Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Basses

Mega

I'm pretty much dead set on getting one of these. My dilemma is that I'm not happy with the finishes offered. But, I did see on ebay, an Epi LP Bass with a sun burst finish and white binding, so they do make "custom" colors outside the 4 offered. My question is, can I simply "special order" one with a finish I want? This is America isn't?

And where do you suppose the bass on eBay with the burst finish is? Special issue? When can one normally expect these to be released?

Sorry for the million questions, but I'm super cereal about this.

Thanks,

Mega

The problem is, they don't make the one with the binding any more. That's the "standard". All they make now is the "special". Flat top slab body with the same pups that come in the Epi T-bird. The "standard" had an arched top and binding, and chrome covered pups. I am not a fan of either. You can not custom order one either. Epiphone doesn't have a Custom Shop. If you see an Epi with "Custom Shop" on the back, they really mean "Limited Edition" or "Special Run". "Epiphone Custom Shop" is just marketing BS.

In my opinion there is only one LP Bass worth getting, and that's the last encarnation of the Gibson Les Paul bass.(Not the slab body version, the VERY short lived version with maple cap, double binding and two-piece Warwick-stlye bridge and tail piece) SOME of the them came stock with Bartolini pups and preamps, making them all the more drool-worthy. There's also the "Money Bass" that was pretty much a double cutaway LP Bass, but there was only, like, 400 of those made, so...

So you have some options:

1: Get a used "standard" (ebay, craigslist, ect. They come up from time to time.)

2. Suck it up and get a "Special" ( new or used, slightly more common than the "Standards")

3. Save your pennies and get the Gibson LP Bass I've desribed above. (This is what I would do if I HAD TO HAVE a Les Paul Bass. These are pretty rare. They don't come up often seeing as peolpe really like them. IMO they are the best bass Gibson has EVER made. I've seen them go on eBay for as little as $550 (4 string, black painted, standard electronics) and as much as $1200 ( 5 string, fancy figured maple top w/ translucent finish and Bartolini electronics))

Welcome to the forum, by the way. Isn't it a little cold up in that balloon this time of year?

Archived