Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton with no product stickers - dodgy?

irishdazzler

Hi Guys,

just picked up a nice little Sheraton the other day from a nice genuine guy who could talk me through all its 20 year history.

The guitar looks and sounds awesome and the serial number checks out, however there is one thing that worries me. There are no product stickers visable through the F holes.

why????

is this genuine or is that nice old man going to get his windows smashed? (joke!)

D

20 years old? They may have just fallen out, or he may have taken them off? It's

a bit "odd," as I have 40+ year old guitars, that still have their Gibson blue lables.

But, I "baby" my guitars. Photos would help. Is there any glue residue, on the

inside back under the "f" hole. If so, maybe the lable just fell off, 'cause the glue

dried out, too much? Hard to tell...

LOL!! I guess Joe and I were on the same wave length, at the same time....

CB

Some photos:

You'll notice the extra switch on the guitar. The previous owner was an electrician and tried to make a few adjustments to the pick ups - its all been restored now, just without the switch being removed

http://s806.photobucket.com/albums/yy348/irishdazzler/

Hi irishdazzler your serial and mine are one month apart I bought mine in Sweden and yours also has the 5 piece neck I would say yours and mine a pretty nice pair of Sheratons Tobacco Sunburst and Natural. Pity about the quality of Korean glue....:-)

Hi Guys' date='

just picked up a nice little Sheraton the other day from a nice genuine guy who could talk me through all its 20 year history.

The guitar looks and sounds awesome and the serial number checks out, however there is one thing that worries me. There are no product stickers visable through the F holes.

why????

is this genuine or is that nice old man going to get his windows smashed? (joke!)

D[/quote']

It's a 20 year old Samick made Sheraton, made between 1989 and 1992. I've had 3 Samick Sherrys from that period, none of them had a label in the f-hole.

Hi irishdazzler your serial and mine are one month apart I bought mine in Sweden and yours also has the 5 piece neck I would say yours and mine a pretty nice pair of Sheratons Tobacco Sunburst and Natural. Pity about the quality of Korean glue....:-)

How odd is that!!?! pretty cool too!

I always wanted the tobacco sunburst - it just looks so much cooler than the natural! but I still love my "genuine" sherry!

.......I always wanted the tobacco sunburst - it just looks so much cooler than the natural! but I still love my "genuine" sherry!

I have to agree, the only thing that stops me from completely loving my Sheri is it being Natural, the Tobacco-Burst is my favorite on this guitar.......

You said the guy gave to 20 year run down.... has the neck ever been modified ie block inlays put in a Dot or extra Dot inlays placed on 17th, 19th 21st fret for some reason? For curiosity's sake what is written on the P-up...?

I've just checked the headstock and neck and there are no signs that they have been replaced at all. Though on the higher block inlays there is a little bit of glue on the edges - which isn't there on any of my other guitars, which makes me suspicious.

You guys know so so so much more than me about these so are there any other ways to tell if this is a Dot thats been made to look like a sheraton?

D

Only a novice myself, but if the neck has block inlays and dots logic demands, that one or the other, are an after fabrication.

Might be useful to take a closeup of the inlays and show them to experts like Musikron, that guys got eagle eyes, spots things others miss, cos he does this stuff professionally.

Get those close ups on here and these guys will give you the answer that is for sure.

It's a 20 year old Samick made Sheraton' date=' made between 1989 and 1992. I've had 3 Samick Sherrys from that period, none of them had a label in the f-hole.

[/quote']

I have 2 Emp IIs made by Samick in the early 90s..none came with labels and from closer

examination of the f-hole where the glue residue should have been, (if it did a label

originally and it came off), there is no glue residue.

So I would have to agree with your conclusion that Samick wasn't putting on labels

on those early ones and in some cases a sticker with the sn..like my '91.

Interesting enough on the '91 EmpII, the trc has Gibson engraved, and on the /95

Joe Pass, it's silk screen on in paint that rubs off easily. I don't understand why

a company with a long history would go as far as putting their name on certain

parts of a product, yet never bother to install a label with a sn and a model number.

It's another Epiphone quality inconsistencies where they didn't pay attention to detail, IMO.

I only own 2 Epi's The Joe Pass Emperor 1997 has a label, The Sheraton 1989 has no label. Surely someone higher up at Epiphone could clarify this quirk and stop all the confusion by stating when the Korean builds started to have interior labels. Always thought mine had dropped out, but from the evidence everyone is putting forward, these 1985-1995 (roughly) Epiphones don't seem to have had labels.

Archived