Gibson Brands Forums

New Custom Epiphone, what does it need?

fluidnyc

Hi Dom! Very curious question from someone with your guitar collection. Did you inherit them?

Epiphones generally come with 10's, not 9's for strings and it is always best to match size. The nut is cut to match the string size, and changing string size MAY cause issues with set-up, buzzing, etc. If getting the guitar through a store, they should do set up/intonation for you. If you know how to do yourself, excellent, if not, no shame, take it to your favorite place to have done, or try doing yourself! It's the best way to learn. It's how I did it!

Sheila

No did not inherit, i wish ;p - I started with the fender bullet strat, tried to learn to play with that, got frustrated put it down, touched gibsons, fell in love, bought 2, now getting an epi to get started again. Jimmy is one of my fav players so i got that one for collection. This time i will go to an instructor for weekly lessons. I want learn to play out the songs I like. I know about tabs and stuff, but learing chords and changing chords, finger placement, i need to get used to it..

PS: I also want to pick up an Ibanez K7

What does it need? Nothing.

What would it benefit most from? New strings; Epiphone ones suck. I personally like Everly Medium Rockers, they aren't for everyone though.

Everything else on the guitar is personal preference.

No did not inherit' date=' i wish ;p - I started with the fender bullet strat, tried to learn to play with that, got frustrated put it down, touched gibsons, fell in love, bought 2, now getting an epi to get started again. Jimmy is one of my fav players so i got that one for collection. This time i will go to an instructor for weekly lessons. I want learn to play out the songs I like. I know about tabs and stuff, but learing chords and changing chords, finger placement, i need to get used to it..

PS: I also want to pick up an Ibanez K7

[/quote']

Usually people start with lessons, then the GAS attacks happen! Interesting that you started collecting before playing.

Going through a teacher is a great idea, and the teacher should be able to steer you in the direction of a good place to have work done on your guitars should any be needed.

Here's a suggestion for a book showing tabs with finger placements. It has pictures of actual fingerings as well as alternate fingerings. Oh course, your teacher will also be able to help with this, but having a book is strongly suggested as you will not be sitting in front of your teacher every time a question comes up.

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Chords-Deluxe-Full-Color-Educational/dp/0634073893

Sheila

I always change the strings on a new guitar,even fresh out of the box.I have found D'Addarios to be superior to most but as with guitars string choice is purely subjective.I find D'addarios stay bright longer and stay in tune better than most,I use 08-38 but I do extreme bending,most people opt for 09-42 or 10-46.If you intend to play mostly leads )9-42 would probably be a better choice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Archived