Gibson Brands Forums

LP Jr anyone!!!!! lp jr thread!!!!

wardog

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They're charging $300 for the new Juniors? [biggrin] Are they made from mahogany and not tonewood this time around?

Sinking feeling setting in.[angry]

Sheila

not sure on the wood, prob have to check around and see what they say about it. felt pretty heavy not real light.

not sure on the wood' date=' prob have to check around and see what they say about it. felt pretty heavy not real light.[/quote']

Okay, go back to the store, ask for specs (including body wood, neck wood, tuners, pup, etc., etc.), write it all down, take alot of pics (I'm NOT the only one intersted in the new Juniors, I swear) and come back and post everything here![biggrin] Seriously, go . . . now! We're waiting!

Sheila

Sorry it might be a week b4 i go its a little drive out that way plus I think epi or gibson is going to be at this store once a month to do a free restring guitars with free gibby strings, not a bad deal!!! you making me gas for another guitar miss! lol

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a new Epi LP JR and modded it. got a kent armstrong p-90 (hum retrofit), kluson vintage style tuners, amber speed knobs, upgraded tone and vol pots. also i've done quite a bit of aging to the guitar.

yes, i know that i should just play the thing for thirty years so it'll age itself, but some of us like to have the aged look now rather than later.

i'll post pics asap.... there's none on my office computer

My new (to me) '57 RI set-neck bone stock, and little bolt-on sister "Black Friday" plywood Jr. with Gibson P94, LQ bridge, Gotoh tuners, rewired, and Graphtech nut installed.

Both sound great, but the RI plays better...

Twins.jpg

Twinsback.jpg

I need to sand down and refinish the back of the neck on the Black Friday:

Twinsbackhead.jpg

The '57 is 1-7/8" thick, and Black Friday is 1-5/8":

Twinsthickness2.jpg

brianh' date=' is that 57 going to be a julia!!!!!!![/quote']

I don't know yet. I'm just getting used to it. And it's far nicer than I thought it would be, I'm afraid to ruin it. If I rout any guitar in the near future it'll be Black Friday...

I went with a recommendation from a forum member here. Then I spoke to Pete at VintageVibeGuitar, and told him I was looking for a sound that had the Faces Maggie May lead tone, and he straight up nailed it.:)

Pete has my 75 Gibson PAF that he's doing a custom rewind, and Curtis Novak has my 65 Gibson single coil MM pup that also getting a custom re-wind......... Both pups will be installed in my Joan Jet MM...

Pete has my 75 Gibson PAF that he's doing a custom rewind' date=' and Curtis Novak has my 65 Gibson single coil MM pup that also getting a custom re-wind......... Both pups will be installed in my Joan Jet MM...

[/quote']

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i call first on playing it when u get done[biggrin]

Here's a sound demo of my VVG CC Rider Charlie Christian neck pup' date=' plugged stright to the mixing board with no effects

[YOUTUBE']

[/YOUTUBE]

That's the sound alright, nice to hear the clip again, thanks for posting.

Was the V.V. CC Rider specially wound, or just a standard BWB?

Also, I seem to remember that you routed the PUP cavity through to the back (like JL's). Is that really necessary? The CC Riders at V.V. seem to be shallow enough to avoid it - 0.85". The plywood Jr. I have is 1-5/8" and the '57 RI is 1-7/8" thick, so theoretically there would be enough meat left over to maintain a fair amount of rigidity.

Thanks, Brian

Yeah' date=' I esp like the tuners. I shoulda done that to Black Friday but was in a hurry and had the Gotohs laying around.

Looks nice, maybe I should put them on the '57. Sen us a pic of the back of the headstock when you're able.[/quote']

i will.... i wish i could've found just the white dot tuners, but these were great... and free! christmas is a great thing as it is, but when great presents are involved... lol

That's the sound alright' date=' nice to hear the clip again, thanks for posting.

Was the V.V. CC Rider specially wound, or just a standard BWB?

Also, I seem to remember that you routed the PUP cavity through to the back (like JL's). Is that really necessary? The CC Riders at V.V. seem to be shallow enough to avoid it - 0.85". The plywood Jr. I have is 1-5/8" and the '57 RI is 1-7/8" thick, so theoretically there would be enough meat left over to maintain a fair amount of rigidity.

Thanks, Brian[/quote']

Brian sorry for not answering all your questions last night... the Gibby forum went kapoot last night...

You have plenty of meat on your guitar to do the Lollar or VVG CC pups..... My wind was a custom request.... Tell Pete what you want and he will hit it.

Archived