Gibson Brands Forums

about the Masterbilt between AJ500M & DR-500M which one y'all wanna die for?

sickboy

Hi,y'all so umm now I'm thinking about get my new acoustic Epi the Masterbilt series is the one that look so cool for me.

but between those model AJ & DR ,I don't know that much about detail . kinda heard some might say the AJs pretty cool. what is about the DR

my choice would be around AJ-500ME , AJ-500R ,DR-500R

R & M means rosewood and maple eh?

I'm kinda new with deep detail of acoustic thing.

please give me some of y'all opinion.

thank y'all so much.

the DR means its a dreadnought style, with square shoulders at the neck. the AJ has sloped shoulders, with a bit more curve to them. From what I can understand and have heard, it's pretty much an aesthetic decision. the difference in ME and R is actually not maple, but mahogany, and rosewood, and a spruce top. They're similar, the mahogany may be a bit cheaper, and doesnt sound bad. the R gives you rosewood back and sides, with a solid spruce top, which is a bit more standard and would get my vote. Either way, it's not going to be the difference than say between a laminate top and solid top, so you're bound to get a good git either way

good luck in your search

Hi' date='y'all so umm now I'm thinking about get my new acoustic Epi the Masterbilt series is the one that look so cool for me.

but between those model AJ & DR ,I don't know that much about detail . kinda heard some might say the AJs pretty cool. what is about the DR

my choice would be around AJ-500ME , AJ-500R ,DR-500R

R & M means rosewood and maple eh?

I'm kinda new with deep detail of acoustic thing.

please give me some of y'all opinion.

thank y'all so much.[/quote']

Just FYI--there is a maple bodied Masterbilt, designated (for some reason) with "P", and only available in the dreadnought size. I've played 'em, and they sound pretty good--deeper, more rounded than a lot of maple-bodied guitars.

hmm they call it a jumbo' date=' and the lower bout looks a little bloated, but I dont think it's jumbo if an SJ-200 is the standard of a "jumbo"[/quote']

Going back, Gibson introduced the "Jumbo" as competition to Martin's new "Dreadnaught" line. They later added the Advanced Jumbo (different bracing pattern), the Southern Jumbo (different cosmetic aoointments) and Super Jumbo.

The Masterbilt line currently has three main styles - AJ, which is classic Gibson, DR, which is a Martin-style Dreadnaught, and EF, which is a Martin 000-style.

hmm learn something new everyday! thanks for the clarification. I had originally written "which is my opinion" after saying standard of jumbo, but didn't want to sound like a jerk. but, now that i've been called out, the SJ is my standard of jumbo, and the rest are just sort of dreadnaught (slope shoulder or square) or parlors, in my opinion :(

i have ordered a AJ-500RE from sweetwater they are currently backordered everywhere til feb 2010. sweetwater is slated for 1 unit around the second week of feb. so i reserved it pending my approval of the guitar. my student has one and i love it the tone is superior to anything in its price range including the wechter eleite series.. i cant wait for feb.. this will be my first accoustic guitar i have ever owned in 41 years of playing the guitar. i am very very excited...

Archived