Gibson Brands Forums

"Epiphone by Gibson" headstock Sheraton owners club

Hey great photos interesting is it possible to get a close up of the headstock back and front it seems your fonts are different might be because your serial is earliest we have recorded on this thread.......but we need a photo and a close up of the headstock, also the TRC is different too, in so much that it has the epiphone e, and it would be good to see that serial label...Looks like my two tobacco bursts. Another thing that interests me about these guitars is Musikron who handles a lot of guitars says is feels heavy...I am waiting to weigh my 1987 E-by-G next to my 1989 sherri to gauge the weight. Just interested if it is a wood selection thing....for better or worse....

We have 6,069 registered forum members and have had 1,106 visits to this thread.

Astounding........still only have 2 proven owners of a "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheraton on this forum.

NaturalScience2112 (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 2 (tobacco, sn:6066698))

Musikron (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 1 (natural, sn:6094580))

who own "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons (samick build 1986-1988) with the

ebg.jpg

Headstock

Please if anyone else knows of anyone else who owns one, or sees one for sale, drop me a line.

Font on the serial sticker is the same, binding looks "stronger", font on the headstock inlay is definitely different......wonder if the earlier ones during the transition...........this is interesting.....hope we can find more early 1986 pre June models to compare....

.................................................................................................................................

We have 6,069 registered forum members and have had 1,165 visits to this thread.

Astounding........still only have 2 proven owners of a "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheraton on this forum.

ebg.jpg

Headstock

Please if anyone else knows of anyone else who owns one, or sees one for sale, drop me a line.

Yes Smips

This will all come out as more people come forward with these guitars....That capital "E"....does look disturbing but let us get all the information on these guitars and compare features...None of the others have an a TRC like that.

We are talking 1986 to 1988 when these were made, benefit of the doubt at the moment......lets get all the information in and then try and find out what went on in those days of production....

Sheila are they yours? Tomorrow, I pick up a 1987 like that but with plan black TRC. The whole purpose of this thread is to to concentrate on the 1986-88 Sherris and try and make sense of the serials and see if there are differences with later Sherri's weight etc....

this is the guitar I am buying tomorrow, if it plays OK...

ebyg.jpg

But Sheila who owns these guitars you are posting?

.................................................................................................................................

to be included in this list we need photographs of your guitar especially the headstock back and front

We have 6,072 registered forum members and have had 1,260 visits to this thread.

Astounding........still only have 2 proven owners of "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons on this forum.

ebg.jpg

Headstock

[laugh]

That truss rod cover with the epi "e" looks legit' date='

But a Capital E in Epiphone,

[img']http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/5769/capev.jpg[/img]

Haven't ever seen that b4, really caught my eye.

Epiphone used a cursive E going back to the 1930s:

epihead2.jpgepihead1.jpg

In fact, I had a 1982 Emperor (Matsumoku) that had the cursive E:

Epi_MIJ_Emperor_head.jpg

The original late '80s Korean Samicks were similar to Matsumokus, so it's not surprising that they originally adopted the cursive E. But I will say, that's the first one I've seen, it must be one of the first ones made. Maybe even a prototype.

As a side point, the story I heard is that the by Gibson was added to the Samicks to easily distinguish them from the Matsumokus.

Astounding........still only have 2 proven owners of "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons on this forum.

Joe' date=' one thing to consider is that Epiphone was a dying company in 1986, they didn't sell a whole lot of guitars at that time. In fact, Epiphone had less than $1 million revenue in 1985. It was January 1986 that Juszkiewicz, Berryman & Zebrowski purchased Gibson and decided to revamp the Epiphone line. And even though Epiphone grew at a good rate in those first few years, there were production problems (fire, flood, labor problems) that made it difficult to maintain a steady flow of instruments. So there might not be as many of those [i']Epiphone by Gibson[/i] as you might think.

Jerrymac wrote:

Joe, one thing to consider is that Epiphone was a dying company in 1986, they didn't sell a whole lot of guitars at that time. In fact, Epiphone had less than $1 million revenue in 1985. It was January 1986 that Juszkiewicz, Berryman & Zebrowski purchased Gibson and decided to revamp the Epiphone line. And even though Epiphone grew at a good rate in those first few years, there were production problems (fire, flood, labor problems) that made it difficult to maintain a steady flow of instruments. So there might not be as many of those Epiphone by Gibson as you might think.

Jerry that is why I find this period so fascinating...also makes sense that if Ephphone was struggling at that time, that they may have added the "by Gibson" to pull on the Gibson brand to help sales...

OK if I have got it right these 1986-88 guitars with the E-by-G are the earliest made in Korea.........The factory before was in Japan.....Matsumoku factory........ The font used by Matsumoku was similar to one used back to 1930's. Then in 1986 there is change in headstock by adding "by Gibson" to denote the break from Japan to Korea production......

Jerrymac wrote:

I heard is that the by Gibson was added to the Samicks to easily distinguish them

NaturalScience2112's Sheraton has a very different font but it is the earliest 1986 we have record of on this forum....as you say Jerry it may be an early prototype...?

Musikron wrote:

So tomorrows the day huh Joe? Bet ya can't wait. I hope shes a good one!

Yes, tomorrow, I am really looking forward to seeing the guitar and hoping it is sound and plays to my liking.

So tomorrows the day huh Joe? Bet ya can't wait. I hope shes a good one!

Jerry Mac- Which one are you thinking is a prototype? The strange E posted or the one you had with a cursive e?

The strange by Gibson one.

OK if I have got it right these 1986-88 guitars with the E-by G are the earliest made in Korea.........The factory before was in Japan.....Matsumoku factory........ The font used by Matsumoku was similar to one used back to 1930's. The in 1986 there is change to denote the break from Japan to Korea production......

There were some Korean made Epis prior to 1986' date=' I think 1983 was the first ones, but they were not impressive. In was in 1986 that the new owners decided to revive the brand (see my last post) and bring back the Sheraton. The first Korean Sherrys had the [i']by Gibson[/i], and at that time, Matsumoku was still making them in Japan for the Japanese market. Matsumoku closed down in 1988, coincidentally about the same time they dropped by Gibson from the headstock. Terada and FujiGen took over the manufacturing in Japan for the Japanese market, and those guitars evolved into the Orvilles and Epiphone Japan lines, then eventually the Elitist.

So I keep getting drawn back to NaturalScience2112s' example. I was looking at the headstock thinking the whole thing just looked different, and now am certain they are not the same design. The vine is not the same, at all. Which in my knowledge should place that guitar at a different factory or time period. I need to sleep then try to date that flower design, and see when it first and last turns up, and at what factory. Strange indeed. I know they just used random serial numbers then, a label was just pulled off of a roll and placed on the guitar. There were many rolls at many stations, and I'm sure some numbers never even got used, but stuck to the bottoms of shoes or thrown out.

NaturalScience2112- got any better pics? Detailing the whole guitar maybe?

Jerrymac wrote:

The strange by Gibson one

this is the one I will hopefully be bringing home.

ebyg.jpg

Musikron wrote:

NaturalScience2112- got any better pics? Detailing the whole guitar maybe?

a big +1 from me on that this is a very interesting guitar....

to be included in this list we need photographs of your guitar especially the headstock back and front

We have 6,074 registered forum members and have had 1,330 visits to this thread.

ebg.jpg

Headstock

Sheila are they yours? . . . The whole purpose of this thread is to to concentrate on the 1986-88 Sherris and try and make sense of the serials and see if there are differences with later Sherri's weight etc....

Don't I wish.

I posted these three pics in response to the earlier post in regards to the question of the 'E' in Epiphone on the headstock. Just providing other guitars to compare to.

The one you're getting . . . beautiful!!

Sheila

BTW the first two pics are ones that are for sale. No i have no connection. I just really like this guys collection of guitars. He has WAAAAAY too many for one person (if that is possible!)!

http://www.robwesley.com/guitars/sales.html

Sheila wrote:

The one you're getting . . . beautiful!!

Sheila

BTW the first two pics are ones that are for sale. No i have no connection. I just really like this guys collection of guitars. He has WAAAAAY too many for one person (if that is possible!)!

Thanks on two counts. I had a look at the guitars in the link...really backs up what Musikron says about hi E-by-G that it is real heavy and well built (hopefully some nice wood in there and no particle board...recent thread...eek) the guy in the link says 9 1/2 lb

Just nice to see some examples of these E-by-G's out there. (I have just thought of name for my new addition tomorrow. The "EEbeeGeebee" [confused] )

Thanks Sheila

1588854-xscuseless.gif

We have 6,074 registered forum members and have had 1,364 visits to this thread.

ebg.jpg

Headstock

Thanks on two counts. I had a look at the guitars in the link...really backs up what Musikron says about hi E-by-G that it is real heavy and well built (hopefully some nice wood in there and no particle board...recent thread...eek) the guy in the link says 9 1/2 lb

Just nice to see some examples of these E-by-G's out there. (I have just thought of name for my new addition tomorrow. The "EEbeeGeebee" [confused] )

Thanks Sheila

You're Welcome and You're Welcome!

The rest of us will just call her Eebie![cool]

Have fun with her!

Sheila