Gibson Brands Forums

1967 Riviera

Woko

Look whats turned up in a local music shop what do you thinks is it worth the money.

I have had a quick go it seems ok ' date='but could do with a set up.

[/quote']

Full sized humbuckers??? Stop tailpiece??? See kiddies, that's what all those drugs in the '60s did to us.

My head is hurting trying to figure out what 1500 pounds translates to in our worthless paper money, but I would posit that it's value as a vintage instrument has been seriously devalued by the mods. What they basically done is turned a Riviera into a Epiphone ES-335. What I would do is do a little research and figure out the going rate of a similar 335 and a stock Riviera. If it's 1/2 the price of the 335 or 2/3 the going rate of a stock Riviera, I'd consider it. Think of it in terms of a gigging guitar, not a vintage collectible. You don't want to suffer the depreciated value when you sell it, you want Dolphin music to take the loss when they sell it to you. And since you would be buying it as a gigging guitar, have them set it up and make sure it's a good player before you invest.

Good luck.

Mr Jerrymac here you go....£1500 = $2,422

All this talk of Liverpool is making me homesick, just spent another boring New Year in Sweden.

Wish I would have been in Lark Lane or Liverpool City Centre, seeing 2010 in.

Happy New Year everyone, and special greetings to everyone born within a 5 mile radius of the Liver Buildings.

16b St Andrews Gardens, Liverpool 3, is place I jumped out onto this planet......I miss the old country.....:-(

If that's the Riviera that's at Dolphin Music in Liverpool it's been around for quite a while now. There was a thread here about it some time ago where someone was thinking of buying it. Apparently it had a lot of modifications over the years and was more like a 335 than a Riviera, not that I think that's bad you understand but it's still a lot of money for a heavily modded vintage guitar. I've seen a fair few all original Riviera's going for around the £1600.00 mark so it's not THAT cheap considering.

£1500 = $2' date='422

[/quote']

Thanks Joe. It's been a while since I sold a guitar to the Isles, that's about what I remember. I don't know the British vintage market, but I do know just from the boards that Rivieras with full-sized buckers are desirable due to the Oasis connection.

I wouldn't spend $2500 for it.

riv.jpg

If I had the opportunity (and cash) I'd buy it. the mods appear to be well done, and It's pretty awesome. It's what you'd call "Player's Vintage." Plus wouldn't you love to say you have a 67 Riviera? Who gives a rat's a$$ if it's modded? The people who are anal about vintage guitars being all "original" are just another form of snob in my book. Did you ever consider that MAYBE it's BETTER now? Purely subjective, but still, give it a chance...

If I had the opportunity (and cash) I'd buy it. the mods appear to be well done' date=' and It's pretty awesome. It's what you'd call "Player's Vintage." [/quote']

Methinks you missed the point, it seems that it's just priced too high for what it is. It's not a matter of snobbery, everything has a value and no one wants to overpay, especially when it comes down to someday selling it at a loss. Now I've bought plenty of modified vintage guitars, but I wouldn't pay the same for one as I would for a pristine one. It's not being anal, Lord knows I've done some pretty far out mods in my lifetime, but $2500 for that guitar is a lot of money. Both mods are not reversible, the pickup routes had to be enlarged and the studs for the stop tailpiece, so you can't restore it to original, you're stuck with someone's mods.

Plus wouldn't you love to say you have a 67 Riviera? Who gives a rat's a$$ if it's modded? The people who are anal about vintage guitars being all "original" are just another form of snob in my book. Did you ever consider that MAYBE it's BETTER now? Purely subjective' date=' but still, give it a chance...

[/quote']

Yeah, but it ain't a 1967 Riviera anymore. You've taken away the two things that makes the Riviera distinctive from a 335. Now this might be a great alternative for someone looking for a vintage 335 at a bargain price, but it's market value is not the same as either a pristine Riviera or a Gibson 335. As far as it being better, reread woko ono's initial post:

I have had a quick go it seems ok ,but could do with a set up.

Not exactly This guitar is great. I gotta have it. Seems OK for $2500 guitar??? For that kinda scratch, it better be more than OK.

Yes' date=' over priced by about 70%. maybe even more. I would say around 1400 DOLLARS.[/quote']

For what a vintage Gibson goes for HERE IN NASHVILLE, that's not a bad price... (I followed the formula, given in one of the above posts.) You do have to take into account the location of a given product to determine fair market value. The dollar equivalent is just about spot on to be sold in Nashville. It might be high for other places but if it was sitting in in Grunhs, that's about what you'd pay for it. You pay FULL MARKET VALUE around here, 'cause most everybody knows their stuff around here, therefore, not many good deals to be had.

As it's been mentioned, and I've said before, what we'd pay in the United States for a used or vintage guitar means nothing in Britain.

There's a 1968 Riviera 12-string on eBay UK for £1850, and a 1967 ES-335 for over £3000.

I don't think the price is too bad - maybe a little bit high, but if it plays well it's worth it.

The people who are anal about vintage guitars being all "original" are just another form of snob in my book.

So' date=' that's snobbery

Plus wouldn't you love to say you have a 67 Riviera?

and that isn't?

Archived