Gibson Brands Forums

Blues Custom BC30 Footswitch

wildschwein

Has anyone successfully made a footswitch for the BC30? I've messed around with some cable, a jack and dpdt switch sort of following the official schematic and I only seem to be able switch between channels which also defeats the reverb. I'm looking to switch channels and leave the reverb on - anyone got a layout, or even a photo of the commercial FS I could take a look at?

Thanks,

Canaan.

Please don't take this the wrong way but I'm curious why bother with all the hassle of trying to get a home brew footswitch working when the BC30 footswitch is only about £15.00 anyway.

They're not that easy to come by in Australia and usually cost about $50-$60 AU retail. S/H they're almost non-existent unless they are being sold with a S/H amp. The footswitch is not included when you buy the amp new. The footswitches are sold under a brand name called Legacy here as well but they are the same inflated price new. I also have two Epiphone Triggerman amps and they use a regular Marshall-style 2 button footswitch (which I can get for $30) but it doesn't work with the BC30. I have the gear available to make the footswitch; enclosures, cable, switches etc I just need a couple of pointers on where to put a few of wires.

Has anyone successfully made a footswitch for the BC30? I've messed around with some cable' date=' a jack and dpdt switch sort of following the official schematic and I only seem to be able switch between channels which also defeats the reverb. I'm looking to switch channels and leave the reverb on - anyone got a layout, or even a photo of the commercial FS I could take a look at?

Thanks,

Canaan.[/quote']

You'll need:

a 3 conductor cable (~ 22AWG) with each conductor individually insulated and NO shielding/drain wire. and a heavy jacket would be good.

1 - TRS 1/4 phone connector

2 - DPST Footswitches (typically rated @ 125V/4A) Do yourself a favor and spend a couple of dollars more for the heavy duty models.

The footswitch controls BOTH channel switching and reverb on/off ...1 switch for each function

There is a current from the amp to power an LED on each switch to indicate which channel is on and reverb on or off condition. These are optional and not necessary for proper function of the switches.

My conductors are colored:

Red

White

Black

On the TRS wiring is

T = white

R = red

S = black

I can post a pic of the circuit later

I don't have my meter handy but they will obviously channel or reverb

• 2 years later...

I've recently acquired a SoCal 50 head, second hand. It didn't come with a footswitch and I've been doing a lot of searching for some info on building one. I've done some experimenting with a peavy two button, and a marshall two button, as well as experimenting with a stereo cable. I've had success switching the channels but have had no luck switching the reverb off.

I've come to the conclusion that one of two things are happening:

1) There's something more going on with the reverb switch than just simply switching it on and off. The channel switch circuit is as simple as it gets, but there's a trick to the reverb.

OR

2) Something is wrong internally with my reverb circuit (ie there's a relay and it is stuck on and won't shut the reverb off)

Can anyone confirm that simply connecting the ring to the shaft switches the reverb off?

The pictures posted by twanger were a step in the right direction for me to come to these two possibilities but since they are sort of small and blurry I may be missing something.

Any insight would be hugely appreciated.

Sorry I couldn't get any better shots. My photo skills are lacking. Any way, these should be enough to give you an idea as to how it's wired up.

I'm trying a different approach to this, I drew up a quick diagram of my interpretation of the pics twanger took of his footswitch just to be sure I'm seeing everything correctly. Can anyone say whether or not there's something I'm missing in my diagram? Or if I have it right?

post-45373-094091900 1342144033_thumb.jpg

Archived