Gibson Brands Forums

Fret leveling

bill67

So you don't need fret leveling on a new guitar?

I guess all guitars receive some sort of generic set up before they leave the factory, or if you're lucky by the importer, but you must remember it is only a generic set up. If you've bought a new guitar and it plays nice the way you want it to without choking off the notes or rattling on the frets then you're good to go. I know good players who have their actions set so high that I find them impossible to play but they don't suffer from fret buzz, me I like it so the strings just clear the fret tops for a nice easy life. A good set up by a good repair guy is worth every penny to me but a lot of guys are happy with the factory set up. You pays your money and you makes your choice, but it's not compulsory.

So you don't need fret leveling on a new guitar?

Well, it depends....

if it is a low level guitar, then it probably has never seen a fret file at all...and could benefit from a level greatly. Mid priced guitars need one only if there are problems, but will surely play better with a level and polish, regardless of if there is a problem to begin with. High dollar guitars rarely need them, unless you are very specific about your setup specs, and know what you want....

Jeff

Archived