Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone here ever regret getting a dot over a sheraton?

willmak

I was looking for a semi-hollow and was deciding between a dot or a sheraton. The sheraton seems better constructed and is eye candy galore but I opted for a dot instead to save money for new pups, bigsby and amp. While I am waiting for my dot to arrive, I was wondering whether or not this was a smart choice and if anyone else who has ever purchased a dot ever felt the same.

having bought the sheraton instead, no. [biggrin] then after trading the sheraton for an es-333, and having that give way to an elitist sheraton, still no.

different animals, though. i reckons the dots had chubbier (hog) necks and the sheratons had a slimmer, 5pc maple neck. made a huge difference to me. for example, i couldn't have flats on the es-333 (or elitist), but loved them on the (standard) sheraton.

I was planning on getting a good second hand Dot, was going to get it next summer. But another Samick Sheraton near identical, tobacco burst, to the one I have came up for a good price.

It is different to the one I have, because it has the "Epiphone by Gibson" headstock, so I went for that. Pick it up in two weeks.

So as my two Sheratons with different pickups (Lollar mini's in one, PAF clones in the other) will fill all my needs in the 335 slot.

I unfortunately will never get the chance to own a Dot, I think the Cherry dots are beautiful.

Necks on the Sheratons suit me, never tried a Dot but would like to know how the necks feel in comparison to the Sheraton.

I've got both. The Sheraton has more bling and a slim profile nick, which I like, and it sounds different than my Dot. I have the same pickups in both, GFS Vintage 59s. My Sherry is brighter than my Dot. My Dot has a warmer tone. The neck on my Dot is a little chunkier than I prefer, but I get over that fairly fast when I start playing it.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

I went with the Dot Deluxe - same price as a regular dot and you get some nice stuff with it: flam top, '57 classic humbuckers (very warm sounding), gold hardware. Tuners are grovers too. The only cosmetic differences are: Dot inlays vs. block, neck binding and headstock inlays are more ornate on the Sherri. I bought mine with a 15% discount too, brought the price down to $340. At the time Epiphone had tried rasing their prices $100 on some models. That immediately eliminated the Sherri. It went from $599 to $699. Now it's back to $599. Still too much of a difference now that I own my Dot. I like the neck. It's like the newer '50s necks (which are like the old 60's necks). It's not that chuncky and feels real nice. Hope you enjoy your Dot.

About 20 years ago I had a Sheraton and used it a lot. Loved it, although I didn't like the cheap gold hardware or the thin neck (everyone has their preference). Sold it for the wrong reasons and was Epi-less for most of that 20 years since. A few years ago I bought a gold sparkletop LP Standard, Limited Edition with a Bigsby, Korean. REAL nice guitar, but a bit heavy and I still hankered for that semihollow vibe. Just last week I completed a trade, wherein I was the recipient of a fairly new Korean Dot. It's ebony, it's neck is in-between the thin/flat Sherry and the usual round Dot. I would have preferred the usual Dot roundness, but this is good enough. It's lighter than the LP, and I prefer it's neck-access, too. The best part is the electronics. It features VintageVibe Charlie Christian HB-sized models, called the HCC. They seem to be a kind of P90 in the HB-size, but they're voiced differently, more supposed to be jazzboxy. The previous owner is a total wiring geek, and I had him install push-pulls for series/parallel and in/out of phase selections. I'm selling the LP, and my Tele, too. Dang, this is REALLY good! Dots are the deal.

Hi, never tried a Sheraton but I can't really fault the Dot I have. My Dot is my first (and so far only) semi so I can't offer any comparison but I am very pleased with the guitar - the only mod I plan on making is changing the knobs to either chrome or black.

hope this helps

7C

I actually kinda regret gettn rid of my dot to fund my purchase of my Riveria P93, I actually prefer a fat neck, I got big hands....and I didnt realize that the riv would be that different from my dot, but the neck is really skinny and took a while getting used to, thats why I think I am going to go the dot route again very soon, only becasue everyone says the sheri has a slim profile neck, you really have to play both guitars blind, to hear what ya like, besides that the only reason I wanted a sheri was for all the BLINGGGG

Man I hope the neck won't be too much of an issue. I can work with both the dot and sheraton neck, but I personally liked the sheraton neck more! Sigh...the dot was only 356 dollars tho and came with a Seymour duncan JG and Jazz humbuckers, bigsby, new nut, and rewired electronics tho. I just hope I made the right choice....monday cant come soon enough!

Man I hope the neck won't be too much of an issue. I can work with both the dot and sheraton neck' date=' but I personally liked the sheraton neck more! Sigh...the dot was only 356 dollars tho and came with a Seymour duncan JG and Jazz humbuckers, bigsby, new nut, and rewired electronics tho. I just hope I made the right choice....monday cant come soon enough![/quote']

You won't be dissapointed, the dot's neck is a dream to play on.

It wasn't very large....there was just enough room to cram the drums in corner over by the Dodge' date='

It was a '54 with a mashed up door and a cheesy little amp,

With a sign on the front said Fender Champ and a second hand guitar,

It was a Stratocaster with a whammy bar......

Frank Zappa R.I.P.

[/quote']

Best sig on the forum :(

Archived