Gibson Brands Forums

Priorities

rdsmith3

It's on top of a bookcase. I will try the floor.

Do try that, you will get a better bass response if the amp is coupled with the floor and tilted back just a bit.

I am going to throw in a suggestion to try a Fender Blues Jr also. When the "Fat" switch is engaged, it thickens up the bottom end of your tone which can help when the bass doesn't sound as full. I would also suggest looking into a Fulltone FB3 (Fat Boost) pedal. It has a great Bass and Treble control on it. It is made to give a clean boost but can also be tweeked into some beautiful sounding overdrive. I don't hit the gain hard enough to go into distortion as I don't play metal, but combined with a Boss Blues Driver, man.... beautiful crunch through my Blues Jr.

You probably should have went with the Blackheart' date=' Vox or a small tube amp.[/quote']

The Fender Vibro Champ XD is a small Class A tube amp (5 watt, 1 12AX7 and 16V6) and is basically a champ with some built-in preamp voicings and some digital signal processing. It can be hooked up to an external cabinet (e.g. a 4 ohm cab with a larger speaker) which may change the sound substantially. I have never used one.

cal

Yep' date='

my vote goes to BlackHeart

[/quote']

I agree with Peter. I have the Blackheart Handsome Devil Head and it covers all the bases. Mostly used on the 7 watt setting with a bit of gain dialled in. Can be loud enough to do a small gig.

Just to add my very expensive 2 cents...

My scene is jazz and these days everyone - from top professionals to beginners - is playing the Henriksen amps.

http://www.jazzamp.com/

I agree with the amp option first :-k Just unearthed my ol' Dean Markley DMC-80 and it's a diferent world ... way far from todays PCs/electronics tendencies.

For home use the vibro champ is a good little amp. Look at speaker mods (8" choices must be limited though) on forums and perhaps change the tubes too and try a cab. I have the superchamp xd for a little home amp. It's 15 watts 10" all tube with dsp voicing and effects stages. Basically the bigger brother of the vibro champ. Fender produced a winner here (check out forums on the net for their undoubted popularity) but with speaker upgrade and better tubes it's simply brilliant for everything from home use to rehearsals, jams and small gigs but not medium to large gigs.

It doesn't have to be an expensive tube amp!!!!!...cheapo amp equals superb tone for me...

Absolutely agree. I spent a while hunting for my perfect amp' date=' and in the end found it in a Marshall AVT 100 hybrid amp. [biggrin It's not a cheap-*** solid state, but it's not at full tube amp prices either. Just can't get enough of that overdriven tone! I would possibly give it up for a Bogner Uberschall and a blackface Twin Reverb (I simply adore those two in stereo,) but those are both a few thousand out of my price range! [biggrin]

Archived