Gibson Brands Forums

Mini or full sized humbuckers

Chris the Gent

All about voice and tone and particular taste and for the pros performance..... I am very much an amateur guitarist, but I know the tone and voice I want for each of the 3 guitars I own at the moment.

I am hunting for something akin to the Tone Spectrums, and early NYC minis for my Sheraton.

I think I may have found what I am looking for. It is a mini... I have them on order and will put them in my Sherri in the coming weeks.

One can never know for sure until the p_ups, wiring, guitar and amp come together, so many variables involved.

So I will just have to wait and see if they do the trick, for me.

There are many different kinds and quality of minis.....here is an example of a mini being used by a pro....for a specific reason.

I have just read this guys biography "Guitars, Bars, and Motown Superstars" recommended reading for all guitarists whatever your musical tastes, he gives a stark insight into what it was like to be a session musician and producer over thirty years of the last century.

Top session Guitarist in the 60's and 70's Dennis Coffey used a Gibson Firebird in the studio he had this to say:

gibsonfirebird6.jpg

This is the Gibson Firebird Guitar I used on most of my sessions including the Motown Sessions. I purchased this guitar used in Detroit in 1964. I do not know how old it is. This guitar is my best all around session guitar. It was great on Motown back beats, fills and solos and the sound was bright enough to cut through the entire rhythm section. I also used it on my Under the Moonlight album in the 1990s.

Firebird Minis..... Dennis also used a Gibby 335, 345 and a Byrdland but the session guitar that could cut through a whole rhythm section at Motown (that must have took some doing...) was the Firebird with the mini humbuckers.

Here is a thread you may find of interest where many have commented on the history of the mini humbucker and its development.

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=12761

Not a stupid question.

I find a mini to have a some what thinner sound, but not as thin as a single coil. Actually, I prefer a mini humbucker over a regular. I find that the neck pickups don't have as much bottom end, which I like.

A mini will not fit a regular humbucker routing, unless you get a custom made pickup ring. I put a set in my '56 GT in my avatar and I love them. It had P90s.

I have the mini-hums in my Wilshire re-issue. To my ears they are brighter than full size but they seem to have a slightly compressed, nasal sound when I play hard.

I put a set in my '56 GT in my avatar and I love them. It had P90s.

Are those the Seymour Duncans in your GT? I was thinking about getting a pair of those and I wondered what they were like.

JG

Are those the Seymour Duncans in your GT? I was thinking about getting a pair of those and I wondered what they were like.

JG

The minis in my GT are Gibsons. I have a friend that swapped out a set of Gibson Minis in his GT Deluxe for a set of SDs. He said he liked them a lot better. I wanted to try the SDs, but I couldn't find any pickup rings for minis. AllParts has them, which I didn't know then. AllParts also has the mounting brackets for minis, which I also didn't know at the time. They have black and cream rings.

Those mini humbuckers were installed on the gibson LP in '69 and the man said that tone was his favorite. I played one and agree. A hollowbody without F-holes does sound nice, check Gretch Country Gent Chet model. Or a low budget version of it made with a Ventura or Bruno label in the orient. Quite sufficient!

Sorry for what may seem like a stupid question' date=' BUT

whats the difference between mini and full size humbuckers apart from the size? Also, is it possible to fit mini humbuckers to full size space on my guitar?

hope this makes sense???

-Chris.[/quote']

Here's the short version: full size and mini humbuckers are virtually identical in design (and were both designed by the same man, Gibson's Seth Lover), but because of their smaller size, a mini humbucker is made with fewer turns of wire around the bobbins (about 4250 on each bobbin of a mini humbucker vs. about 5,000 on each in a full size). Less wire means less output, which ultimately effects the tone produced. Most would describe a mini humbucker as brighter and thinner than one that's full sized.

As an aside, Joe Samick mentioned the mini humbuckers in the Gibson Firebird: these were actually different pups from the mini humbuckers in the Epiphones from that time period (early '60s). The pups in the Firebird had no indiviually adjustable pole pieces, and smaller magnets than those in the Epiphone pups, so they were extra bright.

Red 333

-Don't know who Dennis Coffey is, but that Firebird SCREAMS Johnny Winter!!

Hi AnthemBassMan

(Got most of Johnny and Edgar's album's but wanted to highlight the session musicians art as a specific example of using the mini for a performance purpose)

You will have heard many of the tracks in the link below at one time or another. Dennis Coffey was the session guitar player on them all and many others....If you are a Bass Man also do a wikipedia on his close friends James Jamerson and Bob Babbitt great bass players....

http://www.denniscoffeysite.com/discography.htm

also here is one of the tracks Dennis played guitar on, the list is endless...Here Dennis with his Firebird and Wah Wah.....Cloud Nine was my favourite album when I was 14 wore that album out on my old Dansette....this is a good example of Dennis in the Motown studio, also check out the bass line...... "The Funk Brothers" as the Motown session men were called, great musicians.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT1NltuQyHI[/YOUTUBE]

can't resist this either here is "Scorpio" by Dennis Coffey and Detroit Guitar Band (Babbitt on bass in this one) classic funk...

Have to dig out my flares and platforms....NOT, but the musicianship was great...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfLnqoL-lRs[/YOUTUBE]

Archived