Gibson Brands Forums

The whiskey was great!!!! LPJr mod!!!

wardog

ok, so must of you may have seen the lp jr in another thread i posted. I, like most on the forum, enjoy modding their guitars to something that represents them. Wether in sound or color or both. I have wanted to try my hand at modding a guitar other than pots or pup changes.

So, i took "wardog" up a knotch. I decided to buy the tools and route my LP jr to a 3 pup guitar with a toggle.

parts came from guitarfetish and stewmac to get the job done.

stewmac

templates for pup routes

push-pull pots

toggle switch

jack

sheilding paint

gfs

badass wrap around bridge

loudmouth bridge and neck pups

bigmouth neck pup

re-used tuners from first mod

homedepot

ryobi router

portable work bench-black and decker

dremel and ryobi router bits

The project was going great till i decided to take it to nyc with me. This gave me 10 days to get parts and get job done. Hard not to feel rushed. which is not good for a first time mod like this.

Measurements where copied off an lp plus top for pup/toggle/pot locations. Left the bridge pup in to assist lining up the other 2. placed brackets, then used holes to secure template and routed

CIMG0267-1.jpg

CIMG0276.jpg

CIMG0278-1.jpg

I then drilled for the toggle and the additional pots. at this point waiting for gfs order. so, I then routed for toggle and control cavaity for additional pots and painted with sheilding compound. I cut the pkgrd to match the new pup configuration. I did not do a great job on that and will be calling on twang for another!!!

CIMG0282.jpg

CIMG0286-1.jpg

CIMG0289-1.jpg

CIMG0290-1.jpg

once the gfs order can in the evening before the drive to new york city, soldering began. Final product is a 3 pup LP JR, with push-pull pots for coil tapping pups. I did a 3 vol and 1 master tone. The pups are very clear with great out put. I copied brian on the wrap around bridge with intonation option. Big improvenment!!!!

WARDOG is alive. and what a tonal moster it is.

CIMG0320.jpg

CIMG0314.jpg

CIMG0324.jpg

Things to think on!!!

black is great color to photograph. sorry if some pics are not clear enough

blue painters tape is awesome. use it , really, wrap the guitar in it. comes off great with no residue left

routing was great, but practice on scrap if u can. it takes a steady hand when doing freestyle

could not find a temple for the toggle route, pain in the A$$$ to get circular route done. which brings me to next note!!!

did i need toggle. with 3 pups, could have soldered to jk and used volume control for blending pups. maybe next time

So, what do you think, and don't woory about hurting my feeling.

WOW! Totally unreal and cool! You now realize you have a

one-of-a -kind git? Bravo on taking on the pickup addition

challenge!! I probably would have just done a repaint due to

my limited tools. Soooooo.......HOW does it sound?

Congratulations- I think it looks great!

Wish I had the talent and balls to cut into my guitar!

I was expecting to see 3 white double coil humbuckers, but it still looks great, and you cant go wrong with GFS!

Mybe I missed it, but what does the 3 way switch control....is it (treble) bridge and middle, (middle) middle only, (rhythm) middle and neck?

WOW! Totally unreal and cool! You now realize you have a

one-of-a -kind git? Bravo on taking on the pickup addition

challenge!! I probably would have just done a repaint due to

my limited tools. Soooooo.......HOW does it sound?

animal, i figure a paint job on this guy would be next mod, but for now she sounds great. the gfs pups are very clear and very loud. I can blend in all 3 pup with toggle in middle and get some great sounds. not to mention the coli tapping option

Congratulations- I think it looks great!

Mybe I missed it' date=' but what does the 3 way switch control....is it (treble) bridge and middle, (middle) middle only, (rhythm) middle and neck?[/quote']

in middle all 3 pups are on. I use the vol controls to blend in levels.

Awesome Wardog!

I need to get another bolt-on Junior just to have at it with a CC in the neck.

I bought the first one with that intention' date=' but now I like it too much to frig with it.

These little guys are addicting...[/quote']

You got me on the cc pup. i almost went that route, but decided to try 3 pup and toggle first. I very much like the Julia and I hope you beat me to that mod.

With the addition of the epi special with p90's. i am done for now.

Feck Me! You Americans think of everything in a Hotel/Motel Room.....

It obviously wasn't carried out in a Premier Inn' date=' but a good job anyway...

Looks The part! [confused

Hey!!!

I stayed at a Premier Inn in Kettering, and it was a cool little hub[cool] .... It even had a nice little pub just four staggering steps from the lobby[biggrin] ..... Granted the rooms don't have phones, and there are no elevators. But the highlight of my stay was when an older lady (about 65) started chatting with me while I was waiting for my dry cleaning, she patted my butt as she said good-bye[blink] ....bless her heart[biggrin]

Guest icantbuyafender
Hey!!!

I stayed at a Premier Inn in Kettering' date=' and it was a cool little hub[cool'] .... It even had a nice little pub just four staggering steps from the lobby[biggrin] ..... Granted the rooms don't have phones, and there are no elevators. But the highlight of my stay was when an older lady (about 65) started chatting with me while I was waiting for my dry cleaning, she patted my butt as she said good-bye[blink] ....bless her heart[biggrin]

Heck yeah!

Old is the new young.

hahahahah

NIIICE ive been eyeing those pup's.....how do ya like them and what kinda tone' date=' or humbucker can you compare them to?[/quote']

They are very hot. very loud, great string response. similar to the dirty fingers on my lp prophecy gx, but they will mud up sooner. definitely need to lower the volume to get them not to overload my 15 w amp or the 5w tube. even in clean these pups are loud and clear. I really like them!!!!

That is a very nice job. A Black Beauty Jr. You got me thinking now...

that's what i was thinking when i set forth to do the mod. after a few looks at her, I want to redo the control cavity covers and get another pkguard to get a better cut on the side up against the pickup rings.

My instructer loved the pups, he thought i was a brave man to try the mod.

NIIICE ive been eyeing those pup's.....how do ya like them and what kinda tone' date=' or humbucker can you compare them to?[/quote']

They are superb pickups, I have a set in my strat. They do brilliant warm clean tones and when you pour on overdrive they really scream. As Wardog said, they're like Dirty Fingers but more brutal. They sound especially amazing using both pickups in single-coil mode.

I'd record a sample for you, but my strat is currently out of action and for a number of reasons it's not at the top of my list to repair. As soon as I pick up some new strings, I'll swap the Loudmouths into my Les Paul and record something for you then.

It almost looks as if it would say "PRS" on the headstock... but maybe that's just me being judgmental...

after all, let's look at what PRS uses these days in most of their guitars...

wraparound bridge... check...

22 frets w/ short scale... check...

rosewood fretboard... check...

actually, it almost looks more attractive than a PRS in a way...

Archived