Gibson Brands Forums

Question - Method to control sustain?

gmf1a

Drape your thumb over the low-E

use your middle finger (the ball) to "tap" the A

palm mute when applicable

raise your stop bar tailpiece (if equipped) to produce the same string angle as your headstock.

use more amp volume/less guitar volume

get used to it

All of the above + let your strings stay on long enough to go dead,but then again with dead strings you'll most likely have intonation problems.Question:Is there a particular reason why you're adverse to sustain?Most guitarists are constantly in search of ways to increase it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the above, and/or try a fully hollow-body guitar, which tend not to sustain so much, if that's the sound you're after. Semi-hollows like Epiphone Sheratons, 335's, etc, have a solid block down the middle which improves (lengthens) the sustain.

All of the above + let your strings stay on long enough to go dead' date='but then again with dead strings you'll most likely have intonation problems.Question:Is there a particular reason why you're adverse to sustain?Most guitarists are constantly in search of ways to increase it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------[/quote']

Reason = lack of skill

My first two days with an electric

Just would like it to be more like the acoustic decay or better yet dial-able

I am starting to get used to it - a bit

Learning to use an amplifier is a large part of electric guitar. Do a lot of knob twisting (guitar knobs and amp knobs) and listening. Search the Internet for information such as "gain structure," and "tone stack." This will help you to determine how to get your equipment to produce the sounds you seek. Tone search is a life-long journey...welcome and have fun!

Most electric guitarists like the sustain, and therefore most electric guitars are made to sustain. This is a good thing when playing lead melodies.

Going from acoustic to electric guitar is like learning a new, but related instrument. It takes different technique and a different style of playing. What you do on the acoustic sounds best on the acoustic, and the things you learn to do on the electric will not sound as good on the acoustic. They are different instruments.

On the acoustic you are playing the guitar. With the electric you are actually playing the pickups and amplifier. The guitar itself is merely the controller for the electronics.

Experiment and find out what the electric will do that your acoustic cannot do, and then embrace and use the differences. In time you will probably learn to love and use the sustain.

Insights and incites by Notes

Thanks for the suggestions

I am definately having fun here

I googled the acoustic stomp box and found this video

Sounds promising

For what he was playing I do like no box better - still looks promising

Video of acoustic stomp box

(Video is from 2006 - I see the currnt unit is an AC-3)

After playing a few of the videos seems more for strumming

Not really what I want

Archived