Gibson Brands Forums

full sheraton mod advice for newbie please!

Noijj

Hi all! I'm new here. My first gtr was a Korean Sheraton in 92' and I loved it. I foolishly px'd it for an MIJ Fender jag which I no longer own. The good news is I have another now, a 2000 Samick blonde LH Sheraton II. I need some help though! The strings go out of tune alot (B used to be a problem but this new one is B, top E, and G). I guess it needs a new nut, was thinking earvana who claim to fix it. I also want to do some major mods. I have a guy to do all the complex bits as I have 2 left hands and would hate to damage her! I want to get back to chrome or nickel, add some cream accents and do something different with pick ups etc. I've been following the threads and would really like some comments/advice please. I'm all over the GFS website, any experience you can share? thanks.

I was thinking -

- New nut (earvana or tusq)

- Grover rotomatic 18:1 machine heads (I like the imperials but they are 14:1, is there a major difference, ill they fit existing holes and do I need lefty versions?)

- cream pickup rings

- alpha mini pots 500k, orange drops, new switch with cream toggle (GFS), new jack (GFS)

- GFS Dream 180 vintage voiced humbuckers bridge and neck (in the pearl/chrome cases), these are a filtertron/P90/PAF blend and sound very interesting or GFS CLassic II's for something more traditional 335 sounding

- Finally, if I'm going to go back to chrome/nickel type finish, the bridge, saddles and stop bar etc. will need to be replaced and I've heard this can be very complex getting the right parts.

Although mine is a 2000 Samick, the f-holes are a little larger than I've seen, my guitar tech seems to think he can work through pickup spaces too (guessing though I think). What do I need to know about the replacement bridge possibilities given it's a 2000 Samick. What are the critical measurements?

Lots there, sorry. But you guys have a wealth of knowledge, this is a big exciting project for me and I could really do with any advice from those who have some to give.

thanks all!

Just what I know:

- New nut (earvana or tusq)

Shouldn't need Earvana unless the bridge in not intonatable. Go with the tusq, or bone initially.

- Grover rotomatic 18:1 machine heads (I like the imperials but they are 14:1, is there a major difference, ill they fit existing holes and do I need lefty versions?)

IMHO, there's nothing wrong with the stock Epi tuners, but some folks like to change them out for looks.

- cream pickup rings

An aesthetic decision.

- alpha mini pots 500k, orange drops, new switch with cream toggle (GFS), new jack (GFS)

Sounds good to me, will make a difference so worth the trouble.

- GFS Dream 180 vintage voiced humbuckers bridge and neck (in the pearl/chrome cases), these are a filtertron/P90/PAF blend and sound very interesting or GFS CLassic II's for something more traditional 335 sounding

Not enough experience with the various GFS, but a lot of folks go straight to Gibson 490T/R. It's a hassle and expensive to swap out PUPs, so unless cost is really a factor, might go with the best you can afford. Lollars or Seymour Duncan are also popular.

- Finally, if I'm going to go back to chrome/nickel type finish, the bridge, saddles and stop bar etc. will need to be replaced and I've heard this can be very complex getting the right parts.

I think that's right. But what's wrong with the stock parts?

Although mine is a 2000 Samick, the f-holes are a little larger than I've seen, my guitar tech seems to think he can work through pickup spaces too (guessing though I think). What do I need to know about the replacement bridge possibilities given it's a 2000 Samick. What are the critical measurements?

Bridge post spacing is critical. You'll have to get this off your guitar, as there is some variance. Try Tonepros (www.tonepros.com)

Some Sheratons have a very large hole in the bridge pickup cavity that can be worked through - see this thread:

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=12229

Cheers, Brian

Thanks for such a quick response Brian. I promise to post pics after it's done. You could well be right about the pickup choice upgrade though SD's or Gibson will cost about 2/3rds as much as the guitar (UK prices I'm afraid). Stock parts hardware-wise is gold (tarnishing) hence my need to change the parts (unless there is a good way to strip them back?).

If you can separate the parts from the guitar, use Goo-Gone Extreme / Acetone on the gold parts. Don't use metal polish, it will remove any remaining plating in a few rubs. Acetone is the active ingredient in Goo Gone Extreme, so don't get it anywhere near the guitar finish, it will melt it. Also use in a well ventilated area...

See: http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=11494

PS: Layboomo seems to think Dream 180s are no good: http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=12913

Thanks again Brian. Can you check the link for ladyboomo pls, it takes me to the f-fole debate? Also, just to clarify, will the goo-gone take the parts back to chrome, i.e. bare metal and strip the gold, or just clean them up? Thanks.

Thanks again Brian. Can you check the link for ladyboomo pls' date=' it takes me to the f-fole debate? Also, just to clarify, will the goo-gone take the parts back to chrome, i.e. bare metal and strip the gold, or just clean them up? Thanks.[/quote']

Oops, here it is, check post #5: http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=12913

Acetone and a soft clean cloth should only remove tarnish and oxidation. An old clean T-shirt seems to work well. If the finish is worn through to the base metal, it may make that more apparent. If corrosion has deformed the metal, it will not return it to the original state. But it does a heck of a job cleaning parts that are in good shape underneath a lot of muck. For example, the pickup on the left was cleaned with Windex, the one on the right with Goo Gone Extreme:

P1010961PUPsmall.jpg

Thanks again for your help. Where did you get the imperial buttons? Sounds interesting idea and cost effective. Also, anyone else out there with opinions on PUP changes. I play mainly a rythym/lead stle, arpeggios, loose country, clean style but some jazz ballad warmed up stuff. I was looking at GFS PUP's Dream 180's or Nashville/Liverpool, P94 types or keeping the sound more 335 generic by replacing with 59's. I hear mixed reports on GFS, mainly good, but they are cheap compared with KA, SD, Gibson etc. Are they simply good value i.e. don't worry about the price, or are they really no big improvement on the stock PUP's in terms of qulaity and sound?

I like the stock pickups in my stock Korean Sheraton II, no immediate plans to swap them out. Can't comment on the new ones, no experience...

They're probably fine for the styles you mention above, you might want to give them a few months before you make a decision...

I put a set of GFS Dream 180s in a G-400 that I still have. I went with the pearl ones cause I thought they looked cool, they didn't sound so cool, at least IMO. I didn't particularly like them, they were too bland for me. I replaced them with Burstbuckers.

I have put GFS Vintage 59s in my Dot and Sheraton. I really liked the difference. Are the Gibson '57 Classics better? Yeah, but they are 3xs more expensive. I am totally happy with the Vintage 59s.

I put a set of Classic IIs in an Agile AL-2000, LP clone. I like them, but I prefer the 59s better. The 59s are a little hotter than the IIs.

Thanks all for your help and pics. Still confused on some choices though but the mist is clearing.

PUP changes - going to go with the best PAF's I can afford, whether it's GFS, Kent Armstrong or some used Gibson or SD. Gone off the filtertron idea, just want a much better version of what I already have, not radically different in sound, just more open and involving. I though hard about a P90 in there with a PAF but there is the option get a coil tap on a humbucker if I want single coil (any feedback out there on this though please?).

Other than PUP's, nut and electrics, which I will change all, the main issue is cosmetic and, where the rusting gold bridge and stop bar is concerned I want a replacement. I've measured the space between the bridge posts and I get close to 72mm. Any suggestions how I can replace the bridge and tail with confidence that I'm not buying the wrong part or indeed, where I can buy the right part? I guess one bad thing about Samick Sheratons?

thanks again in anticipation. I'm almost there!

Archived