Gibson Brands Forums

Dot wiring specifically volume control

Musicfox

I noticed that when switch is on both pickups on my Dot, Either volume control will work it alone unlike my Jazz bass where 2 volumes "Mix" the pickups with varied degree depending on setting. I wonder why this is done? Simply for simpler main one knob volume control? But we're stuck with a 50/50 mix on the pickups when both on. I suppose one could rewire. OR is there something bad about mixing humbuckers that way? Like a Jazz bass with 2 single coils does.

Must be a clever wiring scheme to have one volume work (and other do nothing) on middle switch setting.

I noticed that when switch is on both pickups on my Dot' date=' Either volume control will work it alone unlike my Jazz bass where 2 volumes "Mix" the pickups with varied degree depending on setting. I wonder why this is done? Simply for simpler main one knob volume control? But we're stuck with a 50/50 mix on the pickups when both on. I suppose one could rewire. OR is there something bad about mixing humbuckers that way? Like a Jazz bass with 2 single coils does.

Must be a clever wiring scheme to have one volume work (and other do nothing) on middle switch setting.

[/quote']

Yep, that's the standard Gibson wiring. I guess they do it so you have a master volume, but it's an easy soldering job if you prefer independent controls. Normally, the hot lead from the pickup goes to the outer lug on the volume pot, and the center lug goes to the toggle switch. Just reverse them, hot to the middle lug and outer lug to the switch.

Although it's an easy mod, working on a semi hollow can be tricky.

Archived