Gibson Brands Forums

Version 3 / Valve Junior - Marshall Mods ?

wedgeSG

I recently did the JP-1 clip and decided to put this on a toggle. This is a Version 3 with the black board and while I'm in there thought I might change out a few things to lean more toward a Marshall tone. I know this has been covered before but I've never seen a specific list as to what to change out based on a Version 3 board. Can anybody provide a Version Three list that weeds out the stuff that needs to stay and the stuff that needs to swap. Of the stuff that needs to be replaced - exactly what types and values should be used... Thanks in advance to anybody that chimes in on this:

Wedgie

Hey Wedge

You can get all the info you need over at sewatt in the FAQ and Schematics section - the best thing is sign up over there and spend some time browsing. wattstubeaudio.com also has a EVJR parts list for the various mods and values at the bottom of the VJr page. Though I eventually went all the way on the Marshall mods imho changing C1 and C2 to the the Mallory caps was an easy and cheap mod that gave a lot more character to the amp as did lowering the values of C3 and C4 to tighten up the bottom...

R1=1M, R8=1.5k, and R9=1.5k on the v3 board, so those are the only changes between v2 and v3 amps other than the improved OT and loss of the unused 12v winding on the PT. So, you won't need to change R8, and you'll only need a new R1 if you're moving it to the jack "across the input" so it's seen by the signal before R2 instead of following it. This adds a little more sparkle.

http://www.sewatt.com/files/sewatt/Marshall.pdf

Gil...

Archived