Gibson Brands Forums

L.P. vintage tremolo help

SG fan 420

I have just gotten a new LP special 2 GT, which has a 6 screw fender style vintage trem. I was wondering if there was a better trem that would fit without major surgery, as this one sucks bad. Body is already routed in the back from the factory. I desire something dive-bomb capable, that somewhat fits this configuration Thanx ahead of time:-k

Ps Pics are on the way.

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

Maybe a silicone nut and locking tuners.....they will assist greatly in tuning issues with the tremolo.....and considerably less surgery to the guitar and less money. As you know Hendrix was getting some pretty impressive trem effects with a unit identical to this. Nevertheless, the Guitarfetish site has some trems that might be a direct fit....take a look there. I'm not sure there is much other option for trems that have the limitless effects besides fitting a Floyd Rose in there.

Try the Fender two-point knife-edge trem. Ya, know... the one that comes on the Am. Standards? You'd have to dowl and re-drill the 6 screw holes on the top, but the rout would be the same.

Don't do a Floyd. You'd have to rout so much more, there wouldn't be any guitar left.

Don't do a Floyd. You'd have to rout so much more' date=' there wouldn't be any guitar left.

[/quote']

You wouldn't have to do any routing fitting a Floyd. Just drill 2 new holes for the pivotstuds, that's it.

Maybe a Wilkinson would be a viable divebomb-worthy alternative and less obtrusive than a floyd.

You wouldn't have to do any routing fitting a Floyd. Just drill 2 new holes for the pivotstuds' date=' that's it.

Maybe a Wilkinson would be a viable divebomb-worthy alternative and less obtrusive than a floyd.[/quote']

Umm.. Yeah, you do have to rout. A floyd is about half an inch wider than a vintage trem, the block is wider(there's where you have to do the routing), the claw is bigger... It's just overall a bigger bridge.

Umm.. Yeah' date=' you do have to rout. A floyd is about half an inch wider than a vintage trem, the block is wider(there's where you have to do the routing), the claw is bigger... It's just overall a bigger bridge.

[/quote']

I must be an extremely lucky guy...I replaced some vintage type trems with Floyds, which didn't require any additional routing. Actually it's the Floyd block that is half an inch smaller. Admittedly the tremelo-arm depending on what securing system is used can be a tight fit. But we're not talking a dramatic bodymass-altering routing job like you make it out to be. In one instance I just used a x-acto to scrape off some wood. I suppose I could have used a router for that.

A bigger claw which requires additional routing? I hadn't noticed, I always used the existing one anyway. Anyways..YMMV:)

Looking into a Wilkinson trem, or possibly an older style licenced Floyd. I'm not stressing about installing a locking nut because it's an epi, and doesn't have the sharp neck angle of a gibson. Just need something solid, as the factory trem is very flimsy. Also take into account I want to install it floating style so I can do pull-ups as well. Thanks for the imput so far, fellas[biggrin]

If you plan on installing a Floyd, you will most definately need a lock nut. The most practical thing to do is to mount it after the nut...over the truss hole.

But this still poses a potential problem. My Epi S-500 came set up exactly like that, but with the Westone style trem and locknut. When I switched over to a Floyd, the Floyd locknut screw holes were narrower - and one of them sits along side the truss hole with nothing to screw into. Needless to say, my locknut is being held on with only one screw.

This may not end up being the case for you, but it is something to look into before spending money on a Floyd set up.

I feel that the Wilkinson would be the safest route IMO.

With a non-recessed Floyd, your up-bends will be very limited anyway. Not to mention that beyond all of the modifications required just to install it, they tend to be fairly high maintenence trems. And setting the intonation is not for the faint of heart.

Oh, and unless you were to buy a *real* Floyd Rose trem (not a 'licensed by') they dont really stand up to much abuse at all.

I must be an extremely lucky guy...I replaced some vintage type trems with Floyds' date=' which didn't require any additional routing. Actually it's the Floyd block that is half an inch smaller. Admittedly the tremelo-arm depending on what securing system is used can be a tight fit. But we're not talking a dramatic bodymass-altering routing job like you make it out to be. In one instance I just used a x-acto to scrape off some wood. I suppose I could have used a router for that.

A bigger claw which requires additional routing? I hadn't noticed, I always used the existing one anyway. Anyways..YMMV:)

[/quote']

You MUST be lucky... I helped a friend put a Floyd on a MIM Strat. What a pain...ended up having to enlarge the block-rout about 1/2in. and the rout for the claw about 1/8 in. Ended up looking and playing really good though...

I vote for the Wilkinson or the Fender 2 point. Both should perform equally well.

Archived