Gibson Brands Forums

Your fingernails

Angusthegod

Don't ya think their length is important in playing? If you're right handed, I'm talking about your left hand, and vice versa.... The neck playing hand....

My fingernails can't be too long to scratch the neck, it seems to interfere with my accuracy..... And they can't be too short, otherwise it hurts pressing down, in which the fingernail digs into the tender skin..... So I keep them at a very specific length....

How does your fingernail dig into your skin? If you mean the strings dig into your skin, you'll get past that as your finger tips callous.

Also, how do you mean, too long of fingernails scratches the neck? Do you mean the fretboard?

Honestly man, I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Due to my profession, I rarely have fingerail tips at all. They are just ten little dirt, grease & ink collectors from my perspective.

How does your fingernail dig into your skin? If you mean the strings dig into your skin' date=' you'll get past that as your finger tips callous.

Also, how do you mean, too long of fingernails scratches the neck? Do you mean the fretboard?

Honestly man, I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Due to my profession, I rarely have fingerail tips at all. They are just ten little dirt, grease & ink collectors from my perspective.

[/quote']

When I trim my fingernail too short, then press down a string, the nail digs into the skin.... But don't worry, my finger tips are hard as a rock...... And yes, when my fingernail is too long, the nail hits the fretboard before my fingertip hits the string, its very annoying.

No, I don' think their length is important in playing for me at all.

I bite/ripoff all my nails all the way down 'till there's not a whole lot of anything left.

And they don't "dig into my tender skin" because I'm a guitar player and I have no tender skin in that area.

Due to my profession' date=' I rarely have fingerail tips at all. They are just ten little dirt, grease & ink collectors from my perspective.

[/quote']

Same here, although mine would be germ/microbe collectors - am a nurse at the local hopsital [-(

While were at it, how about calluses? How do you (all) keep them hard and in good condition.

I'm sure part of this, is "age related(?)" (I'm old as dirt), but I play almost everyday, for a decent

period of time, and yet my calluses aren't "rock hard," by any stretch. Maybe I wash my hands

too much? LOL!

CB

I'm an inverterate nail chewer so it's a challenge for me but I've always been taught that, if you're finger picking, right hand nails (picking hand assuming you're right handed) should be trimmed about 1/8" past your finger tips and your left hand nails ( again if right handed sould be flush with your finger tips.

I know a lot of finger pickers employ the services of nail bars and false nails to accomodate the damage (and perhaps a little sparkle if required [-( )

Frankly if you're using a pick then it shouldn't make any effect what lenght your picking hand nails are and as long as your fretting hand feels ok then the same.

If it feels like you need to trim them - trim them. If it doesn't then don't.

I "dress" my nails once a week............sanding them down to the skin underneath, and removing any dead or excess skin as well.

I've done this for so long that I don't feel pain from it any more, just occasional heat if the grinder is running too fast........[crying] . (My wife actually bought me an AVON nail grinding wheel that I use for quick "touch ups" in between)

Due to the nature of my "day job" my hands and fingers are almost solid callouses, about once a month I have to literally sand the palms of both hands, and the insides of all my fingers........also the inner edge of both thumbs(those are the worst callouses) because if I don't, my hand will actually start to "drag" on most guitar necks.

Sanding with 150 grit (nails and hands all) keeps my hands smooth, and "slicker than owl sheet".

I "dress" my nails once a week............sanding them down to the skin underneath' date=' and removing any dead or excess skin as well.

I've done this for so long that I don't feel pain from it any more, just occasional heat if the grinder is running too fast........:- . (My wife actually bought me an AVON nail grinding wheel that I use for quick "touch ups" in between)

Due to the nature of my "day job" my hands and fingers are almost solid callouses, about once a month I have to literally sand the palms of both hands, and the insides of all my fingers........also the inner edge of both thumbs(those are the worst callouses) because if I don't, my hand will actually start to "drag" on most guitar necks.

Sanding with 150 grit (nails and hands all) keeps my hands smooth, and "slicker than owl sheet".[/quote']

Man, I'm not sure I want to know what you do, but I can guess what it takes to get skin like that, plus, requires that much diligence to compensate! I used to get callouses like that when I was younger. Back in the day in a garage band, I could put a cigarette out on any of my left fingertips! After a long, hot shower, my left fingertips would delaminate and I'd peel off layers like an onion... but I'm too old for that stuff now and just entertain myself. [biggrin]

I "dress" my nails once a week............sanding them down to the skin underneath' date=' and removing any dead or excess skin as well.

I've done this for so long that I don't feel pain from it any more, just occasional heat if the grinder is running too fast........:- . (My wife actually bought me an AVON nail grinding wheel that I use for quick "touch ups" in between)

Sanding with 150 grit (nails and hands all) keeps my hands smooth, and "slicker than owl sheet".[/quote']

Man, I'm not sure I want to know what you do, but I can guess what it takes to get skin like that, plus, requires that much diligence to compensate! I used to get callouses like that when I was younger. Back in the day in a garage band, I could put a cigarette out on any of my left fingertips! After a long, hot shower, my left fingertips would delaminate and I'd peel off layers like an onion... but I'm too old for that stuff now and just entertain myself. [biggrin]

I cut mine down to almost the quick, leaving a hairline of white nail. I do have calluses, but the nail interferes if I let them get any longer, especially when I play the higher strings with my ring and pinky fingers.

I had a serious demilination of the callus a few weeks ago. It seemed that the callus had a "blister" effect under them, and the callus came right off. I had noticed that the callus was very hard, to the point where my finger would slip off the string I was trying to press down on. Now I too "dress" my fingers but cutting and filing nails, and run a soft emery over the calluses to keep them less "hard". Did that make sense to anyone?

Sheila

While were at it' date=' how about calluses? How do you (all) keep them hard and in good condition.

I'm sure part of this, is "age related(?)" (I'm old as dirt), but I play almost everyday, for a decent

period of time, and yet my calluses aren't "rock hard," by any stretch. Maybe I wash my hands

too much? LOL!

CB[/quote']

Generally my skin "toughens" after the initial callus is formed then worn off. For persistent hard calluses I use a callus file which is basically an abrasive substance fixed on a paddle made of plastic. Typically these are made for foot care and they have a coarse side and a fine side. Mine was made by Revlon but there are MANY, MANY different forms available from many manufacturers.

Of course you could easily make your own.

While were at it' date=' how about calluses? How do you (all) keep them hard and in good condition.

too much? LOL!

CB[/quote']

What is this 'callus' of which you speak? I swear, I hardly get them any more. My finger tips are just thick now.

I will get them if I play bass long enough for several days in a row. But never from guitar these days.

And my bass calluses are hard, thick, peely and usually have blisters under them. They usually disappear after a few days and my finger tips just return to being thick.

Nothing like playing a bass with blisters under your calluses! It feels freaky, man!

I keep the nails on my fretting hand as short as I possibly can without cutting them down to the quick,this means a trim every 5 or 6 days.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archived