Gibson Brands Forums

Dot Studio

outforblood

Hello, I just bought a Epi Dot Studio last week and I love it. Best sub 300.00 guitar ever. Now the only thing I don't like is the tuners...I wanna swap them out for Grovers. Will I have to drill new holes? I never had to change out tuners before.(Noob) Thanks in advance.

Try replacing the nut with a Graph Tech or similar first.

It's far cheaper and faster, and if done properly, should improve the ease of tuning (less string friction) and have no physical impact on the guitar.

Also, you can firm up the feel of the existing tuners by tightening the button screw.

Have a luthier make a new nut for you. Replacing with a pre slotted nut is a marginal improvement at best. AND you are skipping the number one reason for replacing the nut, to have it cut properly for your guitar and playing style. Something a pre slotted nut can never do. Bone is a great medium for a nut, graph tech uses a high tech solution for a low tech problem. If your nut slots are cut, shaped, and polished properly, it will have NO negative effect on the tuning under any circumstances, even if using a trem.

Try replacing the nut with a Graph Tech or similar first.

It's far cheaper and faster' date=' and if done properly, should improve the ease of tuning (less string friction) and have no physical impact on the guitar.

Also, you can firm up the feel of the existing tuners by tightening the button screw.[/quote']

Well, I tightened the screws up on the tuners and they feel and tune up ALOT better...maybe these Chinese tuners aren't too bad after all. Great thing about the Dot, it's begging for upgrades. I'll might just add a bone nut...

Archived