Gibson Brands Forums

Got to try a mini in a humbucker route

I am searching for a neck pickup that performs like the 1960 Epiphone NYC pickups. I have read they were not humbuckers but actually single coil and assembled in a special way. They had their problems, but also that certain vintage sound/tone I am after.

I am resigned to the fact I will not find a couple of these pickups easily.

So my plan is to try out a humbucker sized p-90 (either a Gibby p-94 or a GFS mean 90).

To see if that gets close to what I am after.

I also want to try a few mini humbuckers, especially the GFS fat mini which is described as just what I am looking for:

"Like a good full sized PAF with about 20% of P90 dialed in."

I know it will not be simple replacing a humbucker, with a mini humbucker, but that is what I want to do.

So, I will need some sort of adapter ring, and I have found two, and if they do not work for me I will have to try and make a ring myself.

Adapter 1 "Black" on e-bay

Adapter 2 "Gold" from jackofroses

As anyone done this before, is there anything other I need to know, like special pots for minis, or positioning the minis, or any problems anyone can see with what I propose to try out.

I'm pretty sure that the original mini-buckers were actually humbuckers, and that many met their doom at the hands of Tele players. It seems that a mini-bucker, once taken appart would fit side-ways into a tele neck pup cover. Anyways, I think that you should be able to use those adapters and the same pots that you would use other wise.

Hi Hungrycat

Check this thread out explains where I am at with this research so far' date=' the ones I am talking about were single coil, they were only called "humbuckers" falsely later on:

NYC Mini Humbuckers

Interesting stuff. (I'll have to remember that link... saved!..) I'm reasonably sure the modern ones are double coil though...

I am searching for a neck pickup that performs like the 1960 Epiphone NYC pickups. I have read they were not humbuckers but actually single coil and assembled in a special way. They had their problems' date=' but also that certain vintage sound/tone I am after.

[b']I am resigned to the fact I will not find a couple of these pickups easily. [/b]So my plan is to try out a humbucker sized p-90 (either a Gibby p-94 or a GFS mean 90).

Ok Joe, I see you are determined to find that elusive vintage tone that was on the early Gibson made Epiphones?

The "NYC pickup" on original Epiphones is only available on Epiphones of that era, because of their value today

as collectibles. Most are in the $5000 range. These were SC and rectangular with cream coloured plastic bezel.

block...and I'm sure these are not the ones you are after.

These, BTW, were never referred to as the "NYC pickup" by Epiphone when they were still in business up

to 1957. They were called the Tone Spectrum. Later models also had adjustable pole piece screws offset

towards one side and were considered the final evolution of their famous "Tone Spectrum" pickup.

Here is what it looks like mounted on a vintage Epiphone guitar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1954-pre-GIBSON-EPIPHONE-CENTURY-ARCHTOP-NR_W0QQitemZ160389659571QQcategoryZ118985QQcmdZViewItem

The Gibson produced mini-bucker, used on some Epiphone electrics of that period have a different design

(and tone) from the original Epiphone SC pickup. They are pricey but can be found on E-Bay.

Here is one store that is offering a set.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1971-Gibson-Mini-Humbucker-Pickups-Embossed-EX

Hi Dan

It is the pickups on this guitar, The 1960 Epiphone Zephyr.

These are the pickups I am writing about, I assume they are the Epiphone NYC's.

Of Course. I would like an original pair.....OK, that is not going to happen...... so the closest item available today is what I am hunting for:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Just wish I could find a pair of these on e-bay and then I would be satiated :-)

The only thing I can do is try out various options, until I am plugged into my amp and shout EUREKA.

It will probably be a mini of some description, and eventually they will go in my Sheraton.

So, I will need adapters, and that is what all this research is about.

Ideally, I would like the P-ups out of the guitar in this youtube clip in my Sheraton.

That is not going to happen so, I have to experiment. Pure and simple.

One day, when I have what I want, then I have to thank you Dan, and all the others who have helped on this forum, for all your help.

Hi Dan

It is the pickups on this guitar' date=' The 1960 Epiphone Zephyr.

[/quote']

They sound more like SCs than humbuckers to me. I don't think they are the

Gibson mini-hums used on the late 60s Epi Riviera and some other models as

they have a LOT of BITE!

I've read that when Gibson first bought out Epi in 1958, there was some original

Epiphone tone spectrums that they used for a while on their Kalamazoo made

EPIs until the supply ran out.

Just wish I could find a pair of these on e-bay and then I would be satiated :-)

You are definitely after the elusive butterfly here looking for an original pair as

they would be on an guitar of that period and worth a lot more with the guitar.

The second EBay link I provided is a pair of Gibson embossed mini-buckers that

they are asking $595 (Rivington guitars in NYC)..but even if they are period

minibuckers..I doubt they are going to provide the same bite as the NYC ones

on that guitar the guy is showing off with.

The only thing I can do is try out various options, until I am plugged into my amp and shout EUREKA.

It will probably be a mini of some description, and eventually they will go in my Sheraton.

The only way you are going to get THAT sound is find a pair exactly like it..or experiment with

various other alternatives. Like a humbucker sized P-90....or buy that guitar he is showing

of course. There are custom pickup builders that could probably wind one that is close to

that SC sound (like Jason Lollar) but without knowledge of the type of magnet used..

ie: Samarium Cobalt or Alnico II..it's going to be a long shot and expensive one at that.

One day, when I have what I want, then I have to thank you Dan, and all the others who have helped on this forum, for all your help.

Thanks, some of us are interested in the historical part of this great company and it would be nice to

be able to find more information on their pickups.

Hi Dan

That is what I really like about this forum.

Finding so many knowledgeable people, who have time for novices like myself, and share a genuine love of these guitars and their history.

What you said about Jason Lollar is interesting.

Maybe I should e-mail all the leading bespoke pickup makers and ask if anyone of them has ever taken one of these pickups apart.

I am sure one of them has at some time and has some idea of what is in there.

What do you think the going rate would be to have a set custom wound........?

If the 4 on my suspect list of off the shelf P_ups don't do it, I may just consider investigating wait it might cost to have a pair wound.

Hi Dan

It is the pickups on this guitar' date=' The 1960 Epiphone Zephyr.

Of Course. I would like an original pair.....OK, that is not going to happen...... so the closest item available today is what I am hunting for:

[YOUTUBE']

[/YOUTUBE]

Just wish I could find a pair of these on e-bay and then I would be satiated

Those are mini humbuckers in the youtube video, not NYCs. You can tell the difference by the pickup surround. NYCs look like this

epipick1.jpg

Notice that the pickup ring does not go all around the pickup like a standard humbucker / minihumbucker ring.

Although I'm generally impressed by GFS pickups, I've never tried their minihumbuckers so I can't comment. I almost bought an old Epiphone that had Seymour Duncan minis, they sounded fantastic.

Someone once posted this template for a minihumbucker adapter ring:

Miniadapter.jpg

Perhaps Twang could make a couple for you.

Good luck.

That is why I really like about this forum.

Thanks' date=' there are quite a few knowledgeable people who frequent this forum..and

that's why it is interesting to me.

I have some experience with some of these pickups in the late 60s.

(then a big gap after that). I bought whatever books were still around on one

of the greatest guitar companies in the world, that unfortunately a family tragedy struck

them hard.

What you said about Jason Lollar is interesting.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Dec/Jason_Lollar_The_Pickup_Artist.aspx

Jason is a boutique pickup maker and he can make any style as long as he has

some idea of what you are looking for. So is Seymour Duncan, and a handful

of other boutique p_up builders like Lindy Fralin.

Any one of these great boutique names can do if as a custom order..provided

they have the mechanical and electrical specs and this you would have to

get from someone that has one of those original NYC Epiphone tone spectrums.

The specs that I can think of is..

1. Wire guage used on the NYC..probably #42?.. but Fender uses #43 awg..which

is a thinner wire..(probably because of the space constraints on the Fender SC)

and with their magnets you get that unique Fender SC strat/tele sound.

2. Inductance of the coil..function of the coil winding and number of turns around

the bobbin.

3. Type of magnet used..the type used helps to shape the characteristic sound..

warm, or that biting SC sound..or somewhere inbetween.

4. To some degree the volume/tone values, cap values and the type of cap.

Some people on this forum will swear that a cap is a cap..maybe it is and

maybe it isn't when it comes to pickups and tone shaping.

Maybe I should e-mail all the leading bespoke pickup makers and ask if anyone of them has ever taken one of these pickups apart.

Any vintage NYC pickups are worth their weight in gold..so unless some has one from a long time back

they would know by studying and measuring. It's the magnet material and availabilty and how the

magnet material was actually magnetized inhouse that is the key here.

Gibson magnetized their own on the P-90s and humbuckers. Pre WWII pickups were made from different

materials (iron cobalt maybe) and had different guassian field strengths when magnetized as well as aging o

ver the years, where some of that original magnetic strength is lost and the pickups "mellow" a bit.

WWII introduced AlNiCo, so post war, the type of magnet such as Alnico II/III or even V, is a

secret "witches brew" of metals makes a big difference in the tone response as well.

I am sure one of them has at some time and has some idea of what is in there.

What do you think the going rate would be to have a set custom wound........?

Maybe. I don't know about the going rate for custom. You would have to contact each

pickup builder you are interested in and get a quote. Depending on their research and

time spent trying to come up with a formula for a custom set..expect 2-3 times the going rate of production

units.

If the 4 on my suspect list of off the shelf P_ups don't do it, I may just consider investigating wait it might cost to have a pair wound.

Well you should get something "close" from your short list. However unless you are lucky in finding a substitute,

even a custom made one..don't expect to come up exactly with one that sounds like the original NYC ones.

You are searching for the Holy Grail here..and unless you find the actual ones..it will bother you for a long

time whether you found it.

Those are mini humbuckers in the youtube video' date=' not NYCs. You can tell the difference by the pickup surround. NYCs look like this

Notice that the pickup ring does not go all around the pickup like a standard humbucker / minihumbucker ring.

[/quote']

Well, you maybe right JerryMac, but my book on Epiphone shows several variations

of the tone spectrum SC pickup.

In one picture..yes, the tone spectrum has the pole piece screws set towards the

front and the pickup ring does not surround the actual pickup . This is the early

variant of the tone spectrum circa 1947.

Another colour page shows a Zephyr Deluxe (circa 1949) with a single

humbucker sized Tone Spectrum with a surrounding cream ring, and the pole piece screws are more

towards the center.

Another picture of a Zephyr 1947 shows a soapbar size plastic cover Early variant

of the Tone Spectrum.

Another one a 1955 Century with the traditional metal Epiphone overlay headstock plate

clearly shows a single humbucker sized p_up with a full metal cover and no screws

and a surround black pup ring with the pointy 11 sided white knobs.

While it is possible that this could be a Gibson pickup retrofitted...but I doubt it,

as this is a collectors guitar owned by the author of the book.

Obviously there was some evolution of the Tone Spectrum towards cessation of operations in

The new York style pickup...here's what Jason Lollar said about them...

"Lets see if I can explain it clearly Its just a bar magnet app.2-1/4 X 3/4 X 1/4 or 5/16

magged through the 3/4" dimension. So one of the 5/16" face is north and the other 5/16" face is south.

The coil is wound around the magnet (the 2-1/4 X 3/4 direction) and one of the 5/16" faces butt up against the screws (the 3/4" face is parallel with the strings as is the coil).

Its very simple and has no other parts, it is what some would call a "sidewinder" and may mistakenly attribute its design to Bill Lawrence.

http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Pickupology/Introduction.htm

Joe...you might also want to investigate the LACE sidewinder in a soapbar size as these have the

sideways mounted coils.

http://www.lacemusic.com/electric_pickups/ps_900_905/soapbar_specs.php

Well' date=' you maybe right JerryMac, but my book on Epiphone shows several variations

of the tone spectrum SC pickup.

In one picture..yes, the tone spectrum has the pole piece screws set towards the

front and the pickup ring does not surround the actual pickup . This is the early

variant of the tone spectrum circa 1947.

[/quote']

The pickup I posted is the one commonly referred to as the New York pickup, and the pickup JoeSamick is asking about. These are the pickups Gibson used on some early Kalamazoo Epiphones until they ran out of old stock. That's when Gibson created the minihumbucker as a replacement that would fit the Epiphone routings. The pickups in the video he posted are not NYs, they're Gibson minis.

Here's the rundown from the Vintage Guitar Web Site:

Different Epiphone Pickups used.

Pic thanks to LB Fred.

Epiphone New York era pickups (left to right):

* Row 1: 1941 TrueBalance Zephyr pickup, 1947 Zephyr Master pickup

* Row 2: 1948 Tone Spectrum Zephyr Deluxe pickup, 1950 non-adjustable NewYork Century pickup.

* Row 3: 1950's Adjustable DeArmond pickups, 1949 Tone Spectrum pickups, 1949-1961 "NewYork" pickups.

epipicks.jpg

Note: "New York" style pickups (right side column 3 above, and color picture below) are the most common New York-era Epiphone pickup. They are also considered the "best" top-of-the-line pickup model for pre-1962 Epiphones.

epipick1.jpg

Pickups:

* New York: retangular metal covered with small slot-screw poles, poles very close to edge, mounted to top by screws through cream-colored "blocks" or side extensions, dimensions 1 1/8" by 2 13/16" (3 5/8" wide including mounting blocks): 1946-1961.

* Rectangular metal covered, larger than New York style, 1 1/2" by 3 1/8", phillips-head screw poles, poles not in center but not as close to edge as New York style, yellow/cream colored frames: 1950-1954.

* Gibson made Mini-Humbucking: used on Gibson modela like the 1969 Les Paul Deluxe, samller than Gibson standard humbucking pickup, 1 1/8" by 2 5/8", double coil, rectangular metal covered, slot head screw poles close to edge, black plastic frame, similar in size to the New York style pickup: 1961 to 1969.

* Gibson made P-90 pickup: standard on many Gibson models of the period, single coil, poles across center, attached by screws through triangular "ears" extending from each end, some models fitted with rectangular (no ears) "soapbar" P-90 pickup covers.

The pickup I posted is the one commonly referred to as the New York pickup' date=' and the pickup JoeSamick is asking about. These are the pickups Gibson used on some early Kalamazoo Epiphones until they ran out of old stock. That's when Gibson created the minihumbucker as a replacement that would fit the Epiphone routings. The pickups in the video he posted are not NYs, they're Gibson minis.

[/quote']

Yes, you are right..as always. [biggrin]

And these New York style ..apparently.. is a sidewinder design that Jason Lollar is talking about. Yes, I have those

pictures you posted of the various pickups Epiphone NYC had on their guitars in my book..House of Stathopoulo.

Now here's an interesting thing I discovered for point of discussion...apparently..according to some online

sources, Epiphone was working on the mini-bucker and supposedly had designed one to fit into the NYC

SC or "sidewinder" design, but basically had stopped development due to union problems in the early 50s .

What are you rcomments on that?..is the mini-humbucker truly a Gibson development or a continuation

and improvement on an existing design from Epiphone ,that they had bought the rights to?

When Continental Music took over control with production being transferred to Philadephia as well as Orphie

liquidating some of the production machinery to Guild and Gretsch. In '56 control switched back to Orphie

but very little was produced due to union animosity, and the fact that some parts of the factory had already

been liquidated.

What they had produced in Philly, the quality was bad and they weren't selling,

so Oprhie threw in the towel and sold it lock, stock and barrel to Gibson, who got the plans, dies, forms and tools to produce some models.

Now is it is possible that some of the early NYC pickups were cannabalized from the warehouse of bad quality

guitars, because it would be cheaper for Gibson to do so..even if they had to make the guitars from

scratch themselves to get around the quality issues?

Wow, you guys just amaze me.

Well I just have to find sidewinder single coil minis.

Dan, thanks for the Lace link, those pickups have very interesting architecture, given the discussion in this thread.

Well, worth investigating I feel.

But how would I get soapbars to fit in a Sheraton........????.....:-)

Now here's an interesting thing I discovered for point of discussion...apparently..according to some online sources' date=' Epiphone was working on the mini-bucker and supposedly had designed one to fit into the NYC

SC or "sidewinder" design, but basically had stopped development due to union problems in the early 50s [/i'].

What are you rcomments on that?..is the mini-humbucker truly a Gibson development or a continuation

and improvement on an existing design from Epiphone ,that they had bought the rights to?

I wouldn't be surprised if Epiphone was working on a humbucker, just about everyone else was, but I think the design was Gibson's. The mini bucker is basically a miniature PAF. I think Gibson wanted something to distinguish the Epis from the Gibbys to appease the Gibson dealers, that way they could say they're not as good because they don't have Gibson pickups. By keeping the general appearance of the New York pickups, it allowed the Epiphones to retain a distinctive identity along with the vine inlays and other classic Epi characteristics.

If you think about it, a Sheraton or Riviera is different than an ES-335. The pickups are different, the tailpiece is different. But think how many times someone has said a Casino is the same as an ES-330.

Happy New Year mon ami

Hi Mr Jerrymac

Very good point. About the similarities between ES-335 and ES-330 to the Epi models. That hits the nail on the head. I am "not" looking for a regular 335 PAF sound for my Sheraton.

Hope one day to have a nice Dot with a couple of Gibson '57s or GFS '59s (I have a long term plan to own 5 guitars have three at the minute the Epi Dot and a Epi Firebird are for the future)

I will come clean, I am a massive John Lee Hooker fan and he played one of those Zephyrs for many years and he also played Sheratons.

Pure and simple that is why I would like the Sheraton with those sidewinder single coils with that bite and bark.

From everything I have read above the only available pickup that I can buy today with a similar internal architecture to what I am after is the Lace p-900 (thanks Dan).

Lace say it is built like that with the sidewinder design is to get that vintage 50's tone, which sounds to the point, in what I am searching for.

Bummer it is a soapbar..........I have written to the Lace technical department to ask if they can pot the same pickup into a gold mini humbucker housing.

Worth a shot.

I wouldn't be surprised if Epiphone was working on a humbucker' date=' just about everyone else was, but I think the design was Gibson's. The mini bucker is basically a miniature PAF. I think Gibson wanted something to distinguish the Epis from the Gibbys to appease the Gibson dealers, that way they could say [i']they're not as good because they don't have Gibson pickups[/i]. By keeping the general appearance of the New York pickups, it allowed the Epiphones to retain a distinctive identity along with the vine inlays and other classic Epi characteristics.

If you think about it, a Sheraton or Riviera is different than an ES-335. The pickups are different, the tailpiece is different. But think how many times someone has said a Casino is the same as an ES-330.

Happy New Year mon ami

Yes, thankyou and a Happy New Year to you and everyone on this forum,

(even if it's a few hours late now.)

I read somewheres that the mini-bucker was not specifically a Gibson design as it had been designed in the 30s by someone. Perhaps some additional research was done by Gibson to improve it. The same with the humbucker..

although the credit for the PAF design was given to Seth Lover, who admitted in his interview with SD that they

had a hard time getting a patent for it..as there were patents applied (and granted) by others. In the end, they

had to include some additional hardware to secure it (the patent) which was later removed by Gibson in the

production PAF units. No mention of what these additional pieces were, or how they functioned in conjunction

with the PAF design and could be removed as "extraneous".

As far as Epiphone, from my recollection of what was going around in the late 60s, was that they wanted something

that was not equivalent to Gibson but still provided a humbucker sound. Back then you couldn't get a Classic 57

style humbucker for love or money from Gibson ..unless you sent the "defective" unit back to them.

With production at it's peak in the late 60s, they just didn't have any humbuckers to sell as parts to anyone

that wanted to equip any guitar with humbuckers..even a Gibson.

I read in my book, allthough there is no proof so far..that Epiphone, due to some market pressure,

(as Gibson had come out with the humbucker, but didn't go into production with them until around '57),

they had started their own design of something similar... that was scuttled when most of the

NYC factory production was moved to Philly (by Continental Music), to get around the NYC union

and labour problems that Epiphone was experiencing under Orphie's style of management.

He disliked the union and they disliked him....and the rest..including that missing piece of their history

from '56 to sometime in '58 when they were bought out.was only known to a select few..

who unfortunately ..today..are no longer around to help write about those 2-3 years.

After the acquisition by Gibson, Epiphone was setup as a different shop on Elenor St.

(vs Parson St. for Gibson), with different production lines,

although the white wood still came from Gibson, and so did some of the experienced labour

to start up the production lines and guide new employees.

Pure and simple that is why I would like the Sheraton with those sidewinder single coils with that bite and bark.

From everything I have read above the only available pickup that I can buy today with a similar internal architecture to what I am after is the Lace p-900 (thanks Dan).

Lace say it is built like that with the sidewinder design is to get that vintage 50's tone' date=' which sounds to the point, in what I am searching for.

Bummer it is a soapbar..........I have written to the Lace technical department to ask if they can pot the same pickup into a gold mini humbucker housing.

Worth a shot.

[/quote']

Yes, it's worth a shot. The soapbar will not fit into the Sheraton's hbucker rout as

it is too wide and you would need to do some additional routing..which you

DON'T want to do to your Sheraton!

I had to think about it for a while before replying to your question about fitting

the soapbar..which is basically the same as a p-90 without the dog ear cover.

Here are the dimensions for all three types of pickups:

The humbucker is 2.80" L (71mm) x 1.58" W (40mm) and the p_up ring is a bit

bigger obviously to accomodate the route and the adjustment tab screws on

the humbucker "tabs" or ears.

The Mini-Humbucker is 2.58" L x 1.08" W and 2.92 inches between the holes

for the mounting tabs..so other than a different adapter ring, it should fit

over the existing humbucker routed opening.

The soapbar is 3.38'L x 1.38"W and as you maybe able to determine from

the length..it is too long (by a bit over 1/2 an inch)

to fit into the humbucker cavity even with a custom made ring for it.

Repackaging a p-90 style soapbar and magnet dimension into a humbucker

sized package is not a trivial undertaking. Reducing the magnet and coil

dimensions may have an effect on the tone of the pickup.

GFS and other p_up makers have done that..but even the GFS mean 90

does not have quite the growl of the familiar Gibson p-90 and it's massive

magnet.

Now that doesn't mean that's it's not doable..just difficult and would

take a bit of effort. The Casino did come with dog ear P-90s, so

it is possible that the neck angle at the last fret will accomodate a

surface mount p-90 soapbar..or these sidewinders...if the fixed

height does not intefere with the fretted string height at the last

fret.

This is all a matter of scale, I see that now.

Those original Epiphone sidewinders fitted in a mini humbucker, but these LACE PS-900's although a sidewinder design, are much bigger.

Probably would not be able to get them in a humbucker casing, never mind a mini going from your measurements there.

Don't worry Dan, would never dream of altering the routing on my Sheraton.

My eventual solution will be in a humbucker of mini-humbucker casing.

This is all a matter of scale' date=' I see that now.

Those original Epiphone sidewinders fitted in a mini humbucker, but these LACE PS-900's although a sidewinder design, are much bigger.

Probably would not be able to get them in a humbucker casing, never mind a mini going from your measurements there.

Don't worry Dan, would never dream of altering the routing on my Sheraton.

My eventual solution will be in a humbucker of mini-humbucker casing.

[/quote']

No, the humbucker rings will not fit around a soapbar..that is why there is

no conversion adapter rings specifically to acommodate a soapbar into

a hbucker rout.

Now, bear in mind that the Casino did come with dog ear p-90s and this

is a hollowbody thinline similar to the Sherri but without the center block

of course..so if the set neck angle is high enough to accomodate a P-90

height (around 3/4 inch), making an adapter plate to fit the soapbar

to the routed humbucker hole isn't going to be that difficult...BUT..

you won't have any p_up height adjustment.

Well even if the Lace sidewinder is not the right one for your Sherri, don't give

up on the sidewinders as a possiblilty. Contact Jason Lollar..if it is doable to

put a sidewinder design (which from what I've found out is a two coils lying

on their side rather than flat), he should be able to do it in a standard humbucker

package.

If cost is an issue, then either try a Seymour Duncan boutique mini-bucker

or even those repackaged P-90s that GFS sell.

I have a couple of those on my homemade DC LP semi-acoustic

"Bluesmaster"..and they really bark and bite!

The only thing with them... and it's not that objectional, (if you surround them

with a bit of copper foil shielding), is a slightly perceivable hum when you

select either the neck or bridge by itself. In middle position on the switch

the hum is cancelled because the bridge is reverse wound from the neck

simulating the humbucker S coil in humbuckers.

These are SCs, not humbuckers and replicate a p-90 pretty good IMO.

Certainly, you are not going to be out too much at the GFS price to

try them.

Weird with guitars isn't it.

The wife has gone to her friends out of town, and taken the kids with her today.

Sat here, playing my Sheraton and totally enjoyed myself all afternoon.

Got a nice set up on the Valveking, clean channel with the bright button pushed in, and thought to myself "I am really enjoying this".

1989 stock Epiphone pickups certainly not barking and biting, but sounding OK.

I know, when I eventually put a new assembly in (checked the size of my F hole and they are just over an inch at the widest point) it will be a big improvement, and I think, I will wait until that sidewinder solution is found.

Interesting, I once said to Carverman, I am looking for the "Holy Grail" half jokingly. That is the very term a reviewer uses about the LACE PS-900 in a review on Harmony Central:

Overall Rating : 10

Comments: The best phrase for this is "big sound." If you've ever listened to Tool or A Perfect Circle, their guitar sounds have lots of "texture" and deep, ominous clean sounds (not the cheesy cliche' strat clean sounds). If you want full, slightly dark but still barely glassy sound, this pup is for you. It's the absolute best neck pup I've heard so far,and I've had various single coils and humbuckers from Duncan, Dimarzio (Humbucker from Hell), etc. THE PERFECT NECK PICKUP! by the way, nice bluesy distortion without ice-pick buzz. The PS-905 in the bridge, however, is a little buzzy for my taste so I may change that to a Dimarzio P-90 Super Distortion, and that combination might finally put an end to my search for the holy grail of tone :-)

Hey Dan, that has got be a sign, if I want the Holy Grail, it has to be a sidewinder pickup.....:-)

....and that combination might finally put an end to my search for the holy grail of tone :-)[/i][/b]

That's is a standard (and maybe overused?) term in guitar circles..

...for those that don't qute have it yet' date=' have some concept of what it should sound like,

but so far haven't found it. [biggrin

That's is a standard (and maybe overused?) term in guitar circles..

...for those that don't qute have it yet, have some concept of what it should sound like,

but so far haven't found it. BigGrin

The Holy Grail........:-) I love a good cliché, however abused and over used, tongue was firmly in my cheek Dan....

Archived