so?[/quote']

I bet artec is contracted to make some of the epiphone pickups.

Especially the new york minis.

I think it just depends on what you like better because I might like Epiphone pickups and you may like Gibsons so that's not gunna change.

True - Actually, I like both, depending on the end use. I can snag

Epi pups from ebay for projects at a VERY good price - I prefer

to use the HOTCH (G) and 57CH (G), found in Epi LPs and G-400s.

What sounds good in ONE guitar may not in another.

Example: The pups in my Epi Studio and Epi Classic were the exact SAME,

sounded Muddy in Studio (too MUCH bottom end), BUT sounded DECENT

in LP Classic. Body wood? Magic? Mojo?

If my EPI pups in a project are sounding good, and it's a project that

I am seriously considering "hot-rodding", I'm off to GUITARFETISH for

a set of GFS pups.

LOVE Epi, Gibby, GFS. Just depends on the end use....

Thanks guys for the help

Hey Ron right now i got a orange crush 15wt amp which is a p.o.s but im soon like in a couple of weeks getting a Marshall 100wt amp that i saw at guitar center for like $550.00[biggrin] I think it would be a great amp as it has some effects already in it including delay and reverb. Cant remember the model of it all i know is its 100wt marshall and it sounded really good (Like all Marshalls). I also just ordered a zoom g2 .1u pedal i have heard really great things about them so should get that sometime tommorow or saturday.

Thanks

Thanks guys for the help

Hey Ron right now i got a orange crush 15wt amp which is a p.o.s but im soon like in a couple of weeks getting a Marshall 100wt amp that i saw at guitar center for like $550.00[biggrin] I think it would be a great amp as it has some effects already in it including delay and reverb. Cant remember the model of it all i know is its 100wt marshall and it sounded really good (Like all Marshalls). I also just ordered a zoom g2 .1u pedal i have heard really great things about them so should get that sometime tommorow or saturday.Thanks

Well, LPVS44, it appears that you're judging your pickups through an amp that you characterize as a POS. I'd say wait and see what you think after playing for a while through your Marshall and the new pedal. IMO, the amp upgrade is way bigger than a pickup upgrade, which will be subtle, at best.

Well' date=' LPVS44, it appears that you're judging your pickups through an amp that you characterize as a POS. I'd say wait and see what you think after playing for a while through your Marshall and the new pedal. IMO, the amp upgrade is way bigger than a pickup upgrade, which will be subtle, at best.[/quote']

I TOTALLY agree here! The amp and SPEAKERS and the type of cab (open back or closed) make a HUGE difference! I wouldn't change pickups till you try it on a quality amp with quality speakers. I hear all kinds of bad about epi pickups, but my G400 rocks and so does this little cheap Junior, and that's through a Peavey Envoy 110 with stock speaker. Oh, and don't forget to be sure your guitar cord is good, if the signal TO the amp sucks so will the sound!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Guest icantbuyafender
Well' date=' LPVS44, it appears that you're judging your pickups through an amp that you characterize as a POS. I'd say wait and see what you think after playing for a while through your Marshall and the new pedal. IMO, the amp upgrade is way bigger than a pickup upgrade, which will be subtle, at best.[/quote']

Pickups, bring out the nuances of your playing style. They dont necessarily have an effect as big as amp choice would be

+10 to Ron.

It depend on what sound your looking after . I have a Les paul standard with gibson pickups and my daughter have a squier strat and on the same amp ,mine sound a lot's better than her's. Her 's sound good but mine has a better quality and you can feel. A good amp could make a fair guitar sound good but a poor amp make them sound all bad. Last year when i bought my Epi Les Paul i plugged it on my old amp and it sound terrible so i bought a new amp and now it sound great. Even my old guitar that has 25 years on the clock sounded good with that amp.

Archived