Gibson Brands Forums

Pick-up replacement/upgrade EJ160E Lennon

gregga41

Hey guys, i have just bought a secondhand Lennon acoustic/elec in excellent condition,used. Problem is the pick-up is shot! Any suggestions for replacement or upgrade on this model? Price is not so much a factor within reason, as i paid only AU$250 for it. The tech at the shop went over the pots, resoldered a few broken wires on the pots and replaced the input jack. When plugged in, there is a buzz each time i touch the pickup screws. ALl suggestions appreciated.

Assuming it's just the pickup that's not working, I recommend a Seymour Duncan SP90. I have them in my Spirit, and I like them quite a bit.

Installing one in a J-160E will require a partial disassembly, but I'm sure there's someone around that can do it.

Hey guys' date=' i have just bought a secondhand Lennon acoustic/elec in excellent condition,used. Problem is the pick-up is shot! Any suggestions for replacement or upgrade on this model? Price is not so much a factor within reason, as i paid only AU$250 for it. The tech at the shop went over the pots, resoldered a few broken wires on the pots and replaced the input jack. When plugged in, there is a buzz each time i touch the pickup screws. ALl suggestions appreciated.[/quote']

If you can ship it to Duncan they will do a rebuild of the PU which is what I had done with mine. I had mine done by them several years ago and paid under $100 USD. Have your tech pull the PU and ship it.

I had them use an alnico magnet in mine though I'm not sure now if they used 3 or 5.

Mine came back very bight so I had to have 250k pots put in to bleed off some of the treble and still roll the tone back to about 7 on the guitar.

The above is my fault, when I had mine done I told them it was going in an acoustic guitar. I should not have offered that information and just told them to voice it as close to a P90 as possible so they have some reference of what you want, just passing along if you do go that route.

Hope it helps.

Dave

Archived