Gibson Brands Forums

Problem Keeping my Epi Les Paul Standard in Tune

rjames1973

Hi,

I purchased a new Epi Les Paul Standard back in October. I love the guitar, but ever since I got it I've had trouble keeping it in tune. The G, B, and E strings seem to be the ones that get out of tune the most, as I do a lot of string bending on those strings. Does anyone else have this issue with the Epi Les Paul? If so, what are some ways I could eliminate this issue? Thanks for the help!

Well there will be all sorts of experts chiming in but a few basics will help. Correct string winding when replacing strings can be very important. There are plenty web tutorials on this. Enough turns isn't really the issue. Light gauge strings will stretch a bit if you're a severe bender no getting around it. Strings need to be stretched out when first installed by pulling on them some and retuning until they no longer go flat when you tug on them. Done properly this can be done mere hours before a gig and not have bad tuning problems. Budget model guitars of a few hundred dollars or less can have substandard tuners that don't do the job well although I have a hard time envisioning a worm gear backing off anyway. It does matter that you tune "UP" to the note using a tuner not "Down" to the pitch. This preloads the worm gear with tension the right way.

If your nut is having sticking strings issues there can be tuning problems.

Ricochet,

Yes, I do hear a sharp "ping" sound whenever I do adjust the tuning on the guitar. I've heard about a product called "Nut Butter" that has a graphite solution that you can put in between the grooves of the nut to alleviate issues with the strings going out of tune. I might have to try that. Also, the guitar still has the strings that were on the guitar when I got it from Musician's Friend. Maybe it's time for a string change?

I had the same issue with my LP, Its mainly the G string. I had it set up with new strings this stopped it for a while.

The other day when I played it the G string was out of tune, when I turned the nut I heard that old familar ping.

I call the person that set it up told him what was going on, he said to use some good ole pencil graphite in the groove to lubricate it. It worked for me.

Archived