Gibson Brands Forums

I found this intriguing...

Hungrycat

So I was giving all my instuments their monthly cleaning, and I decided to delve a little deeper in to my Elite LP. I took of all the covers, took out the pups, got all the dust 'n'n grime out, ect. I was just starting to put the rear control cover back on, and I noticed a sticker on the back of it that reads: "E - PROTO Epi Prototype Instument 07/10/03" then has the serial number (matching the headstock) and a barcode. I know since Nashville is home of Gibson and Epi that the prototypes get out. At the Gison yard-sale when I got my Elite, I could have had a black and silver Gibson Eye Guitar prototype. Guitar Center Nashville has the new '52 LP RI that says "prototype" on the back of the headstock. Sam Ash Nashville has the same with their Dusk Tiger, and puzzling-ly a white Explorer that says "prototype", even though it appears to be a new,standard, white Explorer.:-s What are you guys' thoughts about these "prototype" insturments? How does this impact value? Just how rare are "prototypes"? Inquiring minds want to know.

One-offs, limited runs and prototype instruments probably do harness more money if you don't alter them.... But you would have to get some sort of statement from Epi or Gibson that your 2003 is in fact a prototype. Certainly since it is a 2003, Epiphone or Gibson will have record of it.

Archived