Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge/stopbar combo help!

Guest icantbuyafender1281734135

Guest icantbuyafender

Like we know, LP jrs and SG Jrs come with a wrap around.

But, when its already lowered all the way down, and that isnt low enough for good action... what are the options?

The bridge is bolted all the way down, the nut has been tailored to fit, and the truss rod is fine.

What are my options in lowering the action?

(this is for my "FrankenPaul Jr" epi that i rebuilt from ground up)

The only other options are a lower-profile bridge, like the Hipshot Baby Grand or Schaller combo, or a neck reset.

In the case of the Epiphone Juniors, you can shim the neck so it's at a different angle.

[EDIT] Looking at them better, I don't think either of those bridges will help you.

Some wrap around bridges are just too high to get good action. I put a Wilkinson on my '57 LP JR. to get better intonation. It helped the intonation, but the action was too high with it. I had to go back to the original bridge. I wound up selling the Wilkinson on Ebay.

I would say try another bridge.

Guest icantbuyafender

I'm gonna just shim the damn thing.

should I use this extra neck bolt plate to raise it evenly?

Its just a random part that could be used...

The best way I can see to do it is to find some planed (flat) wood, drill holes to match the screws, and cut to size.

I recommend sanding the finish from the bottom of the neck, if it isn't already bare.

That assumes you want to raise the entire neck. You could also just adjust the angle, and only shim the very end.

I'm gonna just shim the damn thing.

should I use this extra neck bolt plate to raise it evenly?

Its just a random part that could be used...

No' date=' you don't want to raise it evenly. You want to increase the neck angle in relationship to the body.

Take an old credit card or something similar, cut a strip wide enough to fit between the screw and the front of the neck pocket, and put it in the pocket closet to the body comme ci:

[img']http://www.ibanezrules.com/images/tech/grunge/neck_pocket.jpg[/img]

Guest icantbuyafender
No' date=' you don't want to raise it evenly. You want to increase the neck angle in relationship to the body.

Take an old credit card or something similar, cut a strip wide enough to fit between the screw and the front of the neck pocket, and put it in the pocket closet to the body comme ci:

Thanks, oh wise one!

Gonna get on that.

Got to agree with Jerry... Neck angle is all important.

The only thing I might suggest is a tapered wooden shim. The larger

the area your shim covers, the better the coupling. Coupling being

the contact between the neck and body. The more area you have touching,

the better the transfer of vibration, the better the tone.

What this man says. I had to do the opposite with my strat as the bridge saddles didn't go high enough. :-k

Archived