Gibson Brands Forums

Got to try a mini in a humbucker route

The Holy Grail........:-) I love a good cliché' date=' however abused and over used, tongue was firmly in my cheek Dan....

[/quote']

Well, I prefer "vintage sound" myself. Anway, there is a bit more that I should probably

add to this thread in regards to that vintage sounding "NY pickup".

To get that authentic sound, you need to know the pot values and the value of the

cap and maybe the type of cap used. Most standard guitar cap values are

typically 0.01uf for a SC like the Fender, 0.02uf or 0.022uf for the LP types

and 0.047 for the darker jazz guitar humbuckers.

There are other values out there, that are not always stocked by the online

guitar parts stores..like 0.027 or even 0.033uf that will change the rolloff

curve and have some bearing on the tone as well.

I've been a fan of mini-hums for a while and I think you can come close to the tone you are after for short $ with a GFS alinco mini and an adapter ring. I put a set in an SG I had a while back and it sounded great. I'd try it and see what you think....if it's not "the tone" you are only out $35 for the pickup.

Hi Layboomo

One of the 4 on my hit list I "have" to try out at some point in near future. You mean the Fat Minis? Hope Jay can do those in Gold......just see chrome on the website.

Yup that's the one......don't know about the gold though? The Duncan mini's(SM-1,SM-2 and SM-3) are great too but they are twice the money. They also have a coil tap capability,but they get pretty thin that way IMHO. The SM-3 has a great crunchy slide tone.

Yup that's the one......don't know about the gold though? The Duncan mini's(SM-1' date='SM-2 and SM-3) are great too but they are twice the money. They also have a coil tap capability,but they get pretty thin that way IMHO. The SM-3 has a great crunchy slide tone.[/quote']

Nice to hear from you over here LB. Yes, I can't say anything bad about GFS or

their prices..I've built 3 guitars and upgraded pretty much most of my Epis with

their p_ups and parts with no complaints. I haven't tried their minis yet..maybe

on that 3/4 size Flying V style I be building this winter.

Nice to hear from you over here LB. Yes' date=' I can't say anything bad about GFS or

their prices..I've built 3 guitars and upgraded pretty much most of my Epis with

their p_ups and parts with no complaints. I haven't tried their minis yet..maybe

on that 3/4 size Flying V style I be building this winter. [/quote']

Hi Dan........Happy New Year Buddy! Yeah the GFS are good bang for the buck PUP's I agree. I liked the alinco mini's quite a bit and I would recommend them particularly the neck pickup. I've tried a few different sets of GFS pickups and the only ones I was disappointed with were the Dream 180's. I think the mean 90's are some of his best however. I can't wait to see your 3/4 V project....you always do such nice work on your guitars Dan!

Hi Dan........Happy New Year Buddy! Yeah the GFS are good bang for the buck PUP's I agree. I liked the alinco mini's quite a bit and I would recommend them particularly the neck pickup. I've tried a few different sets of GFS pickups and the only ones I was disappointed with were the Dream 180's. I think the mean 90's are some of his best however. I can't wait to see your 3/4 V project....you always do such nice work on your guitars Dan!

Happy New Year to you too LB.

I never tried the "Dream" series..as I'm not a Gretsch fan...Some people are crazy

about them..(although I did have DeArmond/Gretsch p_ups on my Gibson made

Epi Triumph and they sounded good on that guitar).

I have a set of GFS mean 90s and I really like those.

Like you and others have mentioned, if you can afford the boutique ones, get SD

or even Gibson, they will certainly make a difference..but for the most part, you

can experiment with a half dozen of the GFS and even if you only use one or

two...you are not out that much at that price.

I put mine on molex connectors so I can swap them out quicker without soldering.

I've haven't done it yet, as so far I'm satisfied with them..but if I ever decide

to change the neck, which is the ones I use the most, it will be a lot easier to do it.

Archived