Gibson Brands Forums

SG Army!!!

outforblood

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recently acquired SG400. 2004 model I believe. So far it's completely stock. I will be adding a Les Trem to it, and a graphite nut to help with the tuning when using the Les Trem. Other than that I think it's going to stay stock. It sounds great, so if it's not broken, I won't fix it.

esg1.jpg

esg3.jpg

esg4.jpg

This is a Gibson SG (Special?) I bought off a friend in the early '70's. I think it originally had only 1 pickup, probably a P-90. It was modded with 2 Gibson humbuckers ("Gibson" engraved on top), a Bigsby vibrato inlaid into the wood and Schaller tuners. The pickups were rewired, so you could switch between normal and out-of-phase with a small toggle switch. It also had a small master volume control on the full-size pickguard for volume swells, etc. Please excuse the cropped B&W pic - it's the only one I have...

SG-1.jpg

Unfortunately, it was stolen and the guy carved his initials in the back [crying] The police found it in a pawn shop and returned it to me. I took it to the music store to get repaired, but as I was standing in line at the counter, I sold it to the guy standing behind me for $400.00, as is.

I then went out and bought a beautiful (used) Gibson Les Paul Deluxe (2 mini's) for $500.00. I modded that with out-of-phase pickups and a master volume control. That one was stolen as well [blink], but that's ANOTHER story...

I hear ya AS90 - Got laid off after 30 years/ same place. And now I am lucky if I can earn 1/2 of what I use too. But don't want to get into Politics - Just glad I can afford a Eppy.

Gasee

If I dont find work soon my Elitist will be gone too [blink]

Wow BKitten youre the first one i see that owns a G310 Emlily Le Strange lol' date=' how does it play? Any difference with the G310?

[/quote']

None, really. The Emily is a tricked-out G-310, plain and simple. None of the changes in the Emily model compared to the normal G-310 affect the playability, it's all just cosmetic stuff.

The giutar plays fairly nicely, is comfortable and sounds as good as any other SG if you ask me. Not 100% perfect in build quality (has a bad fret, neck needs adjusting etc) but then it is a G-310 that I got for $AUS350 which is dirt cheap so looking at it that way I certainly got more than what I paid for. I actually prefer the Emily to all the Gibson SGs I've played because the neck on the Emily is a bit thinner. I don't like Gibson's fat necks. The only other SG I've played that I like more than the Emily is the Tony Iommi G-400, which feels fantastic, I would buy one if I had infinite money to spend on guitars.

Unfortunately' date=' it was stolen and the guy carved his initials in the back [crying'] The police found it in a pawn shop and returned it to me. I took it to the music store to get repaired, but as I was standing in line at the counter, I sold it to the guy standing behind me for $400.00, as is.

I then went out and bought a beautiful (used) Gibson Les Paul Deluxe (2 mini's) for $500.00. I modded that with out-of-phase pickups and a master volume control. That one was stolen as well :-k, but that's ANOTHER story...

It seems like you're somewhat unlucky with guitars.

It seems like you're somewhat unlucky with guitars.

Yeah' date=' the LP Deluxe was stolen along with a Peavey Classic combo (with 2 Altec Lansing 12" speakers). That was around 1976 or '77. Several months later, the police once again found it in a pawn shop. The insurance company offered the guitar back to me, but I had already received a payout of $1335.00 for the guitar and amp. I used that to buy a Gibson ES-335TD used for $550.00 (which I kept for almost 20 years before I sold it for $1400.00).

The SG, Les Paul and the amp were stolen from a church I attended at the time. We stored our gear under the stage. Obviously, somebody attended a service (possibly attracted by the music) and scoped out where we put the gear, then came back and ripped us off. Thankfully, the church insured the musical instruments on a rider.

Just be aware that people could be watching what you do with your gear...[biggrin and have good insurance!

Archived