Gibson Brands Forums

G-400 upgrading...

outforblood

I want to replace the nut on my Chinese G400 faded...what would be a good option for metal? Bone, tusq, other? Will replacing the nut make much of a tonal difference? I had an ESP with a Earvana nut...the intonation and sound was average to say the least. Also I might change out the bridge pickup for a Gibson...which one would beef up the sound best? Yeah.. I like my pups how I like my women....hot and beefy. ha ha!

I want to replace the nut on my Chinese G400 faded...what would be a good option for metal? Bone' date=' tusq, other? Will replacing the nut make much of a tonal difference? I had an ESP with a Earvana nut...the intonation and sound was average to say the least. Also I might change out the bridge pickup for a Gibson...which one would beef up the sound best? Yeah.. I like my pups how I like my women....hot and beefy. ha ha![/quote']

Bone is excellent, but tusq nuts are good too. The important thing is having the nut cut right. The best material cut poorly will suck.

Check out a Gibson Dirty Fingers pickup - a great bridge pickup, but not for the meek.

I have a Tusq nut on my EE G400. It looks better than the black plastic one that was on there and I think it does sound better as well.

Many buy there's from Graph Tech (which I have done as well) but I have found a way to cut the price in half.

EBAY is the way to go. You can get a slotted nut for $6.95, which is about half the price as Graphtech. And shipping is only $2.95. I think this particular seller even packages the procduct much better than GraphTech. And you only need to do a little bit of sanding on it to get it to fit correctly.

Here's a link ----> http://cgi.ebay.com/TUSQ-NUT-SLOTTED-1-4-EPIPHONE-GUITAR-NUT-PQ-6060-00-XX_W0QQitemZ180449097512QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item2a039ab728

Bone is nice. But having it cut by a pro is the real deal maker. A pre slotted nut is not going to improve playability or feel one bit. Ever guitar is different and needs a nut custom made just for that instrument.

How much would a custom fitted bone nut go for at a shop?

Well' date=' follow the link in my sig and check out my prices to give you a ballpark idea. I don't wanna put up prices here though as lots of folks have to pay MUCH more for their work, esp in other countries and backwoods areas.[/quote']

Word.

Archived