Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson vs Epiphone Pickups

I don't know how comfortable you are with ebay' date=' I bought mine on ebay,

vintage 2-conductor wires, averaged to $100 a SET. So, one set is from a

1992 Les Paul, other from 2005 Les Paul. IF you feel like sifting thru the chaff,

here's a link (I've already seen a few on there that have me drooling):[/quote']

What I'd REALLY like to know is what pickups did THOSE guys put back on THEIR '92 and '05 Les Pauls?

What I'd REALLY like to know is what pickups did THOSE guys put back on THEIR '92 and '05 Les Pauls?

It's been awhile. but I seem to remember that these gents switched to

Seymore Duncans... Sorry, but I can't give a thumbs-up to that. Gibby is

Gibby... Fools!!!! To take a Gibson and swap to SD pups sounds like a

crime... BUT, all is based on PERSONAL TASTE... Still say - " FOOLS"!!!

498T/409R is a CLASSIC combo - but we're always trying to improve on

what is offered to us, occasionally someone will "expand the envelope",

either by accident or intention, but HOW can you improve on/redefine the

"Classic" sound of a Les Paul??? Tooo many recordings made using that very sound.

Ramble, ramble, ramble.....

HOW can you improve on/redefine the "Classic" sound of a Les Paul??? Tooo many recordings made using that very sound.

Depends on how you define the "classic sound of a LP". To me that's not a 498T/490R. But opinions seem as varied as there are pickups. Hence the succes of aftermarket pickupmakers like Seymour Duncan I suppose.

The Gibson pickups are good, but it depends on what type of sound you're going for. I had a Gibson "T-Top"

(8.6K ohms) from an old '78 Gibson LP custom I used to have, in the bridge position of my old Melody Maker, it sounded good but didn't have the hot output I was looking for to get that nasty distortion I wanted. I'm installing a new Epi HOTCH (14.2 K ohm) in it to see what it does. So there's a bunch of variables to look at. Find the amp with the type of sound you want then go to the other variables.

Also, check out the topic I posted on Guitar sound and recording, it has links to a bunch of info on pickups, pup heights and MANY other things that affect your sound:

Guitar Sound/Tone Variables and Recording

Lets say i have $600.00 to spend on a good amp would you suggest a brand new marshall 100wt? Or get a used marshall with a different setup?

Btw gearhead thats a beautifull G400 looks real shiny.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Oh and thanks for the compliment on my G400.It IS real shiny, looks better in person! As far as the amp question I would say to take YOUR guitar with you to try the amp out before you decide which one to buy.

Archived