Gibson Brands Forums

SG Army!!!

outforblood

I'd definitely get one of the body wasn't all lopsided and weird.. it's like they took the EDS-1275 and just tacked extra wood on in the first available spot to dodge a lawsuit. [biggrin]

I'm not paying $1000 for an Epi if it's made out of plywood. [biggrin] I'm also not paying $3-4K for a Gibson.[biggrin] This is the best solution, IMO. So I'l just have to put up with the slightly "off" shape.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dance to a slightly different drummer...........

GarysCam047.jpg

and...........I found this online, it's the very same guitar I owned 20 or so years ago...........still got my Dimarzio in the bridge, and in other pics, my neck repair is still visible.(AMAZING the things that turn up online)

elecoak1.jpg

EDIT: B.T.W. if any of y'all run across the owner of this guitar, I still have the stock bridge p'up if they want it........or, I'll buy it back if reasonably priced (I miss it)

I dance to a slightly different drummer...........

GarysCam047.jpg

and...........I found this online' date=' it's the very same guitar I owned 20 or so years ago...........still got my Dimarzio in the bridge, and in other pics, my neck repair is still visible.(AMAZING the things that turn up online)

[img'][/img]elecoak1.jpg

EDIT: B.T.W. if any of y'all run across the owner of this guitar, I still have the stock bridge p'up if they want it........or, I'll buy it back if reasonably priced (I miss it)

I had a somewhat similar experience a few years back...When I was about 17 I had this Dean guitar that I hocked for a Washburn....10 years later I see my old Dean, stickers and all sitting at the same pawn shop! They either never sold it or it wound up there a second time. Btw, that carving on that sg is whack...did you do it?

• 2 weeks later...

Arrghhh....

I traded mine a while back. I slightly regretted parting with it at the time, and seeing this thread makes me regret it even more...

DSCF0258-1.jpg

Still, at least I've got this to make up for it. Sacrilege, to some, I'm sure, selling an SG to buy one of these...and double sacrilege to then post such a photo in an SG thread...(!)

Tele4.jpg

Johnny.

killer SG's, guys!

mines a black 1998 Gibson SG Special, got it in 92. man! i cant believe ive owned a guitar long enough to drink legally (he he!) [biggrin]

its in storage right now due to my moving, but i hope to release the beast soon. ive upgraded stuff on it over the years. Dimarzio humbuckers, push/pull phase switches each on 1volume and 1 tone controls, 2 mini 3way toggle switches for coil tap and series/parallel switching. kept the main 3way toggle switch. locking tonepros kluson tuners.

ive owned several guitars over the years, and i STILL go back to my first serious guitar. The thing just sounds beautiful and deadly!

If theres ever a fire, its the SG Special that gets saved.

Like JC's Beauty - I was lucky enough to come across one myself. This Guitar is simply a Killer.

Gasee

Epiphone65SGCustom001.jpg

Nice guitar!! I really lucked out on mine because production had quit when I got mine. I went to my favorite music store and I was looking for an Epi 1275. They had 2 used ones, but I just didn't like the feel of them. I was walking out and there it was. I grabbed it an walked around the store with it for about 15 minutes and then put it back. Got in my car and got a couple of blocks away and turned around and went back. I grabbed it and put it on layaway. Really glad that I did, it was the last one they had. I asked to see if they had another one that I could compare it to, but they didn't. That was a long 2 months until I paid it off.

I love the looks and feel of the Maestro.

Thanks JC- I had the same experience - I walked into a GC looking for a Cheap Strat and saw this sitting on the floor. It was dead mint/ almost like it was never played. I plugged it in and was blown away - nice beefy neck/ Great sounding Humbuckers and the Vibrola was the icing on the cake. One of the nicest guitars I have purchased in along time. Its a Keeper.

Gasee

I'll play. 2000 saein plant

25176863.jpg

55446099.jpg

Got it free a few years ago with the neck broken and some other issues.

29166391.jpg

Fixed the neck , put a cover over the hole in the top, and put a Gibson 490R/490T set and new pots in. Also changed the tuners.

I really like it. It obviously needs a new nut and it's all dinged up, but it plays good and sounds good.

I had a somewhat similar experience a few years back...When I was about 17 I had this Dean guitar that I hocked for a Washburn....10 years later I see my old Dean' date=' stickers and all sitting at the same pawn shop! They either never sold it or it wound up there a second time. Btw, that carving on that sg is whack...did you do it? [/quote']

No, the carving was "factory" work.......it's an early 70's Electra (Japan) "Tree of Life" SG , the carving is grapes,vines & leaves........the vine & leaf motif is carried up the maple fretboard in mother of pearl & abalone inlays........I got it used in '87 for $75 and sold it in '92 for $200 to finance a "road trip".........wish I'd never sold it, it sounded GREAT !!

Another strange "how did THAT get here" experience.........in '93 I sold a really nice '68 Univox Coiley (ES-335 hollowbody copy) for $350 here in Northeast Alabama, to finance a road trip to Pensacola Florida. Then in '99 I was browsing a guitar shop IN Pensacola Fl. and what was hanging in the used guitar section? that very same Coiley, with my identification mark still hidden on it.

"Stranger things have happened."

Archived